Stopped growth of seedling

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

Stopped growth of seedling

Post by ElieEstephane »

So these seedling were growing very well under grow lights in winter and were looking very plump. I then moved them oustide in bright shade where it's pretty warm and everything else is growing well. After being outside of almost 2 months, there is absolutely no new growth. In fact they shrinked in size and some turned yellowish. (Picture 1)
What might be the problem? How can it be fixed?

Bonus question:
In a previous post i mentionned that my seedlings were growing weirdly and everyone assured me it's okay. It didnt turn out okay :lol: here's what they look like. (Pictures 2, 3 and 4). My questions are they simply 2 growth tips or a monstrose?
Im still learning to grow from seeds and any input is appreciated.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Eikos

Re: Stopped growth of seedling

Post by Eikos »

Sunburn, perhaps? The path of the sun should've changed in that time; are they getting too much light?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Eikos wrote:Sunburn, perhaps? The path of the sun should've changed in that time; are they getting too much light?
No it's definitely not a sunburn because rheyvare in a bright shaded area on the porch where they don't receive any direct sun.
I think im starting tobsee some progress though so i'll keep updating things.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
hegar

Post by hegar »

There are other possibilities to consider. The plants, which have been grown under controlled conditions indoors, do need some time to adjust to the new outdoor environment. This will set them back at least for a few weeks or perhaps a month or so. In addition, even if they are not placed in full sunlight, factors like wind and humidity level of the air, will have an impact on your plants' growth.
The plant may actually need more water than were it grown indoors, because the wind also does pull moisture out of it. This would definitely be the case where I live (Chihuahua Desert).
However, I am not an expert in growing cacti from seed. I always purchase seedling plants and take it from there. I do have a few plants though, that managed to grow from seed, but without any help from me, except for throwing some water on the ground more or less once a week during spring and until the end of fall.

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

hegar wrote:There are other possibilities to consider. The plants, which have been grown under controlled conditions indoors, do need some time to adjust to the new outdoor environment. This will set them back at least for a few weeks or perhaps a month or so. In addition, even if they are not placed in full sunlight, factors like wind and humidity level of the air, will have an impact on your plants' growth.
The plant may actually need more water than were it grown indoors, because the wind also does pull moisture out of it. This would definitely be the case where I live (Chihuahua Desert).
However, I am not an expert in growing cacti from seed. I always purchase seedling plants and take it from there. I do have a few plants though, that managed to grow from seed, but without any help from me, except for throwing some water on the ground more or less once a week during spring and until the end of fall.

Harald
Thanks harald! It took them a couple of months now i can see the slightest progress. Hope i can get manageable seedlings before winter.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with Harald. They were a bit young to handle the move outside, the transition was a shock and checked their growth. That's also responsible for some of them going two-headed. Some of my Echinocereus viridiflorus seedlings did the same thing after I let them get dry a bit too young and stopped their growth - the original growth point failed to resume growing, and a couple of areoles became new growth points.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:I agree with Harald. They were a bit young to handle the move outside, the transition was a shock and checked their growth. That's also responsible for some of them going two-headed. Some of my Echinocereus viridiflorus seedlings did the same thing after I let them get dry a bit too young and stopped their growth - the original growth point failed to resume growing, and a couple of areoles became new growth points.
Im really glad that they are starting to grow now! And im very excited to see what the 2 headed plants are gonna look like! Do you have any pictures of yours?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Mine are no further along, they won't give you a glimpse into the future. I posted pictures fairly recently (taken on the 3rd), but I didn't take closeups of the freaky ones so it doesn't show up very well. Only a few went multi-headed, one started growing from 3 points but one of them has taken dominance. The one closest to the label is 2-headed, but it's hard to make out, the curved one at the bottom center is the 3-headed one - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38086&p=333301#p333301

Some of the E. pulchellus v. ameonus (first photo in that set) have a pinched-off spot where their growth was checked, but they all remain single-headed. The Oreocereus trolli (third photo) were not perturbed by anything, they're perfectly normal.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:Mine are no further along, they won't give you a glimpse into the future. I posted pictures fairly recently (taken on the 3rd), but I didn't take closeups of the freaky ones so it doesn't show up very well. Only a few went multi-headed, one started growing from 3 points but one of them has taken dominance. The one closest to the label is 2-headed, but it's hard to make out, the curved one at the bottom center is the 3-headed one - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38086&p=333301#p333301

Some of the E. pulchellus v. ameonus (first photo in that set) have a pinched-off spot where their growth was checked, but they all remain single-headed. The Oreocereus trolli (third photo) were not perturbed by anything, they're perfectly normal.
That's some nice progress! O. Trolli is one of my favorite cacti. I do hope the heads grow equally with no dominant head.
Thanks spence