Green fuzzy fungus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Cacidy

Green fuzzy fungus

Post by Cacidy »

I've recently noticed some green fuzzy looking fungus on several of my plants, on some tephros, epithelantha, and copiapoa. I am worried about it spreading, it seemed to show up quickly, within the last two weeks. It has started raining here and I noticed this fungus or whatever it is since the rains started. How should I get rid of it? Does anybody know what this is? Thanks for the help everyone!
Attachments
20171124_140112.jpg
20171124_140112.jpg (79.53 KiB) Viewed 328 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Green fuzzy fungus

Post by ElieEstephane »

They need to be in a ventilated area with low humidity. As soon as that happens the fungus will die off
You can use a fungicide spray too such as a baking soda solution
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Re: Green fuzzy fungus

Post by hegar »

This could be what is commonly known as a "fly speck fungus". If so, it would most likely not be a serious pathogen. You can tell, by using a fine instrument like a dissecting needle or other tool and carefully push it against the spot. A fly speck fungus will dislodge easily (flake off), because it does have a flattened structure.
On plants that have been exposed to the environment, there are sometimes also blackish spots, which are indeed caused by small insects, including flies. Most of the time, these do look shiny, while those produced by the fungus are dull-colored.

Harald