Is my cactus still alright?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
kookierin

Is my cactus still alright?

Post by kookierin »

It has this "rot" and i have no idea if it's still alright or what.....and is it normal for it to branch out? What do i do with it? Sorry the pic in bad quality coz i cant upload a better pic due to size limit.
Attachments
IMG_20170814_204624.jpg
IMG_20170814_204624.jpg (183.12 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Nic

Re: Is my cactus still alright?

Post by Nic »

I can't tell from the picture! But if the cactus is soft, then it is most likely rot, if so, take of the offsets at the joint with a sterile knife(sterilize between every cut). And treat them as cuttings, then try to remove the discolored tissue from the main head. And your plant does look like a clumping species.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Did something take a bite out of it?
Spence :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

It does look to me like a healed cut or crack. Most likely, the tissue at the discolored area is just as firm as the rest of the plant. This kind of injury can even be produced, if the plant was watered too heavily. The cactus will take in all the water, until it literally bursts.
What greenknight suspects could also be true. A large insect, snail or slug, rodent, or even a bird could have taken a bite out of your plant.

Harald
kookierin

Post by kookierin »

Here's a better pic...i don't really know if something took a bite out of it but i did once place it outside and then it became like this
Attachments
IMG_20170815_193324_961.JPG
IMG_20170815_193324_961.JPG (117.82 KiB) Viewed 761 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks like slug or snail damage. Unless rot sets in it should be fine - and it appears to have healed already, not much danger at this point.
Spence :mrgreen: