Sick Trichocereus species; scale?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
saboten

Sick Trichocereus species; scale?

Post by saboten »

Hello all,

This is my first post here--I've been keeping cacti for about 2 years now, but I'm far from an expert. The first plant I got (I call him Morris) seems to be getting sicker and sicker. He used to be a healthy green but began to show these scaly markings--and they are moving top to bottom. In some places, he's a little soft (as you can see from the hole accidentally poked in). I've taken him out of his pot but I really am not sure what to do.

I feel really bad because I moved and left him in my dad's care, not knowing. I hope he is not a goner :( If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

ElieEstephane

Re: Sick Trichocereus species; scale?

Post by ElieEstephane »

saboten wrote:Hello all,

This is my first post here--I've been keeping cacti for about 2 years now, but I'm far from an expert. The first plant I got (I call him Morris) seems to be getting sicker and sicker. He used to be a healthy green but began to show these scaly markings--and they are moving top to bottom. In some places, he's a little soft (as you can see from the hole accidentally poked in). I've taken him out of his pot but I really am not sure what to do.

I feel really bad because I moved and left him in my dad's care, not knowing. I hope he is not a goner :( If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

He's definitely not a goner! First off, it's etiolating. Other than being a aesthetic problem, a weak cactus that is not getting enough sunlight is prone to bug attacks. The roots could be unhealthy thus the softness could be due to thirst. Soak the roots in a systemic insecticide solution and spray the body with insecticide. Let the root ball dry out completely and knock off the old soil and discard it. Snip off dead and unhealthy roots and spray the remainder with 10% hydrogen peroxide to reduce risk of infection. Let the cactus heal of 3-4 days in a dark locaction and replant it. I suggest using a mineral mix. If it's your growing season now, withhold water for 10 days and resume you warering schedule. If not, leave it be until spring.
2 more comments:
1. If it's not growing, it might not take up the systemoc insecticide.
2. You can consider chopping the etiolated top when your cactus is in a sunnier locaction and it will branch with healthier thick stems. You can root the chopped off part too.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

I do not like the brown top of your plant. It could be the result of perhaps an injury (sun scald, pesticide, etc.) or it also may be a rot organism.
I did lose a nice Echinocereus sp. plant, that also started to brown at the top, with the microorganism moving downward toward the base. I did cut off the discolored part, but the rot had already done too much damage and the plant dried up.
I would suggest, that you cut the etiolated tip off and take a good look at the plant tissue. As elieestephane already indicated, if there is no discoloration, you could always try to root the tip of your cactus. I just wanted to let you know, that both bacteria and fungi will destroy a plant, if they are detected too late or no action is taken.

Harald
saboten

Post by saboten »

Thank you both, I'm going to get to work on Morris and try saving him. Elieestaphane, thanks for the detailed advice. Harald, I think I'll have to cut the tip to see, although I always hate to have to cut into a plant; I think that's my problem though: I wait too long to cut and then it's too late :( We'll put up the good fight though, and see what happens!

Edit: I cut the tip and it seems very green and normal inside
mruiz

Post by mruiz »

pictures of you cutting the tip please?
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

It looks like red spider mite damage to me.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti