Corked seedlings

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
ElieEstephane

Corked seedlings

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello
I was repotting one of my store bought plants and i found under it several seedlings in the soil. They are all living and have good roots. I repotted them alone.
First why would this happen? And would they survive if they have barely (if any) chlorophyll?
Thank you
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Robb

Re: Corked seedlings

Post by Robb »

In my opinion they look like offsets that have detached and corked at the base. From the picture, this is more apparent in the bottom left hand plant, as it has roots sprouting from side and not the bottom. While I don't think it's impossible, it is certainly doesn't resemble anything I've seen in my seedlings. I think they'll probably survive; but I wouldn't expect growth to be very fast. Even if plants don't have chlorophyll, oftentimes they can manage to grow enough so that there is just enough new growth to allow it to survive.
Hope this helps!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
ElieEstephane

Re: Corked seedlings

Post by ElieEstephane »

Robb wrote:In my opinion they look like offsets that have detached and corked at the base. From the picture, this is more apparent in the bottom left hand plant, as it has roots sprouting from side and not the bottom. While I don't think it's impossible, it is certainly doesn't resemble anything I've seen in my seedlings. I think they'll probably survive; but I wouldn't expect growth to be very fast. Even if plants don't have chlorophyll, oftentimes they can manage to grow enough so that there is just enough new growth to allow it to survive.
Hope this helps!
It does help indeed. Thank you!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: