So is this the oedema/edema?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Pompom

So is this the oedema/edema?

Post by Pompom »

I recently got this echeveria and it was in bad shape. Too wet soil, wrong soil, lower leaves rotten and molded. I changed its soil, did let the roots dry out between changing, ripped all the bad leaves off. I now noticed it has some tiny black/brown dots on a new growth. The new growth is also gnarled. I took two pictures showing the damage which I suppose happened because of bad care in the store. Blue arrows point out weird bubbles things, red arrows the black spots. Older growth looks fine, couple of tiny bubbles here and there. I read the plant should survive, and the damage should be only a cosmetic problem. I just want to make sure my diagnosis is right :D
On the picture bump1.jpg, the bubble pointed by upper blue arrow looks kinda ridiculous in real life. It looks like it would burst at any time.
bump1.jpg
bump1.jpg (27.24 KiB) Viewed 714 times
bump2.jpg
bump2.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 714 times
ElieEstephane

Re: So is this the oedema/edema?

Post by ElieEstephane »

Since no one chimed in yet, i'm gonna say it looks okay pompom. You took care of it very well and it should pull through. I think the bumpiness on the leaves is kind of nice.
I always find it annoying to repot eceheverias with all their fibrous roots so i just let them etiolate and chop the top off :lol:
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 pm Since no one chimed in yet, i'm gonna say it looks okay pompom. You took care of it very well and it should pull through. I think the bumpiness on the leaves is kind of nice.
I always find it annoying to repot eceheverias with all their fibrous roots so i just let them etiolate and chop the top off :lol:
I think it will be okay too, but was wondering if this is edema. It's not really a desease, but definitely looks like it. It is kinda cool some plants have this kind of survival behavior if they get too much water. The leaves look interesting to me, and i'm waiting them to get larger to see what they will become.
Talking about potting echeverias, it's annoying. Without roots it would be easy, you just stick the plant in, but with roots... well... tricky :D
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

This is the only time i bothered wirh repotting echeverias. It took forever and there were so much peat still left.
Unfortunately the green one turned to mush in a cold spell (~8 degrees) which was very weird and the other is the pulidonis you know.
Btw, there is an echeveria called tear drop or rain drop or something similar that has similar markings on the leaves but much larger. Plants are very weirs that way
Attachments
cc_800x1000.jpg
cc_800x1000.jpg (110.96 KiB) Viewed 668 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: