what is the best way to save & maybe straighten this cactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
inotarobot

what is the best way to save & maybe straighten this cactus

Post by inotarobot »

Greeting to all from a New Member in Melbourne, Australia.

Thank you for letting me join your group, as I am in need of advice please.

Ok I am an practical 66yo engineer, with limited gardening knowledge and would appreciate some help and advice on saving plus hopefully up-righting, a old cactus that has been damaged by strong winds early in 2017. I was away and my lady friend was quite ill, and it was simply forgotten about lying on its side, in the small pot. It had been stacked and vertical when I got it for her, and it appears the stake had broken when it was blown over.

It flowered recently this lovely red color on the top. I did not get a picture though.

I note there appears to be a hole in the upper facing side as can be sort of seen as the white patch , under the string close to the pot, in this next pic

this is a photo of the underside, that currently is facing the ground when the pot is level

I assume the best first step is to carefully secure as much of the now "horizontal" part of cactus with some temporary splint.Wondering what I should use so as to not damage the spikes etc.

Then I guess I look at repotting it in a bigger pot, before attempting to slowly over months ?, just to try and raise the bent over section a few degrees every week.

I had thought about making a simple metal stake in two parts, hinged such that the hinge point can be loosened to allow me to make the adjustments to the angle. One end would be in the pot and the other supporting the main long stem.

Then as I wrote this, I suddenly though, I have some thick wall plastic water pipe that is about the same ID as this Cacutus OD.

I could cut the pipe in half long wise, and and use the U shape to support the cactus. I would affix this to the hinged metal stake with some self tapping screws.

I think my questions are

1. Should I really attempt to get this cactus to stand vertical again ?

2. What effect is the hole in the side likely to have to it surviving and should I try to cover the hole in some way, to stop bugs or water getting in ?

3. Should I re-pot it ? and what size pot would be best for its long term life and when is the best time in the year, (( Its summer here now ))

4. What age would it be and I wonder how long do they live and would it get much bigger, and does it have a name ?

thank you in advance and hope all have a wonderful 2018.

regards
David
ElieEstephane

Re: what is the best way to save & maybe straighten this cactus

Post by ElieEstephane »

First of all, welcome to the forum! Your plant appears to be a Mammilalria pilcayensis. The cacti lack the woody structure at their base and will inevitably bend as they get older and larger.
1. It's a matter of taste wether you want it to hang ir stand. I would personnally put it in a hnaging basket since it will eventually branch with a little more care.
2. I can't see the hole well but if it's dry and firm have no worries.
3. Do repot it. Knock away as much of the old soil and clean the roots and repot in a pot slightly larger than the rootball with a fast draining mix that is not too organic.
4. Size is not indication of age. It all depends on how much it is watered and fed and how much light it gets.

Maybe with a better photo of the hole a diagnosis can be given.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
cactushobbyman

Re: what is the best way to save & maybe straighten this cactus

Post by cactushobbyman »

There are a lot of cactus that will prostrate as they get taller. Several in the mammillaria family. The damage maybe from trying to keep it upright. Get a 8 inch hanging basket and let it hang. If I'm not mistaking, its natural habitat is rocky outcroppings.