I could just weep ...

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

I could just weep ...

Post by WayneByerly »

When I first bought this it was SO dessicated that I had severe doubts whether or not it would survive. But it did and the last I looked close at it, five days ago, it was still thriving. I looked at it when I walked by it a minute ago and thought "where did it go?" ... it looked SO different.

I have NO hope that anything that anybody has to say to me will help recover this cactus, which was probably my #1 favorite cactus of all 92 containers, but just in case, i'll include a picture below. No evidence of bugs or disease ... just from one day to the next it dried up with a SOLID, HARD texture, where it had been rather soft.

Any ideas anybody?
Sulco.jpg
Sulco.jpg (86.47 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Re: I could just weep ...

Post by stefan m. »

Root rot. Is so sudden, it hapens while you blink. check out my collection http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39817 (most recent photos 104 and 105) youl see a plant that I lost(missing in second picture , and last time i checked, it was fine.
Nothing can be done. Weve all been through this.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

It was doing fine, although it was a little tall, and I questioned that on this forum, asking if I should perhaps bury in a little deeper. I don't remember who suggested this but he said "no, add rocks up to the rim of the pot" . So I did. I think that caused the pot to retain more moisture than I wanted it to. I had good intentions, but I guess it just didn't work out very well. I could just weep.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

For some plants, it does happen overnight.
But dont be discouraged- plants grown from seed tend to be more durable than their wholesale counterparts.
Luckily you live in the usa, and have lots of seedstores.
In addition, this is a common plant(look up sulcorebutia ), so youll have not trouble fining it.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

This S. rauschii is the one I bought to replace the one I killed with too much water. This was my number 1 favorite cactus. I just cannot believe how frustrated I am.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Their roots are very sensitive. Anything can tick them off
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:Root rot. Is so sudden, it hapens while you blink. check out my collection http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39817 (most recent photos 104 and 105) youl see a plant that I lost(missing in second picture , and last time i checked, it was fine.
Nothing can be done. Weve all been through this.
Do you think it will claim the offsets also?
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote: check out my collection
VERY nice... Quite a number of very beautiful plants... Thanks for sharing.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

You have to be very lucky with the offsets. Suggest checking out immediately(remove them from soil gently).
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

Stefan is right on both counts. Root rot. And take out the others. Also, I'd separate them into different pots with new soil.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

I've taken them out of the soil and laid them on a paper towel in a bright but shaded place. There are some Roots left and the offsets still appeared to be at least partially healthy. If anyone is remotely interested, I'll update this posting with pictures if they survive.