Did I hear right-Cat litter?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
stefan m.

Did I hear right-Cat litter?

Post by stefan m. »

So ive been reading some people use cat litter as a addon to cactus soil.... On several forums. Id personally like to use it, but know next to nothing about it. So, anyone whose ever used it in soil, is welcome to actually explain the types and which one should be used (what to look for) . After all, i dont want to damage my cacti, and neither do i want to sound like a fool when i buy it.
esp_imaging

Re: Did I hear right-Cat litter?

Post by esp_imaging »

If you pick exactly the right type of cat litter, it's an excellent component of cactus compost.

It must be fired clay granules - so most types will not be suitable. Any described as calcined moler (or molar) clay are ones to go for, if they have that detail of descripton.

This is a good one - unfortunately neither the product pack not the website state that it is fired clay granules:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /265235247

This is also good - has a nice photo, plus a couple of the user comments are from plant growers not cat owners!
http://www.petshop.co.uk/Sanicat-Pink-Cat-Litter

Lots of UK growers use these to make up a large part (even 100% for some people) of their compost.
No idea about non-UK products, sorry!
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Thanks, at least i know what to look for, esp_imaging. I do appreciate other outputs-the cat litter is likely imported from germany here.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Our hobby pinched the idea from the Bonsai growers, so this site explains the type you need if you read all four pages. However if it does not yet cover your country you may have to search for the right type yourself, meaning the one composed of fired hard clay non soluble granules rather like grit sized broken brick. Remember cat litter is intended for cat litter trays not plants, so many types are sold for cats but not all are suitable for cactus soils, therefore any bag of cat litter will not do,

http://www.bonsai4me.co.uk/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

As you will see from the link Tesco in the UK has now changed the design of it's Premium Low Dust cat litter three times in recent years, therefore you have to keep up with the latest bag design to get the right one and the Bonsai site is often a good source of information on package changes.
teo

Post by teo »

The brand I use (X-tra which is 'moler' by Danolin) is produced in Denmark.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

What about Diatomaceous Earth ? I know that is sold in hardware shops...
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Diatomaceous Earth is discussed in several previous posts. Please use the search option first.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Not exactly/directly. I did read its a substitute for volcanic components, but again, everybody beats around the bush about it. Eg, main site soil discussions, disocactus soil, california mix...
But nobody mentioning what type they use( im not a construction engineer, im a renewable resources student). So only thing i know about it is that its composed out of dead algae and sea creatures. I am assuming there are different types , and is used in energy efficient isolation. But beyond that, specifically for cacti, there is not much on this forum.
EDIT/ If you want proof viewtopic.php?t=7866.
They only talk about some local type, not what type is used.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

So just checked the cat litter section- most of them werent specific on the type, none were with windows, and im pretty sure those arent the ones i was looking for. Think i should have checked in a pet shop, not a supermarket.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The Bonsai link I posted discusses the types useable.

"Tescos Low Dust Lightweight cat litter is a 'Moler Clay' and originates from Denmark, exported by a Scandinavian company - Damolin. Moler Clay is a type of Diatomaceous Earth or 'Diatomite'. "Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator."
"Freshwater diatomite (Diatomaceous Earth) can be used as a growing medium in hydroponics gardens.
It is also used as a growing medium in potted plants, particularly as bonsai soil. Bonsai enthusiasts use it as a soil additive or pot a bonsai tree in 100% Diatomaceous earth. Like perlite, vermiculite, and expanded clay, it retains water and nutrients while draining fast, allowing high oxygen circulation within the growing medium."
"Its absorbent qualities make it useful for spill clean-up and the U.S. Center for Disease Control recommends it to clean up toxic liquid spills.”“More recently, it has been employed as a primary ingredient in a type of cat litter. The type of silica used in cat litter comes from freshwater sources and does not pose a significant health risk to pets or humans." (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth)

So essentially, if you are unable to obtain 'Tescos Low Dust Lightweight' cat-litter (moler-clay/ Diatomaceous Earth/diatomite) what other product names is it sold as? In the UK there is a product called Sophisticat Pink cat litter that is sold at 'Petsmart' and 'Pets at Home' and it is exactly the same clay granules as those sold as 'Tescos Low Dust Lightweight'. (Interestingly, there are a few references online to experienced UK bonsai enthusiasts that have been using Sophisticat Pink cat litter to good effect for many years)."

The easy way is to use the "contact us" facility in the following link and see if Damolin supplies it as cat litters or for any other purpose to your country.

http://damolin.com/
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Doesnt account for the fact the all products were windowless(could not see inside), and with half baked descriptions.
This forum said:
Look for baked clay spheres on the description OR look for orange/brown granules. What i saw was neither. #-o :-k
Intersingly enough, my assumption that the products were german was wrong- in fact they are from italy!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You don't need to see it if you know the brand and pack it comes in and Damolin may be able to give you that information.
7george

Post by 7george »

I have used cat litter from Walmart for about 2 years. Cheapest one without scent and colour, kind of baked clay. I have put it in my mixes as major component. Some particles degrade with time, some stay intact but this was not the problem. My feeling is that this thing bounds water inside so tight, that plants are not able to get it from that soil in the way it should be. So I started to change that soil eliminating fully the cat litter from the new one. Maybe as a minor part, up to 25% the impact would be acceptable for common cacti. Also think that would be fine for plants held outdoors during rainy summers to deal with extra water, also for raised beds and rock gardens. Just try that thing first on few plants as moderate part in your mixes.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I didnt think of using up to 15% mix added - so that wouldnt be an issue. Im looking for a cheap replacement for volcanics, something thats commonly available even here. As for the outdoor plants, the opunita humifsa seems content just the way it is..
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The hard baked red clay one does not degrade. You probably got one of the softer ones George. I have just come back from a supermarket where luckily their cat litter bags had a transparent window in them and their premium one was white, though they claimed it was none clumping.

Seramis is a similar product but far more expensive. The clay granules form you want, not their orchid compost or other mixes.

https://www.hydroculture.co.uk/seramis-clay-granules

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... s&_sacat=0

You can "Google" for it, or for hydroponic suppliers as the materials they use do not break down. Of course if it's imported the shipping often costs more than the product. Always a problem with anything you personally cannot collect locally, which is why people tend to only grow their plants in the cheaper materials available locally.