Hi to all

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
ianc

Hi to all

Post by ianc »

Hi,

Basically, I used to collect cacti many years ago and was always keen to know their identities. Back then most were labelled.
Recently I have started to collect them again. This time around is seems many shops do not identify them.
An old Cacti book that I have only contains images of around 67 species so I thought the internet would make identification much easier. :?

Having stumbled across your site some time ago, whilst researching the few cacti I have, I'm still unsure of their names, so I decided to register.

Ian
rsales3

Re: Hi to all

Post by rsales3 »

Welcome.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Ian,
I also welcome you to the cactus and succulent blog on CactiGuide. Despite working with cacti off and on as part of my job, I too receive cacti from Mexico, which do not have a valid name. Posting the images, usually one photo showing the top of the cactus, another the side view, and perhaps a third, which shows a close-up view of the spines, and giving a little information about the length of the spines, number of radial versus central spines, number of ribs, diameter of plant body, etc. will all be helpful for identification work. In most cases will I receive at least one response from forum members, who are more knowledgeable than I am. Of course, older cacti, especially images that do show them in flower, are easier to name than seedling cacti.
So, don't be shy and give it a try. I would bet, that in a pretty high percentage range you will receive a good and valid name for your unknown plants.

Harald
thorneyheart

Post by thorneyheart »

Welcome, Ian!
ianc

Post by ianc »

Thanks for the welcome messages.
Since registering I think I have identified at least two of the specimens I currently have.

I'll post in the ID section for confirmation soon.