Sunburn, Rot or Other?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Briscactus

Sunburn, Rot or Other?

Post by Briscactus »

Moving my plants in from the rain I noticed a couple of black spots on one (been told it's Notocactus Parodia). One spot is in the middle of the pic the other is down to the right. Any idea what has caused it? Thanks.
Attachments
20170611_123635-1.jpg
20170611_123635-1.jpg (269.4 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
hegar

Re: Sunburn, Rot or Other?

Post by hegar »

I will go with the choice of "other". However, I am not sure, what could have caused the damage around these two areoles. Is the plant tissue around the lesions discolored and softer than for the rest of the plant, and growing in size? Also, do you have an open wound within the lesion?
In those cases you may need to do some surgery, in order to prevent the spread of a bacterium or fungus that has invaded your cactus.
Otherwise it would be best to just leave the plant alone and periodically check these two spots of concern for changes.

Harald
rsales3

Post by rsales3 »

Not quite sure if those tiny white specks are mealy bugs or something else but you should investigate. Hard to tell from the picture. Mealy bugs would not normally cause the dark areas as would a fungal infection as Harald has described.

-Rei
Briscactus

Post by Briscactus »

How would I tell if they're bugs and should i remove them if they are?
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I take a tip of a name tag and smash them. If they can be smashed, most likely they will be mealies; and yes remove them. :)
rsales3

Post by rsales3 »

As cactushobbyman said, if they can be smashed then most likely they are mealies. The adult mealies will pop and you will see a dark liquid. I would test a few with a poke/smash method, then spray the entire plant with insecticide or systemic insect killer. I have recently tried the Miracle-Gro Nature's Care Garden Insect Control with good results. Home Depot carries it.

If the white spots are mealy bugs, on this plant or any others, isolate the plant from others. In a shaded area outside, saturate the plant with the insecticide, the Miracle-Gro kills the insects in less than an hour. In a few days, the dead bugs should brush off with a soft brush, a paint brush should work. I would re-saturate the plant again within 4 to 5 days. Keep the plant out of direct sun light during the treatment period. The MG Insecticidal soap also works well for me. No harm to my cactus with either product. Keep an eye on your other plants, mealy bugs do spread. Good luck.

Description of the MG product: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro- ... /204631806