Weird colour?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Andreea1198

Weird colour?

Post by Andreea1198 »

Hello guys, I bought this cactus recently,
WhatsApp Image 2017-08-14 at 12.22.12.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-08-14 at 12.22.12.jpeg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 974 times
and I don't know if there's something wrong with its colour. I thought the colour should look like this, all pale green. Maybe the colour will get better as the cactus adjusts to this environment. Any thoughts?
il_fullxfull.379112227_8e0h.jpg
il_fullxfull.379112227_8e0h.jpg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 974 times
teo

Re: Weird colour?

Post by teo »

It's a Myrtillocactus geometrizans. Looks OK - notice that it has a thin bluish coat (bloom?) that will easily be rubbed off if touched by fingers
Andreea1198

Post by Andreea1198 »

teo wrote:It's a Myrtillocactus geometrizans. Looks OK - notice that it has a thin bluish coat (bloom?) that will easily be rubbed off if touched by fingers
Oh, I really liked that colour. I was hoping that the cactus would turn all that bluish. Thank you so much!
Nic

Post by Nic »

The new growth on Myrtillo geometrizans is usually that color, at least if it has enough light
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, needs some direct sun to bring out the blue color - it's the plant's natural sunscreen.
Spence :mrgreen:
Andreea1198

Post by Andreea1198 »

greenknight wrote:Yes, needs some direct sun to bring out the blue color - it's the plant's natural sunscreen.
Oh, that's good news! Thank you! :D
Andreea1198

Post by Andreea1198 »

Nic wrote:The new growth on Myrtillo geometrizans is usually that color, at least if it has enough light
Thank you!
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Myrtillocactus geometrizans produces a waxy excretion on its skin with new growth, resulting in a 'blueish' color (that I find very attractive) that is easily removed with the slightest touch. If you have touched the body at all, you will have removed some of that blueish color, resulting in a mottled look. Your M. geometrizans looks very healthy to me ... at least in my opinion. I have a clump of three that is MUCH taller (about 3 feet) and is considerably fatter at the top than it is at the bottom.
Andreea1198

Post by Andreea1198 »

WayneByerly wrote:Myrtillocactus geometrizans produces a waxy excretion on its skin with new growth, resulting in a 'blueish' color (that I find very attractive) that is easily removed with the slightest touch. If you have touched the body at all, you will have removed some of that blueish color, resulting in a mottled look. Your M. geometrizans looks very healthy to me ... at least in my opinion. I have a clump of three that is MUCH taller (about 3 feet) and is considerably fatter at the top than it is at the bottom.
Yeah, I just repotted it so I touched its body. I love the blueish colour too! Thank you for info and opinion! :D