Very unwell Euphorbia!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
julesg007

Very unwell Euphorbia!

Post by julesg007 »

Edited title after receiving correct information about the plant, therefore where my text reads "cactus" please read "euphorbia"!

Hi,

Unfortunately just my 2nd post on the forum and I need some help with a very poorly cactus.

I got the cactus from a local garden centre and immediately repotted it into a larger pot of the same design, a shallowish terracotta bowl. All seemed well and the plant started to existing growth started to get larger and it even began putting out new growth.

It though has seen a rather sudden and unexplained bout of rot to part of the plant with the stems becoming mushy. Half the plant seems OK.

Could I get some pointers on how to save the existing plant and can there be anything done with the non rotted parts of the stems that have been effected? Also can anyone identify the plant as unfortunately the label on the plant just said "cactus in bowl" so I dont know what it is.

Many thanks

Jules

Last edited by julesg007 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aiko

Re: Very unwell cactus!

Post by Aiko »

It's not a cactus. It is an Euphorbia.

Cut away all the rotted parts of the plants, to avoid things spreading to the healthier stems. Be aware this plants bleeds a white sap. It is in some degree poisonous. Wash your hands afterwards if the sap gets on your hands. Don't get the sap in your eyes or mouth by rubbing it in from dirty hands.
julesg007

Re: Very unwell cactus!

Post by julesg007 »

Thanks Aiko for the reply, the advice and identification and I can confirm it does have a thick sticky white sap.

Are you able to give me some indication as to what might have caused the issue? the plant has been living under a citrus tree and some of the fruits have fallen, could one have hit the plants and damaged the stem? I know it's been quite windy recently, so perhaps that might have contributed.

Is it possible to save what's left of the stems with the rot in, i.e. can I cut it out and let it callous over and replant the stem? Would you recommned completely repotting or just removing the rotted sections?

I am new these types of plants so beginning to learn about them but it seems I still have a lot of learning to do because to me it looks like a cactus but it clearly isn't, I think its a Eurphorbia Horrida from looking at other plant pictures.

Jules
julesg007

Re: Very unwell Euphorbia!

Post by julesg007 »

A quick update with some additional pictures.

I've now removed the bad parts of the plant that had developed rot and it now looks much better.

However, as a total novice to this type of plant I would like to add some additional comments.

Some of the stems of the plant are brown at the bottom but they still look OK as they are standing upright. Is it normal for this type of plant to develop brown colouring at the base of the stem as it grows?

Are there any pointers to what may have caused the plant to develop rot in the stems?

I did though manage to salvage the top part of one of the stems and have cut out the rot. Is it possible to re-plant it and if so what would the correct methodology be please?

Thanks for the help

Jules
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

We can't see your pictures. You may need to find another image host.
"Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting"
julesg007

Post by julesg007 »

Sorry pictures were there when I initially made the post!

Seems that Photobucket have caught up with my account but being honest I wasn't aware that Photobucket had now started charging $400 a year to share photo's on 3rd party websites.

Just wish you could change resolution on an iPhone or iPad and we wouldn't have this issue, I suppose I need to find another provider!!

Once sorted I'll re-upload the all the pictures.

Jules
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

https://imgur.com/ is an option.