Discoloration, spots on my cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
DesertSun

Discoloration, spots on my cactus

Post by DesertSun »

What are these different color spots on the body of my...don't know, Pachycereus?
He is dry, but not having enough sun at the moment, I can provide sunlight from a southfacing window, he will be outside
in a couple of weeks, we are having a balcony makeover. He is still in his nursery pot, with the same cactus mix soil. Should I worry for this guy? I was thinking of not repotting until spring came. :?
Attachments
DSCN4885.jpg
DSCN4885.jpg (95.31 KiB) Viewed 479 times
DSCN4886.jpg
DSCN4886.jpg (91.71 KiB) Viewed 479 times
DSCN4888.jpg
DSCN4888.jpg (87.72 KiB) Viewed 479 times
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Re: Discoloration, spots on my cactus

Post by ElieEstephane »

I can't see clearly but the blue coloring is actually a waxy protective layer. So anything oily can damage or dissolve it like soapy water or insecticide or finger smudges. I'm not too sure if something spalshed on them or it's a fungal infection.
It's a pilosocereus pachycladus (aka azureus)
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

I'm worried, I don't remember if he had them when I got him. Could be the fact that I didn't know what to look for in a cactus, I admit, signs of disease could easily get unnoticed that way. They don't seem to spread, I have been looking for any signs of them getting bigger. You may be right, about something perharps having being sprayed on it, as the other side doesn't show them in that great a number, only a tiny or two little spots. I will update if anything changes. Thank you so very much!
Chinese proverb
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

I'm not familiar with cacti diseases, but if those spots worry you take a good picture of them lets say, once a week or so. Everytime try to take from same angle and lightning as before. By that you can easily compare the pictures and see if the spots are spreading or not. To me the spots look scarily round, similar to fungi growth, but they can be also just normal something. Hopefully your cacti will be okay
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Thank you @Pompom, I'm going to follow your advice and take photos every couple of days and watch it closely.
I hope it's not fungus or any damage to the plant, so that it makes it until it's placed outside in my balcony. I'm sure the sun
will benefit it, although it has to be acclimated first.
Chinese proverb
hegar

Post by hegar »

I agree with Elie on this one. Something removed patches of the waxy layer that protects your cactus, allowing the regular skin color to show through.
Perhaps your plant got hit with a few drops of soap or something else that is able to dissolve the wax.
In my opinion, this is nothing to get worried about. Except for the cosmetic effect, your plant is most likely doing just fine.

Harald
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

That's a big relief Harald, thank you so much! It would be fine it it didn't have these spots, but the main thing is not the aesthetics, is that there is no serious issue I'm dealing with. For the time being all these days, none of the spots grew bigger! Yay!
Chinese proverb