Epiphyllum problem?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
hwmpg

Epiphyllum problem?

Post by hwmpg »

Not even sure this is a problem? Inherited this plant when we bought a house last November. Plant stayed in a greenhouse until April, then moved to inside the house since it had about 25 flowers. Stems at that time were solid green. After moving it outside for the summer, I noticed the mottling on all the stems. Is this a nascent tragedy, is the end near, or is this 'normal'?

https://imgur.com/a/SiKdJ

Thanks for any clues

herb
toadstar

Re: Epiphyllum problem?

Post by toadstar »

Was it in direct sunlight? Could be some light sunburn.
hwmpg

Post by hwmpg »

It got a couple few hours of direct morning sun, nothing more. The mottling is all over each branch fairly equally, not a pattern you'd expect for sunburn.
hegar

Post by hegar »

I would not worry too much about your plant. As far as I can tell, there is no pathogen responsible for the mottling, except perhaps a virus.
If this were the case, your Epiphyllum would not be in danger of dying.
More likely than a virus is in my opinion perhaps a lack of nutrients. This kind of plant grows faster than the average cactus. Also, as you indicated, it did flower. This processes use up nutrients. Because your plant is a "jungle cactus", it most likely can be fertilized with a full-strength complete fertilizer. Flowering and fruiting uses up mainly the macronutrient phosphorus. The other two - nitrogen and potassium - will also cause the cactus color to become darker green. So, unless you have already done so, go ahead and fertilize your plant.
The best time to do so would probably be in early spring, when the plant naturally starts to grow vigorously.

Harald
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed - try fertilizing it when growth resumes.
Spence :mrgreen:
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

Some of my Epis have that, and some do not. It doesn't seem to impact the plant much. I don't worry about it. And, I agree with the above quoted care instructions.