My ferocactus has weird wrinkles

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Tuuumas

My ferocactus has weird wrinkles

Post by Tuuumas »

So I replanted my cacti about 4 months ago, and after that the biggest one has become to show wrinkles. I have included photos. Now i read that if the cactus is drying it makes wrinkles, so I gave it more water few days back, but nothing has happened yet. Otherwise the cactus seems healthy, but it was a bit under lit before i moved it in there. Are those little wrinkles normal or should i be worried? Should i give it more water? The white stuff on it is dust. Also their ground is pure sand, is that a problem?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-28 at 22.39.26.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-28 at 22.39.26.jpeg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-28 at 22.39.05.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-28 at 22.39.05.jpeg (102.9 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
cactushobbyman

Re: My ferocactus has weird wrinkles

Post by cactushobbyman »

I don't think it is a Ferocactus. A better picture will help.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I would guess at an Echinopsis, for now.
Tuuumas wrote:Now i read that if the cactus is drying it makes wrinkles, so I gave it more water few days back, but nothing has happened yet.
I have never heard of that. I wonder what source you have for this information...
Tuuumas wrote:Should i give it more water?
No! The one main reason for succulents to die is too excessive waterings. If in doubt, no matter what kind of doubt, don't water! That should be your number one rule. Nothing is wrong for a succulent plant to wrinkle. Not the wrinkling itself, at least. Of course wrinkling could be an indication the plant has no roots, so cannot take up water. But even a plant like yours of that size can survive for many years in a warm greenhouse without water, if it needs to. Many succulents can shrink maybe half or one third of its size after a long dormancy. So don't worry about too little water in almost every scenario, assuming the plants still has roots.

Your plant does not look wrinkly to me, by the way.
Tuuumas

Post by Tuuumas »

I think this is ferocactus
Attachments
IMG_20170429_111111.jpg
IMG_20170429_111111.jpg (106.5 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Tuuumas

Post by Tuuumas »

Aiko wrote:I would guess at an Echinopsis, for now.
Tuuumas wrote:Now i read that if the cactus is drying it makes wrinkles, so I gave it more water few days back, but nothing has happened yet.
I have never heard of that. I wonder what source you have for this information...
Tuuumas wrote:Should i give it more water?
No! The one main reason for succulents to die is too excessive waterings. If in doubt, no matter what kind of doubt, don't water! That should be your number one rule. Nothing is wrong for a succulent plant to wrinkle. Not the wrinkling itself, at least. Of course wrinkling could be an indication the plant has no roots, so cannot take up water. But even a plant like yours of that size can survive for many years in a warm greenhouse without water, if it needs to. Many succulents can shrink maybe half or one third of its size after a long dormancy. So don't worry about too little water in almost every scenario, assuming the plants still has roots.

Your plant does not look wrinkly to me, by the way.

I read that from this forum
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Looks like an etiolated Echinopsis to me also.

:)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I would agree an Echinopsis also. The plant looks fine. May have not had the right conditions early in life, but it looks good.
sunlover7

Post by sunlover7 »

It looks ok to me too. :-) Has the cactus been growing in pure sand for a long time? I can't think of any potted cactus that do well in pure sand, only, but that doesn't mean there are none. If it's an echinopsis, hybrid or relative, it might be happier in a more varied potting mix with regular feeding. There are some great how-to articles and posts on here that explain how to make your own mineral mix, if you haven't already checked them out. :-)
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I'd definitely take it oud of pure sand!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: