Mystery spot

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
pcin140

Mystery spot

Post by pcin140 »

Hi All,

My Echinopsis (?) has developed a light green divot that appears to be growing (slowly) in size. The divot remains firm and is of similar texture to the rest of the plant. There is another, smaller divot, on the other side of the plant.

I have been watering regularly, maybe every 10 days or so, so I don't think that this is the issue.

Any insight is appreciated.
Mystery spot
Mystery spot
FullSizeRender.jpg (85.05 KiB) Viewed 581 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Mystery spot

Post by ElieEstephane »

Sounds normal to me. It's a melocactus though..
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
pcin140

Post by pcin140 »

Does this sort of discolouration happen normally? Does it revert? I have not seen this sort of thing before (aside from sunburn)
Andrew Farrell

Post by Andrew Farrell »

My pachycereus marginata was having something similar happen. It was getting dark green spots on its lighter green body. When it cools down a little bit the spots go away and I don't see them again until it's another very hot and sunny day. Could be similar to that? My plant is very healthy though so I wouldn't really worry.
pcin140

Post by pcin140 »

It could be and hopefully it is transient. This plant hasn't really given me issues before and has grown to a plump size. It has been incredibly warm the past couple of weeks after a really rainy spring so maybe the heat has been a factor.