Would I do better to cut this Myrtillocactus geometrizans down?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
7george

Re: Would I do better to cut this Myrtillocactus geometrizans down?

Post by 7george »

So you are asking just to create anther topic in this forum? Reasonable. :D

I would cut those cacti too. The trunks can be used for grafting stock etc.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:27 am So you are asking just to create anther topic in this forum? Reasonable. :D
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

WayneByerly wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:46 am I wiped some olive oil on the ends of the cuttings. I suppose I should pull it back up trim the end off and let it re-callus over again, eh?
I wouldn't worry. "Just leave them alone" is often a good strategy with cuttings.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 pmI hope you haven't dipped the cacti i oil
Elie...

When people exchange information by way of text, there's no tone of voice there to give it any real context. So when I got this message from you, I rather thought it sounded kind of dire. Like I had done something that would assure the death or dismemberment of my cactus :D . Maybe it was just more of me not paying enough attention to what I'm reading, or maybe reading more into it than there was. But it any rate I did pull the cuttings back up, cut 1/2 inch off the ends where I applied the oil, and then took a bunch of candles, melted them on the stove, and painted the wooden stick that I'm using for support with wax. When the cuttings callus over again in maybe 2 more days because it's already been one day now, i'll replant them about 3 in deep. And assume that they will grow roots.

I have no problems with cutting offsets and replanting those, but I had never done any cuttings before. And so I faced the prospect with a good bit of trepidation. Which is probably the explanation for why I have pestered you for so much detail in this regard. To make it worth all the effort that you have expended on my account, I will hope that the information that has passed between us is at least instructive to some of the other members here on this forum.

I know you have a job, and other people to contend with also, so I really feel bad about taking up so much of your time and attention. At any rate, all of this is to say that I appreciate very much all the time that you have taken with me. I think it's just extraordinary that you have done so. Thank you very much... Danke Schoen ... muchas gracias ... Bolshoi spasiba ... domo arigato ... merci beaucoup... Grazie mille!!!
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Not worries at all wayne! I'm always happy to help!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: