Echinocereus pectinatus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
RichR

Echinocereus pectinatus

Post by RichR »

This is a two-year-old plant. In just the past few days it has developed this discoloration near the base. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?
E.pectinatus.jpg
E.pectinatus.jpg (72.61 KiB) Viewed 445 times
ElieEstephane

Re: Echinocereus pectinatus

Post by ElieEstephane »

It would help to give more details: what is watered? Is the base soft? Is it wobbly? What temperatures is it subjected too?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

This plant looks too elongated, maybe grown not at optimal conditions. It is too young to have corking of the stem. Could be infestation from mites -- sometimes they attack the base section of stems. Try to inspect the spot under higher magnification. I can see some light dots higher between ribs but can not be sure from that photo.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
RichR

Post by RichR »

It was watered last week, but all my other plants were watered, too and they're okay.. The base is not soft or wobbly at this time. I inspected for mites with a loupe and didn't find any. The greenhouse temps have ranged from mid 40s to mid 90s over the past month.
hegar

Post by hegar »

I agree with 7george. Your plant is not shaped normally. For its stem thickness it should be less than half as tall.
As far as the discoloration at its base is concerned I do not have any decent diagnosis. Corking would be more brownish, while on your plant there seems to be a yellowish to pink discoloration. So the possibility of either mites or some tiny kind of insect would also be my first guess. As long as the base does not become significantly softer than the rest of the plant and the cactus does not start to lean or tip over, you may be OK.
You should apply mor light to this cactus. However, do not place it in full sun light right away or you may experience sun burn damage. With artificial indoor lighting this should not be as much of a problem.

Harald