sick cowboy cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Sue

sick cowboy cactus

Post by Sue »

Hi, please can you help?
I have a cowboy cactus that I've had for over 10 years and he has been the picture of health. He is an indoor plant in London. Recently I have noticed a few changes and have searched the web, but don't feel confident about what the actual problem is and how to address it.
1) the base has brown ring marks, is this normal?
2)noticed today that one of the arms has turned brown and is slightly softer - soft carrot not squidgy tomato! Do I remove? Or can it be resolved
Thanks so much in advance.
Sue
Attachments
rsz_wp_20170807_12_02_28_pro.jpg
rsz_wp_20170807_12_02_28_pro.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Sue

Re: sick cowboy cactus

Post by Sue »

Hi, please can you help?
I have a cowboy cactus that I've had for over 10 years and he has been the picture of health. He is an indoor plant in London. Recently I have noticed a few changes and have searched the web, but don't feel confident about what the actual problem is and how to address it.
1) the base has brown ring marks, is this normal?
2)noticed today that one of the arms has turned brown and is slightly softer - soft carrot not squidgy tomato! Do I remove? Or can it be resolved
Thanks so much in advance.
Sue
Top[/quote]
Attachments
rsz_wp_20170807_12_03_07_pro.jpg
rsz_wp_20170807_12_03_07_pro.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's a Euphorbia, not a cactus, though care is similar. The brown patches near the base, if they're not soft, are not a problem. That branch looks like it's dying to me, I'd just remove it. That skinny growth it's been making indicates it needs more light.
Spence :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Sue,
I was just going to suggest, that you post the "Cowboy Cactus" images on the Succulent Growing Help site. I thought, and still think, that you will get more responses to the Euphorbia sp. problem there than here in the forum, which is accessed by cactus growers.
While I do not have any members of that plant family in my outdoor cactus collection, they do at least have one thing in common: they ate both succulents.
I just wanted to let you know, that I basically agree with greenknight. While I too believe, that the brown splotches near the base of the plant are most likely not of great importance, it would still be a good idea to keep an eye on them. If you realize, that they grow larger and especially, if they become more numerous, you most likely do have a fungal pathogen at work. There are many fungicides available, including systemic ones, if there is a fungus diagnosis.
About the softening, discolored arm I cannot tell, what caused the condition. However, I too would cut that arm off, right at the main stem.
If the top still is green, you can try to root that part. I am afraid, that will eventually die anyway. At least the water transport is already affected.
Again, like with the case of the brown splotches, if the discolored area spreads or shows up at a previously healthy part of your plant, an infective agent, be it a bacterium or a fungus is the cause and you will need to take immediate action by removing the infected part and applying an effective pesticide.

Harald
Sue

Post by Sue »

Thank you both so much, I will get straight on it.
Sue x