Opuntia sick or not?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Pompom

Opuntia sick or not?

Post by Pompom »

I got this opuntia monacantha variegata, maybe a monstrous form, from my sister a while ago (she named it Boris). She didn't have proper light for it, so it got little etiolated but that's not what I'm worried about. It has this weird growth on two of its pads, and I can't tell what it is. It can't be removed, and feels dry to touch.

Other thing I was wondering about is how soft/hard the pads should be? Pads on Boris are little soft, they bend little if touched, but still feel firm. I checked the roots, they are fine. Does it need more water? Do opuntias need more water than other succulents in general? I have to grow all my plants inside over winter, 'cause it's way too cold outside. I have a growing lamp, and it stopped the etiolation.
Attachments
Should I worry about the spot?
Should I worry about the spot?
20171211_221812.jpg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 546 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Opuntia sick or not?

Post by ElieEstephane »

Opuntia pads are a little flexible in general and some species can break in the rain or strong wind. Opuntias are generally a little more water tolerant than other cacti but a general rule is to water when the soil dries completely. During the winter, you can store your cacti in a unheated room (5-10 degrees depending on species) which will promote flowering and better health.
I would worry about that spot only if it spreads.
Good luck!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Looks like something tried to eat it. or sunburn.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

elieestephanie, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have no cooler place in this apartment, so I have to keep my plants in room temp. (around 21celcius). Ill try to trick the plants in spring, when the outside temperature gets above freezing. I give them the "winter" then.
I'll keep an eye on the spot! If it spreads, should I remove the pads, just for sure?

stefan m. My sister has a cat, but I don't think she is the culprit. Of course I can't be sure :D Lets hope the spot is only a sunburn, and doesn't spread to other plants.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

It would be too drastic to remove the pad! Just cut out the afflicted area with a sterile knife.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

elieestephane wrote:It would be too drastic to remove the pad! Just cut out the afflicted area with a sterile knife.
That seems a bit drastic. As long as that patch isn't getting bigger, I'd just leave it alone.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Cacti are chewed on by cats. Somebody actually posted about that.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Toadstar that was only suggested if the spot is spreading. Please note that i suggested to leave it alone if it doesnt spread.