Would I do better to cut this Myrtillocactus geometrizans down?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Would I do better to cut this Myrtillocactus geometrizans down?

Post by WayneByerly »

... let the cut callus over and replant it ... so that it will grow new roots? and have a thicker base to stand on?

I mean, LOOK at how thin it is at soil level ... when I bought it, it was THAT big around and about 4" tall ... and I can't help but think that it's this thin at ground level over etiolation. It's only been in the greenhouse for 2 years, and it's 4.5 years old.

Opinions solicited ... any ... and advice sought ...

thanks...
20180120_144017.jpg
20180120_144017.jpg (97.53 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Salazar

Re: Would I do better to cut this Myrtillocactus geometrizans down?

Post by Salazar »

I would cut it because it will eventually snap if it gets big enough with a base that thin.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

OK ... so I gave this a little more consideration, and decided that that I had already decided to do it, and wasn't doing anything but putting it off ... so I brought it inside, stertilized my scandi grind morakniv (a knife SO sharp that it'll shave the hair off your arms without any effort) and cut the tops off of both cacti leaving these center internal support "tendons" that were SO strong that I finally had to cut with a pair of wire snips.
1.jpg
1.jpg (64.4 KiB) Viewed 960 times
That yielded a 9" piece ...
2.1.jpg
2.1.jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 960 times
and a 13" piece ... the piece with the "arm".
2.2.jpg
2.2.jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 960 times
thinking that the pieces of this cactus that were still in the ground would grow new ... offsets (?) ... I put them back in the greenhouse in their original spot. Seeing as how the stalks of this cacti were SO thin as to prompt me to cut them down, should I cut these pieces that were left over close to the ground? I only imagine that they WILL grow new offsets, so do i cut them close to the ground to encourage the growth of small diameter stuff? Or just leave the stalks as they are?
3.jpg
3.jpg (85.53 KiB) Viewed 960 times
So I leave these two pieces i've cut, the 9" and the 13" pieces so that the ends will dry and callus over. I then put them in a new pot with a 80% mineral soil, tie them the the support that I've put in the soil and wait for them to grow roots. Once they've started to grow roots, how deep should I plant them? Leave them on the surface? 1" deep? 2" deep? Deeper?
4.jpg
4.jpg (85.85 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

I wish I knew WHY the system INSISTED on turning pictures sideways. Sorry about that folks.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

OK ... I'll ask again ... Seeing as how the stalks of this cacti were SO thin as to prompt me to cut them down, and replant the cuttings, should I cut these pieces that were left over closer to the ground (see pic 3.jpg)?

I only imagine that they WILL grow new offsets ...

... so do i cut them close to the ground to encourage the growth of small diameter stuff? Or just leave the stalks as they are? Somebody give me their opinion here. Preferably somebody that has done some replantings of "cuttings", but anybody with any input is welcome to reply to this!!!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

They will hold themselves quite well wayne. The base will eventually turn a little woody
See how thin the base is on these cardons
Attachments
pach_prin3.jpg
pach_prin3.jpg (79.81 KiB) Viewed 914 times
p_pringlei_a_600.jpg
p_pringlei_a_600.jpg (100.51 KiB) Viewed 914 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:20 amSee how thin the base is on these cardons
Wow, the base those cacti are even thinner than my M. geometrizans are. Had i seen this pic first, i might not have made a cutting of mine. But i guess that it all works out in the end, as I will now have more plants out of the deal. Thanks for your response Elie. I'm glad to know they'll hold up well when they start producing new limbs on the stumps.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It really depends how they are grown Wayne. If outside and subject to wind pressure from virtual seedling stage they will develop a strong woody structure. If grown fast and soft indoors they may not and the thicker more bulky top growth may break off eventually.

Wind rock outdoors strengthens both plants stems and roots. Kew Gardens took out one of their tall palm trees in their Palm House, because having grown vigorously indoors without being subjected to wind rock during most of it's life they were afraid it would get too top heavy for it's roots and may fall on visitors.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Dave

I mentioned this in another posting somewhere, I don't remember where, it may have been here, but this Cactus is about four and a half years old, two and a half of which have been spent in the greenhouse. So it has not been subject to any wind rock at all. First two years inside, next two and a half years in the greenhouse with only a fan to stir the air so that it didn't get overly hot because it's a greenhouse.

So now my question is, once the cuttings begin to root,, how deep should I plant them? How far beneath the surface of the soil should that rim of new Roots be buried? At the moment the two cuttings are Loosely tied to a deeply buried stick to provide support and are just sitting on the surface of a soil mixture that's about 80 or 90% pumice.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

What pot size did you decide to use?
I would fill the pot about 60-70% with my intended mix, place the cutting upright, fill the pot to 85-90% with the rest of the mix and then hold the cutting really well with several large rocks and a dowel if needed
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 pmWhat pot size did you decide to use?
I would fill the pot about 60-70% with my intended mix, place the cutting upright, fill the pot to 85-90% with the rest of the mix and then hold the cutting really well with several large rocks and a dowel if needed
The pots inside diameter is 8 inches and it is 8 in tall at the very upper edge of the rim.

That would make your suggestion to pour about 5 inches deep with another three inches after I place the cutting in it. Correct? That would fill the pot up, but it's got a fairly big drainage hole in the bottom and the mixture is about 80 or 90% pumice. And the mixture is completely dry except for the little moisture that the pumice came with.

I have a dowel but this particular piece of wood that I'm using for support is a square 1/2 inch wooden post. The reason I decided to use it was because I had a 1/16 inch thick piece of of 3"x4" plywood screwed to the end that's covered up, thinking that it would help provide some additional support. I suppose I can find a couple of big rocks but the support is just the post itself with the cuttings Loosely tied to the Post by 2 velcro straps at this moment. The cut ends of the two cuttings are just sitting on top of the pumice right now.

Should I wait until it starts to grow roots to bury it as deep as you are suggesting or should I just bury it now and trust that it will grow roots?

I hope I'm not being a pain with this.

M. geometrizans.jpg
M. geometrizans.jpg (76.67 KiB) Viewed 892 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

When a cutting starts rooting, i try to disturb it as little as possible so i'd put it in its permanent position from the start. What i'd also do is dip the buried end of the piece of wood in oil or wax or any similar water repellant substance. The reason i do this is that i don't trust wet wood as it will mould and rot. It probably won't affect the plant but why take a risk
By the way, i have 2 questions:
1. Are you starting to root it now?
2. Do you intent to root it in the pumice and then move it?
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:56 pmBy the way, i have 2 questions:
1. Are you starting to root it now?
2. Do you intent to root it in the pumice and then move it?
1} I posted a picture of it... yes, I have already cut it down and put both cuttings in pumice.
2) I brought the M. geometrizans in from the cold to take pictures of it so that I could post them with this question regarding whether or not I should make cuttings of it. Being undecided whether or not I should make cuttings of it I didn't take it back outside . And then I did make cuttings of it. I put the two stumps back out in the greenhouse being fairly certain that they would start new growth around the top where they were cut, but the two cuttings won't go back outside into cold winter temperatures. I figure it'll just get a head start on Spring. As quickly as the temperatures outside come up above Frost levels, the cuttings will go back outside to the greenhouse where they will get more light. I have put them in the pumice for rooting purposes and that's where they will stay. I figure, that the pot it is in now is a good match, size wise, for the two cuttings. The pot may make a change in location but the cacti cuttings are is pretty much where they are going to be.

I'll take your advice and dip the ends of the two cuttings in oil and then plant them 3 in deep or so and then go look for a big rock to support them with. The pot is heavy enough as it is, but I'll look for a rock of an appropriate size. I shouldn't have too much trouble.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Wayne i said the wooden support not the cactus itself! I hope you haven't dipped the cacti i oil
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 pm Wayne i said the wooden support not the cactus itself! I hope you haven't dipped the cacti i oil
I thought that a little strange, but I thought that was what you meant. And seeing as how you know so much better than I do about this stuff ... I did it ... I wiped some olive oil on the ends of the cuttings. I suppose I should pull it back up trim the end off and let it re-callus over again, eh?

That's what I get for not paying close enough attention to what I'm reading. Old age has struck yet once again I suppose.