Corking or disease/rot?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Cactimich

Corking or disease/rot?

Post by Cactimich »

Hello Cacti enthusiasts :D

I am a new cactus care taker, as my partner has recently inherited some cacti from his grandparents. The cacti (as of yet unknown species) were moved from their original home of northern Italy, where it was warmer and they were kept mainly outdoors, to a cooler climate where they are now kept indoors, but close to windows and in the sunniest locations possible. I have not re-potted them or anything, and have recently, with the start of spring, begun to water them more regularly. The cacti (most obvious on the largest specimen) seem to be grey/brown/yellow near the base and upwards, but this tissue is not soft. Because of this I don't think it is rot. After researching via the internet, I suspect that this is just natural corking which comes with age, but as a novice, I cannot be sure. I have attached a picture of the affected area, and would be very thankful for any advice/ideas, and perhaps even help ID'ing the specimen.
Attachments
Full Specimen
Full Specimen
Pic1.jpg (61.83 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Close up
Close up
Pic2.jpg (143.53 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
hegar

Re: Corking or disease/rot?

Post by hegar »

To me your cactus looks just like an old Echinopsis sp. that had its "pups" removed over some time period in the past. If you did have a rot, the seven visible pups would not be looking as healthy as they do. So the discolored area seems to be age-related.
The top of the plant, however, is a bit cone-shaped. This would indicate to me, that the plant does not receive sufficient light and its new growth is etiolated. You will need to give your cactus a supplemental light source in order to keep the diameter of the old cactus top from becoming disfigured.
The pups do have the correct shape. Could it be, that they receive more light than the top of the mother plant?

Harald
Cactimich

Post by Cactimich »

Hello Harald,

Thank you so much for your reply! I am glad to hear you agree that the discoloration is age related. I had noticed the etiolated growth as well, and am trying to get the cacti more light to combat this problem. As for the pups receiving more light, I don't think so, but perhaps the sunlight streaming into my sunroom comes in at an angle better suited for them than the larger cactus. Do you know if it is better to remove the pups, or allow them to continue growing on the main stem?

Thanks again!
hegar

Post by hegar »

There are some members of the Echinopsis genus which produce a huge number of pups. You can leave them on the mother plant, but if they crowd each other too much, it is better to give them their own pot. My red-flowering Echinopsis candicans also produces many pups higher up on the stem of the mother plant. I do remove those about every other year. Another Echinopsis (E. eyriesii) spreads more horizontally and the group is getting bigger every year. With that plant I separate the pups that would intrude on the space being used by other cacti. Those pups, because they do make soil contact, usually form their own root system, which makes the separation and transplanting a little easier and safer for the plant. When either breaking the pup off or cutting it off the mother plant, be careful and do not cause too large a wound. However, most of the time there will be an open wound caused by the separation. Fortunately, most of these wounds heal rapidly. Keep the surface clean by using a knife that had its blade sterilized by brushing it with isopropyl alcohol or dipping it into a bleach solution. You can also apply a little bit of sulfur at the cut part or - if that part will be inserted into the growing medium - you could also apply a little bit of rooting hormone. That substance is not very expensive and I still do have some of it which I bought over ten years ago. I am not even sure, if it is effective any longer. There is even a fungicide present as an ingredient of the powder.

Harald
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I'd say it is E. eyriesii, just had the older pups removed. They break off easily, no need to cut (cutting does more damage). It leaves a tiny wound, no need to treat it - the tissue of the joint is adapted to sealing it off (on all plants). The pups don't need any treatment, either, they root very fast without rooting hormone. Mine had one that was only the size of a pea get knocked off (cats, I expect), it had already begun to grow roots by the time I discovered it.

I would leave some of the pups on there, just thin them out when they crowd too much. To encourage flowers, give ot good light, a bit of fertilizer, and a cool winter rest - http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... r_rest.htm
Spence :mrgreen:
Cactimich

Post by Cactimich »

Hello again Cacti Enthusiasts!

I have found the replies to my earlier post in April helpful, but now find myself still worried about my Echinopsis. The affliction seems to be spreading further up the cactus, and I am worried that this might be something other than corking, perhaps even red spider mites. I do see some webs, but don't see any pests (but I am also not well versed in finding them, and from what I understand they are very small). I have attached more photos of that original cactus. What else is alarming is that some of my other cacti are now also not looking too great, and I have posted some pictures of one of these as well. I am worried!!

Thank you again for the continued support and information :D
Attachments
Damage on a different cactus
Damage on a different cactus
Pic_A.jpg (111.77 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Spreading damage on original Echinopsis I posted about.
Pic_D.jpg (94.57 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Pic_B.jpg (92.37 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Closer view of spreading damage on original Echinopsis I posted about.
Closer view of spreading damage on original Echinopsis I posted about.
Pic_C.jpg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Red Spider Mites are almost invisible, with a strong magnifier you might be able to spot some. You don't need to, though, between the damage and the webbing you have more than enough to diagnose them - treat all your cacti for Spider Mites.
Spence :mrgreen: