Sick N. Tetetzo/ Polylopha?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
delaguer

Sick N. Tetetzo/ Polylopha?

Post by delaguer »

Hi all,

First post here! glad to finally join the forum and hope can learn much more about cacti; very excited!

Anyway, been trying to grow several cacti since the past year with little success unfortunately... :mrgreen:

Here is one I have, I assumed it's neobuxbaumia tetetzo? or n. polylopha? probably around 1.5 years old... growing slowly... started its first year in an apartment, inside a plastic glass and never got direct sunlight.

Once I moved to a new house, I re-potted and put it under a tree so that it doesn't get too much heat from the sun, but then the rainy season kicked in last month so I moved it to elsewhere but this time under a roof.

However, since last month I noticed this red spot on some part of it and wondering if my cacti is sick? anyone here has the same experience as I do?
Sorry if the picture is not too clear.

Please advise and thank you! :)

-dLg
Attachments
unnamed cacti1.jpg
unnamed cacti1.jpg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 505 times
stefan m.

Re: Sick N. Tetetzo/ Polylopha?

Post by stefan m. »

Problems with this plant:
Severe etiolation
Dessication
Soilborne nutrient issues
Minor root rot due to rain.
delaguer

Post by delaguer »

stefan m. wrote:Problems with this plant:
Severe etiolation
Dessication
Soilborne nutrient issues
Minor root rot due to rain.
Thanks stefan!

I have since put it in direct sunlight and yes, it is better now. At least now it can directly stand on its own, and not rely on that small rock anymore.

It still has the red spot though... will see how it progresses.

This is from this morning's

Cheers!
-dLg
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-12-14 at 3.12.34 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-12-14 at 3.12.34 PM.jpeg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 428 times
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Seems to be improving. But would still be careful with it. Pachycereae members are tender when young. The more they age the tougher they become. The red spot will probably be gone once it begins to cork.
delaguer

Post by delaguer »

Update:

This is as of yesterday, 24 Feb 2018. It's growing and keeping the red spot.

still not going up straight, hence the white rock support system.
Attachments
polylopha-feb24.jpg
polylopha-feb24.jpg (113.94 KiB) Viewed 300 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Good progress!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

Congratulations! Your cactus does indeed look good. :)
Based on the first digital image, I would have feared the worst. The base of the plant looked a bit "watersoaked", which could be an indication of a major bane encountered by cactus growers, the root rot. That conditions usually worsens rapidly and the plant cannot be saved. It also leads to the plant losing turgor pressure and the cactus will start to lean or fall over.
Well, the growing conditions obviously were remedied and your plant did fully recover.
This goes to show me, that at times the digital image posted may suggest something worse than what the actual condition of the plant is.
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it does not show everything. That's why it is important to know about the history of the plant and have the grower supply as much information as possible about the problem cactus.

Harald