Moderate Wrinkling on Lithops

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
StarDragon

Moderate Wrinkling on Lithops

Post by StarDragon »

My otherwise healthy looking Lithops abruptly has moderate wrinkling on their sides. They were watered relatively recently, albeit very little, since they were plump when they were purchased & are very sensitive to over-watering, from what I gather. They didn't do it until after they were moved into longer exposure to sunlight, after they showed that there was no evidence of the beginnings of sunburn, when they were in mildly less exposure to sunlight. Initially, only the youngest one showed the wrinkles, then the two older ones. The two older ones did it even after I moved them to the area I usually reserve for cacti & succulents that do not like full sun in this type of area, & new plants that may need more gradual acclimation. I'm aware they are very tough, but I have had them for only roughly 3 or 4 weeks, so I suspected it may have been an acclimation problem. They currently are not showing any other signs of ill health & I'm reluctant to try to scrape away some dirt to check the roots, in case that causes further stress. They awhile were fine after I purchased & repotted them, so I don't think its transplant shock. What other problems could be causing this?
greenknight

Re: Moderate Wrinkling on Lithops

Post by greenknight »

You gave them just a little water, is that what you're saying? Sounds like they need a good drink, moisture may not have gotten down to the root zone. The way to treat Lithops is to leave them dry until they get a bit wrinkled, then give them a good soaking.
Spence :mrgreen:
StarDragon

Post by StarDragon »

Yes, I was giving them a small amount, due to finding out how sensitive to over-watering they seem. I don't recall ever seeing anything specifically stating that you have to wait until they get wrinkled, but it makes sense. Most things I read were either vague or, I now know, a little overzealous regarding their sensitivity. Sounds like mine certainly just need a big swig of water. Thanks
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I picked up that bit of wisdom on the forums here, actually, but I've followed it with my Lithops and they do fine. The credit should go to iann, who knows more about growing Lithops and other Mesembs than I ever will.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

My lithops looks the same as you discribed for a while now, I've tried giving it more wather and didn't help much. Otherwise it looks pretty healthy. I have it for a year now and I think it looks smaller then when I purchased it. It had one change of leaves meanwhile but no flowering :/
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

What kind of potting mix is it growing in?
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

He's in the tinniest pot I have in a thick sand + fertilized soil mix, covered with more sand
Attachments
IMG_1054.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG (60.4 KiB) Viewed 8350 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Did you clean all the old mix off the roots when you re-potted it? How much soil is in that mix, and what kind of soil? There should be little organic matter in the mix for Lithops, it should take up water very quickly but not retain much.

I would unpot it shortly after watering and see if the root ball is moistened clear though.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

thanks!
StarDragon

Post by StarDragon »

I'm still having a problem with this, so I now suspect its a soil problem also.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Well, I started soaking my lithops every time the soil dryed all up, he still has some wrikles, but look how much bigger he is.
Attachments
lithops.jpg
lithops.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks great! Seems the roots are okay, it just wasn't getting enough water. Must be that the soil in that tiny pot just doesn't hold very much water - a Lithops can soak up quite a bit of it. Be careful not to overdo it, though, Lithops don't know when to stop taking up water, they can split if watered too much. Keep watering this way as long as the plant has wrinkles, but if the wrinkles go away don't water any more until it begins to wrinkle again. In this way you can be sure you won't kill it with over-watering (that's the easiest way to kill them, it's hard to kill them with under-watering!)
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I know, i've been so afraid of over-watering my succies that I'm under-watering them. But I'll getting the hang of it!

I'm so glad my plants are doing better thanks to you guys, thank a lot!
SarahKate

Post by SarahKate »

I have had 2 Lithops for about 5 months now. One was very tiny( and still is)the other was much bigger. Yesterday we were taking down our Christmas tree and my husband thinks he bumped it and my big one broke off. Is there any saving? And my little one has slight wrinkling. I gave it a bit of water and it ran out the bottom almost immediately. I have a small Hobbit Crassula in there with it. It is winter here in Ohio. Am I doing anything wrong?( I can't figure out how to post a pic).
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

You can reroot Lithops. Unless you have cut it into half...