minimum temp for cacti

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
oriky

minimum temp for cacti

Post by oriky »

Hi, guys, i just moving house and gone take with me all the plants :)
most of them in 50\50 humus-stone mix. i move to mountain, at the winter the plants will not get direct sunlight, and will be in green house, the temp can arrived to -2 at nights and 4-5 at days (it's something happens and some couple years it's snowing. it's cold area and i panic the plants will die,

i will gone save the soil totally dry at the winter, which plants not gone survive? i grow all species,
i just want start move plants, the other i just will sell\save at my friend house, soo...

Thelo family?
lopho?
noto?
echinocereus?
echinocactus?
Leuchtenbergia?

which families will not survive?

THANKS
cactushobbyman

Re: minimum temp for cacti

Post by cactushobbyman »

If plants are dry and low humidity, 4-5 days at -2 degrees you will need some kind of heat. The greenhouse could stay warmer, but you will need to heat at least to the mid 20's.
oriky

Post by oriky »

-2 it's only for couple hours, and it's very rare, but sometime it's happend, i cant heat the green house...
Robb

Post by Robb »

I've had plants from all of those genera in my unheated greenhouse survive down to -1. I imagine that they'll do fine for you at -2. The only plants I'd be concerned about are the Notocacti as some of them come from tropical Brazil, so would probably be less cold hardy. I'd recommend looking up your species individual requirements on llifle and take the ones that need heat indoors for winter.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

It's useful to know where you are (Israel?) and what temperature scale you are using (deg C?)
I would expect everything you list to be completely fine with -2C at night and plus a few C during the day, with the possible exception of some Notocactus species.
However, given this "-2 it's only for couple hours, and it's very rare, but sometime it's happen" I'd expect most Notocacti to be fine too.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I was not thinking Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion. :?: I was thinking Farhreheit. Doing the conversion -2 Celsius should be no problem at all. I have all the cactus you are asking about in my greenhouse except Lophophora and in my area the temps get into the low 20"s degrees fahreheit or about -4 Celsius. I think most will enjoy the chill temps to help them flower in spring. Thelocactus give me great blooms. :D