What is lignification?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
DesertSun

What is lignification?

Post by DesertSun »

And how does it show in a cactus? I read this on a member's post, never heard this term before.
Thank you!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Re: What is lignification?

Post by ElieEstephane »

i believe i'm the one that mentioned it. Lignification (i believe i used the french term, in English it should be corking (?) ) is when the cells of a plant absorb lignin and take a woody appearance. This way, a stem will become more rigid, resistant to water and decomposition. Normally woody cells occur either at the base of a stem or at a joint and serve as support. This is the natural case (not a bad thing at all). However, it can happen too when a cactus is too humid (but not rotting). The base will become more and more "woody" to reduce the effect of the humidity on the base. I see that a lot on outside cacti that receive a lot of rain during winter.
Here is an example (photo is not mine):
hh.jpg
hh.jpg (143.5 KiB) Viewed 824 times
notice how the stone mulch will retain the humidity in the organic soil and lead to this or rot.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Lignification is the scientific term for plant tissue becoming woody - the plant adds lignin to the cell walls, which makes them harder and more rigid.
Spence :mrgreen:
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Thank you very much for your answers @Elie and @greenknight! So interesting to know, I had heard of corking before, but not this term. It's nice to get to learn new things about cacti!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb