Help saving my Peruvian!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
bblove

Help saving my Peruvian!

Post by bblove »

I have an indoor/potted Peruvian that has 3 large pieces. I moved it outside the other day, since the smallest piece was getting some scaling and it was looking paler green. After just one day outside, the small piece got dark brown spots that grew even after I moved it out of full sun. It has looked worse every day now. I don't know if it's rot, scale, some other issue, or just sunburn, but I think I need to remove it and try to save the two pieces that still look good.
My question is -- can I cut out of the small piece that is having the issue and leave the other two in the pot, OR do I need to cut the two healthy pieces, let them callous, and re-pot them completely?
Thanks in advance. I am so bummed about this cactus and want to act fast!
hegar

Re: Help saving my Peruvian!

Post by hegar »

If you are dealing with a pathogen, it would be best, if you would take out the two healthy stem pieces, let the callous over and place them in a new pot with fresh growing medium. Otherwise, there is a good chance, that you will have the good stems infected as well.
However, be very careful and use only clean cutting utensils, i.e. dip the knife blade in rubbing alcohol or apply bleach before you cut into the plant. Place the cut stems on their side out of the sun and let the cut surface heal for about two weeks. Then you can place the cactus in the new pot and "soil". Roots should form pretty quickly, once the cut end is in contact with the growing medium. Be careful with the watering at first.

Fortunately, Cereus peruvianus cacti are pretty tough plants and do grow quickly. I had one cutting a few years ago, which I obtained from a lady, who lives on my street. She had those cactus stems in the ground and they were so tall, that they reached the roof line. Unfortunately, both she and I lost our plant(s), when we experienced a very unusually cold winter. We both should have cut off the stems and taken them indoors, until the cold snap was over. :(

Harald
bblove

Post by bblove »

hegar wrote:If you are dealing with a pathogen, it would be best, if you would take out the two healthy stem pieces, let the callous over and place them in a new pot with fresh growing medium. Otherwise, there is a good chance, that you will have the good stems infected as well.
However, be very careful and use only clean cutting utensils, i.e. dip the knife blade in rubbing alcohol or apply bleach before you cut into the plant. Place the cut stems on their side out of the sun and let the cut surface heal for about two weeks. Then you can place the cactus in the new pot and "soil". Roots should form pretty quickly, once the cut end is in contact with the growing medium. Be careful with the watering at first.

Fortunately, Cereus peruvianus cacti are pretty tough plants and do grow quickly. I had one cutting a few years ago, which I obtained from a lady, who lives on my street. She had those cactus stems in the ground and they were so tall, that they reached the roof line. Unfortunately, both she and I lost our plant(s), when we experienced a very unusually cold winter. We both should have cut off the stems and taken them indoors, until the cold snap was over. :(

Harald
Thank you -- I appreciate the help. I removed the unhealthy piece for now, changed much of the soil, and am watching it closer. I am ready to remove the other two pieces if they look like anything is changed.
bblove

Post by bblove »

I bought the systemic insecticide imidacloprid to help get rid of the scale that is starting up again on the other healthy pieces -- does anyone know the best ratio of insectidice to water for cacti?

(Note that the rotted piece I removed was where the scaling started and we cleaned it well with diluted alcohol, so I'm a little concerned that is why it got the harsh sunburn, even though we cleaned it more than 6 months ago.)