can this cactus be saved, or is dead?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
pumablue

can this cactus be saved, or is dead?

Post by pumablue »

Hi,

I got given a cactus from a friend, who got it from her uncles collection - and it has a very dark / black base to it, which looks unhealthy.... and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if this is 1.) normal appearance 2.) not healthy, but saveable or 3.) too far gone / dead.

from research online, I'm worried it may have some root rot (or something) - as the base does not look that healthy (though it's firm to the touch, and not soft). my friend mentioned that it had been wintered outside over the past winter in a greenhouse - but by the looks of it, it feels like it may have been forgotten and overlooked for a winter - as the soil was bone dry, and it feels like it may have undergone some freezing and thawing, and have been in contact with moisture.

here's some pics, any tips / suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Salazar

Re: can this cactus be saved, or is dead?

Post by Salazar »

Feel the base of the plant, if it's soft it could be rotting, also smell it , if it is rotting it'll have a bad odor.
If it is rotting it can be saved, just cut the plant and make sure there's no rot, let it dry for a few weeks and plant in dry soil.
hegar

Re: can this cactus be saved, or is dead?

Post by hegar »

In order to find out what is wrong, you need to dig up your Echinocereus sp. (prob. rigidissimus ssp. rubispinus or E. pectinatus) and take a look at the root system.
If the roots are all gone, check, if the plants base (bottom) is firm or soft. If it is soft, go ahead and cut the cactus off at the point of the dark discoloration and take a look at the interior tissue. If you do spot some browning of the flesh inside, there is a rot present. You will then need to remove slice by slice the stem (body) of the plant, until you see only healthy plant tissue when examining the cut.
Make sure, that you do disinfect the cutting tool especially before making the final cut. Otherwise you will transfer the bacterium or fungus that caused the rot into the healthy part of the plant.
Without too much of a problem, you should also be able to separate the offset from the original stem. It may be still healthy and no cutting or just a minor cut would be required.

Harald