Sick/rotting cactus?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Biscuitmeniscus

Sick/rotting cactus?

Post by Biscuitmeniscus »

I need some advice on one of my cacti. Of course I am unsure what type of cactus it is. I am very new to growing. I inherited a tall, about 2 foot, columnar cactus about two years ago. A few weeks ago I noticed two pieces getting top heavy. They fell over and I took some cuttings from them. The bottom of the original cactus has brown crusty lines running vertically. Does this indicate disease or rot? I tried to post a picture but I am having a hard time getting it to load. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: got a photo to attach!
Attachments
07F986D3-B346-44FC-8CA6-B8FE9EFC6A55.jpeg
07F986D3-B346-44FC-8CA6-B8FE9EFC6A55.jpeg (157.74 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Harrison

Re: Sick/rotting cactus?

Post by Harrison »

Looks like a San Pedro to me, though I'm also no expert. It looks like a bunch of old scars on your plant, doesn't look like rot to me. How did it look inside when you took your cuttings? I have some that look similar to yours, it seems the older they are the more scars they carry! They might scar from the cold or from physical damage they've sustained. If that is a San Pedro I think you'll like the flowers it puts out when it gets bigger.
Biscuitmeniscus

Post by Biscuitmeniscus »

Oh wonderful! Thank you for the info/advice. The cuttings seemed healthy on the inside but I’m really not sure.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Not rot indeed. Rot is black, soft, mushy and bad smelling. You ever seen a rotting fruit, apple/banana or a rotting mushroom? They are just disgusting, you'd propably just know if there is rot going on. Your plant should be just fine, scarring is normal thing and forms to any kind of damage plant gets.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed - old scars, long since healed over.
Spence :mrgreen: