Commercial growing

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ElieEstephane

Re: Commercial growing

Post by ElieEstephane »

I found a very interesting seed starting approach on this link (although i do not agree with his 5000 lux - probably too low)
https://www.cactuspro.com/articles/pres ... de_cactees
In summary, he suggests starting the seeds in alternating humidity periods: 3 days high humidity and 3 days low humidity.
Apparently he has 90% germination and almost 0% casualities
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

elieestephane wrote:===
In summary, he suggests starting the seeds in alternating humidity periods: 3 days high humidity and 3 days low humidity.
Alternating humidity would be a challenge if you want to keep seed sealed in a plastic and also seedling during first months of life. But I often get good results with seeds that don't germinate after first attempt and been dried and watered once or several times afterwards for even longer periods.

Also commercial growers have different goals from as: the time is money for them and every plant germinated and reached production size is important. From other hand few of us have a desert nearby to plant or at least a vast backyard or greenhouse, most will be happy with 2 - 3 (- 5) plants a species grown up and joined their collection. So I think that looking for maximum survival rate is not always good for the quality of seedling plants obtained in the result. That is because we will have to modify growing conditions in favor of smallest and weakest,last germinated ones and we will often lose these at later stage anyway. So the best seedlings would be those grown on the side of pots from seeds fallen by occasion from our seed or spread by hand or wind to get a chance for surviving.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

7george wrote:
elieestephane wrote:===
Alternating humidity would be a challenge if you want to keep seed sealed in a plastic and also seedling during first months of life. But I often get good results with seeds that don't germinate after first attempt and been dried and watered once or several times afterwards for even longer periods.

Also commercial growers have different goals from as: the time is money for them and every plant germinated and reached production size is important. From other hand few of us have a desert nearby to plant or at least a vast backyard or greenhouse, most will be happy with 2 - 3 (- 5) plants a species grown up and joined their collection. So I think that looking for maximum survival rate is not always good for the quality of seedling plants obtained in the result. That is because we will have to modify growing conditions in favor of smallest and weakest,last germinated ones and we will often lose these at later stage anyway. So the best seedlings would be those grown on the side of pots from seeds fallen by occasion from our seed or spread by hand or wind to get a chance for surviving.
I honestly didn't find a reason to try this method as it is too fussy. But i thought i'd share it as it can be useful for some hard to germinate species or for someone with a few seeds of a rare or expensive species. I wouldn't try it but i only posted it of someone would find it useful.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

DaveW wrote:However I have also used a 1cm (3/8") layer of coarse potting grit on top of my usual potting compost mixture.
I have a followup question...since i don't like how organic matter sticks to the roots and it's very hard to remove without loosing some roots, can i use instead of that a mixture of perlite, sand and top soil? This mixture would be very easy to wash out from the roots without any damage.
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria