Red Spider Mite? Silly Question but Please Advise!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
maisondecactus

Red Spider Mite? Silly Question but Please Advise!

Post by maisondecactus »

Hi,
I found these red spider mite (or could be clover mite) around my cacti. It's been driving me mad! I have two questions:

1) I attached images and please let me know if they are really red spider mites? I squished one of them and it left a bright red smear... (sorry to be a bit gory!).
They were crawling over my Mammilaria and then barrel cactus and the other smaller one (I don't know the name).

2) I bought Bug Killer and it has 5% acetamiprid (0.05g/L) in it. Do I just pray it all over the cacti from top to bottom? Some of them are flowering and I don't want to ruin them...

Thank you for viewing my post and any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Apologies for the dirty window frame! I need to clean it!
Apologies for the dirty window frame! I need to clean it!
IMG_4598.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Squished insect. Left red smear.
Squished insect. Left red smear.
IMG_4600.jpg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 612 times
On my precious flower!
On my precious flower!
IMG_4621.jpg (33.95 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Stuff I bought from B & Q
Stuff I bought from B & Q
IMG_4627.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Contents of the miticide (acetamiprid 0.05g/L)
Contents of the miticide (acetamiprid 0.05g/L)
IMG_4628.jpg (68.11 KiB) Viewed 612 times
greenknight

Re: Red Spider Mite? Silly Question but Please Advise!

Post by greenknight »

Red spider mites are not that large, or that red - they're just tiny, moving dots; you need a magnifier to see them clearly. Look for webbing and damage to the plants' epidermis. See - http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#spidermite

Those larger, very red mites in the photos are harmless to your plants, may even be predator mites which are beneficial. Don't spray at all unless you find actual pests - spraying if it's not needed can encourage an infestation by wiping out predators, and increases the chance of pests developing resistance to that pesticide.

If there is a need to spray, you do need to cover the entire surface of the cacti.
Spence :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

I agree with greenknight. That mite is way too large to be a pest. It is a predatory mite and will not harm your plants. "Red Spider Mites" are not truly red, but do have a reddish splotchy body, not a bright red one. They also do produce webbing. That is where the name "spider mite" is derived from. They also do move rather slowly, while the predator mites move rapidly, at least for a mite.

Harald
maisondecactus

Post by maisondecactus »

Thank you so much for your replies!!! So glad they were not red spider mites!
BUT OMG, I squished quite a lot of them!!! I hope some will survive to get the bad insects.
Now I can sleep. Thank you!

Kyoko