This falls under etc.-Root hormone

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
stefan m.

This falls under etc.-Root hormone

Post by stefan m. »

So , here in macedonia there is a severe lack of root powder(they only have some kind of growth hormone, but not sure what it is)
Ordering online would be very expensive(to the point where it would be cheaper to buy new plants)
So my question is, how do i improvise(if i can) rooting powder, and what do you think is the most reliable way to use it.
teo

Re: This falls under etc.-Root hormone

Post by teo »

I think you can make it from salix twigs/bark (I've just read that - have not tried it)
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Yeah i should try that(actually have a large willow right next to my appartment building)
But i kinda dont know how to actually use it.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yeah i was gonna suggest willow tea but i dont know how u would apply that to a callused cactus
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Shane

Post by Shane »

The general idea is to finely chop a bunch of young willow twigs, then steep or boil them, or just let them sit in water for a few days. Then dip the cut ends of your cacti in the stuff

I was never able to get really obvious results with willow water. My advice would to chop the twigs as fine as you can and boil rather than steep or soak. Maybe someone with more experience can suggest how long to boil for
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Pricky

Post by Pricky »

I usually spread cinnamon powder on the cut to help callousing and prevent fungal diseases.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Ive recently used cinnamon too for callouses, but cinnamon is no rooting powder. Wonder if the willow tea thing would help germinate that pandanus thing.
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Hello there! How about trying some crushed aspirin, since salicylic acid is what the above mentioned plant contains to promote root growth? I haven't tried it though, but I clearly remember florists used to dissolve aspirin in water for cut flowers. I am not sure it would work, I may try this myself with cuttings.
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb