Those nasty mealybugs!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Serrie

Those nasty mealybugs!

Post by Serrie »

Hi all,

Been having a problem with mealybugs for some time now and the SB invigorator doesn't seem to do the job controlling it anymore.

Can you guys give some recommendations as to what systemic insecticides are most effective and preferably also easy to get in the UK?

My plants are not in a greenhouse, so are not getting much water at this time of the year anymore. How can I best treat them, would a soak be a good idea? I have noticed quite a few just at the edge of the base of the plants too, so its a bit harder to reach just spraying them.

All tips are welcome!

Thanks!
brixtertabun

Re: Those nasty mealybugs!

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

brixtertabun wrote:You can try the hot water bath method, refer to this link (http://ucnfanews.ucanr.edu/Articles/Reg ... rol_Pests/). Systemic insecticides are unavailable in my country. I don't see any root mealybugs on my cacti anymore and my cacti are not damaged. Just make sure to do it to all your plants to kill them completely. I also stopped watering for 2 to 3 weeks to give them time to heal first. We don't have winter in my country so I can do it anytime. You may need to wait until it is okay to water your cacti before trying this.
That's very interesting and useful, Brixtertabun, thanks for sharing.
So, how do you do this? Do you immerse only the plant in hot water, or do you immerse the whole pot with the plant and everything ? Thanks again.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

mmcavall wrote:
brixtertabun wrote:You can try the hot water bath method, refer to this link (http://ucnfanews.ucanr.edu/Articles/Reg ... rol_Pests/). Systemic insecticides are unavailable in my country. I don't see any root mealybugs on my cacti anymore and my cacti are not damaged. Just make sure to do it to all your plants to kill them completely. I also stopped watering for 2 to 3 weeks to give them time to heal first. We don't have winter in my country so I can do it anytime. You may need to wait until it is okay to water your cacti before trying this.
So, how do you do this? Do you immerse only the plant in hot water, or do you immerse the whole pot with the plant and everything ? Thanks again.
When i had a root mealybugs problem, i removed and threw away all infected soil, cleaned the roots well and immersed them in 45 degrees water for 2 minutes. The plant is now healthy and thriving so the roots are okay. But im not sure if plants can take 45-50 baths without being damaged
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

brixtertabun wrote:
mmcavall wrote:
I submerge the whole thing: the cacti, the soil, the pot, the pot feet, everything. I also poured hot water on the floor where I place my pots in case any root mealybugs linger there. I heat up water to 120 F and pour it in a large bucket and submerge my cactus for 20 minutes. You need something to keep it from floating so I used kitchen tongs. After I'm done, the water would be around 115 F. Then I didn't water for 2 to 3 weeks.

I dislike unpotting and do it only when necessary. My cacti look healthy, so they handled the temperature well. Even the offsets of my cacti are unharmed and growing.
ok! Thanks again! I'll try that in some plants!
Serrie

Post by Serrie »

Thanks for the replies, Im going to give it a try!
Is this ok for the normal succulents too?
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Serrie wrote:Thanks for the replies, Im going to give it a try!
Is this ok for the normal succulents too?
Research the habitat and what kind of heat ot gets. I don't think some european and mediterranean succulents will take this temperature. Examples are sempervivum, jovibarba, rosularia, some sedums...
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Serrie wrote:Can you guys give some recommendations as to what systemic insecticides are most effective and preferably also easy to get in the UK?
What I have used, that was just extravagantly effective, was Bayer Advanced 701285 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control Concentrate. The URL I found it at is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V ... UTF8&psc=1

I have looked for it on the amazon.co.uk site and did NOT find it. I don't know if you can order from amazon.com, here in the U.S., but I cannot recommend the Bayer 3-in-1 more strenuously.

I had a cactus that had a mealy bug infestation that was SO bad that you could see the surface seethe without the use of a magnifying glass. It was BAD!!! The spines on that cactus were so dense that I didn't notice them until the cactus started leaning to the one side. I gave them a good dose of the Bayer 3-in-1, and it took care of them all. I applied it as a systemic afterward, but a topical dose took care of the ones that were crawling over each other on the surface. Once I noticed them there ... I was SO grossed that I was reluctant to even touch the pot

I hope you can order from amazon.com ... this stuff really does work good.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Serrie wrote:Can you guys give some recommendations as to what systemic insecticides are most effective and preferably also easy to get in the UK?
There's also some stuff called "Bonide Products 941 System Insect Control" that bills itself as systemic insect control whose active ingredient is acephate. Again, I cannot find it at amazon.co.uk

What I DID find at amazon.co.uk was some stuff called "Provado 1 Litre Ultimate Bug Killer". I've NO idea how effective it might be on mealybugs, but if youi are interested, search amazon.co.uk for its ASIN: B01B5UZO4K

I don't know if either of these two messages helps, but I hope it does. I know how I feel about my cacti and would do most anything to keep them from being pest ridden.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
brixtertabun

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

In the name of science, cactus and succulent collection and the notion to actually save this plant , ive tried out the hot water method(no correct temp, but it was pretty hot(50-55 ish). Plant had meally bugs , and i was attached to it. Also sprayed it with powder i use to deal with such pests, with 60% efficiency. Though you cannot tell, its topmost leaves and rosette looked healthy enough. Will update you on progress.
Attachments
DSC_0131.JPG
DSC_0131.JPG (84.89 KiB) Viewed 756 times