My Stetsonia coryne is turning yellow.

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

My Stetsonia coryne is turning yellow.

Post by WayneByerly »

I have a Stetsonia coryne that looked rather normal (if somewhat dry) in November of last year.
2017-11-11 Stetsonia.jpg
2017-11-11 Stetsonia.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
Six weeks later, it looked rather decidedly yellow.
2017-12-28 DSCF3200.jpg
2017-12-28 DSCF3200.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
Could it going dry over the winter have done this to it? If not, can anyone suggest what might?

I've brought it in out of the cold, watered it and fertilized with a very light cactus fertilizer. I've done that before this year with rather spectacular results. (see the "in from the cold" posting about my Pachypodium lealii) in Member Topics IF you are interested.
Attachments
2017-11-11 Stetsonia.jpg
2017-11-11 Stetsonia.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
2017-12-28 DSCF3200.jpg
2017-12-28 DSCF3200.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: My Stetsonia coryne is turning yellow.

Post by WayneByerly »

I'VE TRIED THREE TIMES TO EDIT THIS POST SO THAT THE SYSTEM WOULD NOT TURN THE PICTURE SIDEWAYS LIKE THE FIRST PICTURE IS. THE LAST TWO TIMES IT DUPLICATED THE PICTURE ONE MORE TIME. NOW THERE ARE TWO COPIES OF EACH OF THE TWO PICTURES I POSTED.

MY APOLOGIES ... I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT THIS!!!
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Wayne if the picture is in portrait mode (ie height>width) the system will automatically rotate it.
As for duplicates, when you place the image inline, the attachment should not be shown. Maybe that's a glitch
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

WayneByerly wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:19 am I have a Stetsonia coryne that looked rather normal (if somewhat dry) in November of last year.

Six weeks later, it looked rather decidedly yellow.

Could it going dry over the winter have done this to it? If not, can anyone suggest what might?
Most healthy cacti should be able to cope with literally months of zero water, especially during the winter. I think it's unhappy for some other reason.
How cold has it been?
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

esp_imaging wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 pmHow cold has it been?
With the thermostatically controlled heater that I have in the greenhouse, the temperature stays between 40F and 45F. Except for one brief incident when I discovered that the heater that I have in the greenhouse was incapable of keeping the temperatures as high as 40F to 45F once ambient temperatures had dropped to 20F and below. On that one occasion it got down to 29F degrees. Probably for less than 4 hours. Certainly less than six.

I have a tendency to check the temperature several times a day just to make sure nothing's gone wrong. It would truly, truly hurt my feelings if 45 or so pots of plants were to die because they got too cold.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I don't have experience of it, but Stetsonia doesn't have a great reputation for cold tolerance in the UK. Plants may have a greater occasional cold tolerence if they are regularly subjected to winter warmth and sun, so not generally applicable here.

Desert Tropicals recommends a "minimum average" of 10deg C (50F) http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... oryne.html, even though it gives an absolute minimum of -8°C (18°F)

The yellow, generally ill appearance reminds me of my Neoraimondia herzegovina which didn't survive a couple of winters ago. It never got especially cold, but I think it was consistently colder than it would have liked, and never got very warm over several months. In hindsight, I bought it because of what now seem to be very optimstic hardiness data on Dave's Garden. I think coping with humid, glooomy and consistently cold winters often needs more cold hardiness and resistence than a nominal minimum temperature tolerance.

Having said this, I don't thing that your temps should be challenging to a very wide range of plants, so I wouldn't be too worried about mass casualties.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Night temperatures are dipping here to 8 degrees C at night (with the occasional 7) and all my cact are outside. Stetsonia coryne is doing quite well and grew centrals where it didn't have. I had a a Neoraimondia out of 7 die. And an espostoa seedling. However, the problem with my weather is sometimes it refuses to get cold and sometimes we get the occasionnal quick frost that our friends in Europe send over.
This is the weather now so i don't exactly have cold dormancy:
Screenshot_20180130-175435.png
Screenshot_20180130-175435.png (92.35 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

How long have you had your Stetsonia Coryne Wayne? I got my first last year in late October from Arizona, and by the beginning of November it was showing signs of frost damage, although it was only getting down to the middle 40s at night here. I moved it to a more sheltered area and it hasn't changed any just yet. I picked up another one about a month ago from a local nursery and it's been outside getting to the low 30s at night and hasn't shown any damage yet. Maybe individual plants can get acclimated to colder temperatures if given enough time. I don't know about you but I'm ready for spring to get here already!
Attachments
Stesonia C.jpg
Stesonia C.jpg (169.59 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Harrison wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 amHow long have you had your Stetsonia Coryne Wayne?
Somewhere along the way in my Cactus growing/collecting career I started taking pictures of them on a regular basis so I would know what how they were doing from year to year. What kind of growth they or putting on. But I did not always do this. I started it some couple of years after I started my collection. My very first picture of the Stetsonia coryne was taken in May of 2014. So it is at a minimum, just slightly less than 4 years old. It could be as much as a year or year-and-a-half to two years older. And i have no idea at all how long the grower had it.

Harrison wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am... by the beginning of November it was showing signs of frost damage...

What kinds of signs? Was it turning yellow like mine has done?

Harrison wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am... although it was only getting down to the middle 40s at night here...
I have a thermostatically controlled space heater in my Greenhouse (which is only 4 or 5 ft wide by 10 ft long) , that comes on when the temperature goes as low as 40 degrees and turns itself back off when the temperature goes as high as 45. I did have one brief session, to my best knowledge, only a couple of hours long, where the heater could not keep the temperature as high as 40 when the ambient temperature reached below 20.

Harrison wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am...
Maybe individual plants can get acclimated to colder temperatures if given enough time ...
I would not be even remotely surprised if that were not the case. In fact I consider it the greatest likelihood.

When you read this, please be so kind as to reply and let me know what kind of damage your Stetsonia coryne suffered because of the cold, and did it survive? And did it survive unharmed or with damage?

My First Response, when any of my succulents look like they might be suffering because of the cold is to bring them inside and that is what I did with the stetsonia. I watered and fertilized it and it's already starting to look a little greener than it was. At least I think so.

I use voice-to-text-transcription to do all of my text entry, as I can speak much faster than I can type. But this system has the unfortunate propensity to doing rather strange capitalization at times. And I find it hard enough just to correct my English usage errors, so that I really don't feel up to going back and fixing the capitalization problems. Please excuse that if you will please.
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

I think that the bluish purple dark area about where the "7" is on the tape measure in my photo is frost damage on my plant. Well, if you've had it 4 years then it is odd it would just turn yellow like that. I hope the mystery can be unraveled...
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

Oh and yes it is still alive but I believe is still dormant, I'm sure the scar will be there for life but as it (hopefully) gets taller it will be less noticeable at the lower end.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Harrison wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 pm... but as it (hopefully) gets taller it will be less noticeable at the lower end...
With any luck it will start new growth somewhere just below the damage was done to it. So maybe you are fortunate in that respect. Keep in mind though that I think that that is a maybe.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm... Night temperatures are dipping here to 8 degrees C at night (with the occasional 7) and all my cact are outside...
What's your latitude Elie? It's 35deg 44 min here.
ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm... and sometimes we get the occasionnal quick frost that our friends in Europe send over...
Ha, ha, ha... with friends like that, who needs...
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I'm 34.4346° N, 35.8362° E on the coast of the mediterannean
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Hi, Wayne,
You are not alone! My Stetsonia is getting yellow, too. It was doing pretty fine until I decide to change the potting mix. I’ve changed from sandy soil to pure grit. It stops growing. I’ve changed again to top soil + grit, but the plant did not respond. It is summer here, but the plant is just like it was in winter, no growth and only getting yellow. I’m planning to check the roots.
The same is happening to the Melocactus: absolute no growth this season, and turning yellow.