Full sun vs Shade cloth

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
stefan m.

Re: Full sun vs Shade cloth

Post by stefan m. »

Really wanna try eulchinia or barrel cacti or stenocereus.
Though, i think taste is cause of some "local" cultivars,.
Cholla fruit- tasted like dry rubbery melon peel
Mammilaria- like a sticky unripe strawbery
Lepismium- sweet. just plain sweet, lacking any noteworthy flavor.
Last edited by stefan m. on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Look up the sanky fruit of corryocactus brevistylus. It seems interesting.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Think i germinated that... Edit still in stock at koehress if you want.
Cacidy

Post by Cacidy »

That image is undoubtedly good information regarding effects of light on growth. Just wanted to mention a few issues with the 'experiment'. The pot for full sun is significantly larger/deeper for more root growth, cooler roots, bigger drinks. It also makes the other cactus appear small because the soil level is not at the same height. The spines are definitely thicker but the cactus may be older, I can count 8 areoles on two ribs and can only count 7 on the shade plant. Usually more sun=more compact. I do like seeing the comparison though, thank you for posting it!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Cacidy wrote:That image is undoubtedly good information regarding effects of light on growth. Just wanted to mention a few issues with the 'experiment'. The pot for full sun is significantly larger/deeper for more root growth, cooler roots, bigger drinks. It also makes the other cactus appear small because the soil level is not at the same height. The spines are definitely thicker but the cactus may be older, I can count 8 areoles on two ribs and can only count 7 on the shade plant. Usually more sun=more compact. I do like seeing the comparison though, thank you for posting it!
It would be interesting to conpare two identical plants in all aspects in full sun and under shade cloth and be able to show how compact the plant will be. However, the owner of these photos was only showing difference in spination.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
7george

Post by 7george »

elieestephane wrote: It would be interesting to conpare two identical plants in all aspects in full sun and under shade cloth and be able to show how compact the plant will be. However, the owner of these photos was only showing difference in spination.
These plants in the beginning have some columnar growing habit so their "compactness" will be hard to see under any conditions.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

7george wrote:
elieestephane wrote: It would be interesting to conpare two identical plants in all aspects in full sun and under shade cloth and be able to show how compact the plant will be. However, the owner of these photos was only showing difference in spination.
These plants in the beginning have some columnar growing habit so their "compactness" will be hard to see under any conditions.
I've got some ferocactus, echinocactus ane echinocereus which all are full sun plants. Im gonna pick the most similar plants and do this experiment.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

i think youll notice a difference even on the same plant after moving it/
7george

Post by 7george »

stefan m. wrote:i think youll notice a difference even on the same plant after moving it/
I have one Echinocereus that got burned last summer after been taken outside under direct sun that is very strong here. Spines still cover the affected top but soon (or later) I expect of it branch, recover or get uglier. 8)

Otherwise I have no doubt about influence of the light intensity on spines formation and body shape of cacti.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have not done pictures of before and after , but I do notice when I put a nursery grown/greenhouse cactus into my garden by the end of the first season it will shrink up to or more than 50% or the transplanted size. I have seen this with Echinocereus, Mammillaria, Echinopsis, even Echinocactus. I have to be very careful of sun burn and will put a small piece of shade cloth if transplanted later in the growing season. I do notice that after a few years in the garden, the plant will have frost and sun burn damage no matter how well placed in the garden but is much more hardier i.e., able to handle the elements. If they can't handle the elements they will perish. :idea:
J-M

Post by J-M »

M. zeilmaniana on steroids I bought from a hardware store =
Mamm. inconnu.jpg
Mamm. inconnu.jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
The same M. zeilmaniana 4 months later, enjoying full sun =
IMG_1450_mod.jpg
IMG_1450_mod.jpg (138 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I reckon we should do a wholesale vs natural(as you possible can grow) comparison of plants.
7george

Post by 7george »

Espostoa lanata starting cephalium under shade grid, Arizona.

The same speciess at full sun, California. :sunny:
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I think that newly purchased cactus should be protected from full sun using shade cloth. The problem with full sun is the sun damage that cannot be removed. I know that many succulents grow new outer skin, but most cactus do not grow new outer skin and that is a big difference.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Clearly there is a diffrence. It seems cacti mature more easily/ at a smaller size in full sun. suppose you think this might be funny, but its possible the plant considers it as an obstruction that could stop bats from pollinating it. In addition, the full sun one is fuzzier- needed more protection.