Does soil change spine colour?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
GK23

Does soil change spine colour?

Post by GK23 »

Hi

I have recently repotted my Mammillaria carmenae into straight pumice
I have noticed that the new spines being produced are not the usual orange/yellowy colour, but white
The plant is also growing flowers at the moment, so is it the pumice that is causing the spine colour change or the plant being 'busy' making flowers?
Here is a before and after.

Thanks in advance! :D
ElieEstephane

Re: Does soil change spine colour?

Post by ElieEstephane »

It might be possible but i can't say for sure as i have no related experience. However, in a straight pumice soil, you have to supply the plant with all the nutrients (micro and macro) meaning you have to fertilize every time you water. So the lack of orange color could be due to the lack of a certain micronutrient.
It could also be the weaker october sun and spine formation is related to light intensity.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed. Red spines require iron, does your fertilizer contain any?
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

New spines are always a deeper colour and thicker than mature spines, since when they are full length and finished growing they will dry out and harden, usually becoming paler. Wait and see if they finish up same as last years spines later on in the year. That is the way we tell when the plants are starting to grow, when new thicker deeper coloured spines first appear in the crown in Spring.

Notice how darker and thicker the new spines are in photo's 2 - 11 and 12 in the link below compared to she older spines underneath.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/gallery/Photo ... spines.htm
GK23

Post by GK23 »

I will look for fertiliser with iron in it.
Thanks everyone for the great help, much appreciated!! :D :D :D
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Try to find fertilizer with a full range of minerals. Another option would be to use a liquid seaweed product along with your current fertilizer.
Spence :mrgreen:
toson

Post by toson »

DaveW wrote:New spines are always a deeper colour and thicker than mature spines, since when they are full length and finished growing they will dry out and harden, usually becoming paler. Wait and see if they finish up same as last years spines later on in the year. That is the way we tell when the plants are starting to grow, when new thicker deeper coloured spines first appear in the crown in Spring.

Notice how darker and thicker the new spines are in photo's 2 - 11 and 12 in the link below compared to she older spines underneath.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/gallery/Photo ... spines.htm
yeah 'new spines are always a deeper colour and thicker than mature spines', 50% correct :D ,on the other hand new spines may look thicker than old spines coz' they're so fresh with high water content.Some growers may be excited when they consider the thick new spines as a strong form.That's not true,after the new spines losing their water,becoming dry,they grow thinner and longer :D like those mature ones