Xerophilia - another free online journal

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
Brunãozinho

Re: Xerophilia - another free online journal

Post by Brunãozinho »

Thanks for posting, can´t wait to read the articles.
Bruno
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi All,

First of all we apologize for the delay, due to improvements in the functionality of the e-zine and last minute changes and additions to the summary (especially a magnificent event we had to cover). We expect to be online with Xerophilia no. 10 (Vol. 3, No. 3 – October 2014) in 8-10 days from now.

From the summary:

Pedro Nájera Quezada - Carnivorous xeric flora in San Luis Potosí, México

Aldo Delladio - A three weeks trip in Mexico (Part 1)

Piet van der Meer, Daniel Guillot Ortiz, Charles Puche & Pedro Nájera Quezada - Iconography of Agave univittata Haw. and Agave lechuguilla Torr. (Agavaceae)

Francisco Moreno - Agave potatorum and other xerophytes in Tepanco de López, Puebla

Erik Holm - A Dane visiting Romania - a story about friendship and cacti (Part 1)

A new fantastic plant: Mammillaria bertholdii Linzen spec. nova (includes an interview with Thomas Linzen)

Stefan Nitzschke - Mammillaria theresae Cutak and Mammillaria deherdtiana Farwig (On the history of cv. albiflora)

Andrea Cattabriga - Festa del Cactus 2014

Judd Kirkel Welwitch - Touring some Lithops in the wild

Jennifer Pannell - When succulents attack! (A peninsula under threat)

Leo Rodríguez - Some of my recent fine art works

… and more!

Eduart, on behalf of the Xerophilia Team.
eduart

Post by eduart »

We hope to be online mid to late next week!

eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi All,

Xerophilia no. 10 (Vol. 3, No. 3 – October 2014) is online and ready for you to download from http://www.xerophilia.ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; !

As a new feature the e-zine has three layers of text – English, Romanian and Original (the original language the article was written in) – that can be switched from the buttons (en – ro – or) at the bottom of every page. Not only bilingual, but a multi-lingual publication at a click of the mouse!

We apologize for the delay – more than one month – but the implementation of this new feature and unfortunate changes to our summary have contributed to this delay. We hope to be online with our 11th regular issue in mid to late December, as planned.

Enjoy!

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

eduart wrote:As a new feature the e-zine has three layers of text – English, Romanian and Original (the original language the article was written in) – that can be switched from the buttons (en – ro – or) at the bottom of every page. Not only bilingual, but a multi-lingual publication at a click of the mouse!
This does not seem to work for me. I see multiple layers of text on top of each other, making the texts unreadable. Pressing the buttons on the bottom of a page does not do anything. Both the PDF shown in my browser (Safari) and the standard PDF viewer Mac OSX provides. The link to the table of content does work, however.
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi Aiko,

Both masterfiles work perfectly for me, I also downloaded the smaller file from the site and all works fine for me. Save the file on the hard drive (don't use it as opened by the browser) and try opening it again.

Is it the latest (or a fairly recent) Adobe you are using?

Thanks for the feedback, I will forward your comment to our computer guru.

Cheers,
Eduart
Robb

Post by Robb »

A very interesting read eduart! I have a better appreciation of the succulents growing around my area now!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

eduart wrote: Is it the latest (or a fairly recent) Adobe you are using?

Thanks for the feedback, I will forward your comment to our computer guru.
Nope, not the latest. I run Mac OSX 10.6.8 (and not planning on updating!) and the latest Safari browser for this OS.

At work it does function on a Windows 7 machine running Firefox.
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi All,

In few days Xerophilia no. 11 (Vol. 3, No. 4 – December 2014) will be online and ready for you to download from http://www.xerophilia.ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; !

From the summary:

Pedro Nájera Quezada et al – Rescue translocation of Pelecyphora strobiliformis from an area of high anthropogenic impact in the state of San Luis Potosí

Aldo Delladio - A three weeks trip in Mexico (Part 2)

Ionuț Mihai Floca – Wonderful miniatures!

Eduart Zimer – Whakaari – White Island

Dag Panco, Pavel Golubovskiy, Eduart Zimer & Pedro Nájera Quezada – Mammillaria bertholdii “Snicer import”

Erik Holm – A Dane visiting Romania (Part 2)

Leo Rodríguez - Mammillaria polythele, M. zeilmanniana and other cacti from Guanajuato

D. Guillot Ortiz et al – New records of allochthonous succulent plants of ornamental origin in the province of Valencia

Cristian Perez Badillo - Biznaga blanca chilona another habitat pictorial about Epithelantha

Malcolm A. Grant - Distribution of the trifid disease of cacti in habitat

Miguel Angel González Botello - Anthophagy

Federico Centenari - Copiapoa cinerea, a cultivation experiment

Linda Cecilia Muñoz - Inert Rooting

Eduart Zimer – Beschorneria yuccoides, a new adventive succulent recorded in New Zealand

Eduart Zimer - CSSNZ Auckland Show 2014

… and more!

Starting with the 10th issue, our e-zine has three layers of text – English, Romanian and Original (the original language the article was written in) – that can be switched from the buttons at the bottom of the page (en – ro – or). Not only bilingual, but a multi-lingual publication at a click of the mouse! Important: It doesn’t always work if you open the e-zine directly, depending on your browser. Important: It doesn’t always work if you open the e-zine directly, depending on your browser. In order to enjoy the multi-lingual feature save the file on your hard drive and open it again with Adobe PDF Reader!

Enjoy!

eduart

Post by eduart »

Almost there...

eduart

Post by eduart »

We are online now!
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi,

Some of you may have received our two 2015 calendars per email... a bit later than usual. Although not an official Xerophilia product (and therefore not available on our website), the 2015 calendars can be viewed / downloaded from:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/251906766/Xe ... dar-2015-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.scribd.com/doc/251906868/Xe ... dar-2015-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The calendars were not intended to be very functional – who needs classic calendars nowadays anyway? – but represent a big THANK YOU! to all who contributed with pictures, articles, support, ideas, translations and more to our effort of sharing free knowledge!

I just came back from holiday and didn't manage to reply to all emails, messages, posts, etc.... I would like to apologize for the delay in replying!

Cheers,
Eduart
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi,

For an upcoming article in Xerophilia I need 3-5 habitat pictures of Hesperaloe parviflora to extend and enrich the existing illustration. A good shot of flower detail would be also appreciated (this could be also be of cultivated plants). Resolution at least 1200 x 800. Of course, authors will be credited accordingly. Please email at eduart.zimer@xerophilia.ro

Many thanks,
Eduart
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi All,

A new Xerophilia special issue (S-5 / Feb. 2015) will be online and ready for you to download from http://www.xerophilia.ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in only few hours!

Eduart Zimer - A review of the succulent flora of Rangitoto Island, Hauraki Gulf, New Zealand

followed by the full version of Whakaari – The White Island (the abridged version was published in Xerophilia 11)

166 pages and over 330 pictures and illustrations. English only edition. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Eduart
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi All,

Time flies… and we have a new issue almost ready. In a matter of days Xerophilia no. 12 (Vol. 4, No. 1 – March 2015) will be online and ready for you to download from http://www.xerophilia.ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; !

From the summary:

Pedro Nájera Quezada et al - Sierra San Miguelito, a preliminary regional ecological analysis

Håkan Sönnermo - Peru, between mountains and sea

Claudia Martínez - Sierra Santa Bárbara, Ocampo, Guanajuato. The southernmost region of “El Gran Tunal”

Martin Tversted Ravn - Cultivating cacti and other succulents in Denmark

Massimo Afferni - Botanical excursion to Monte de Las Mercedes in Chinamada and Taganana (Tenerife, Canary Islands)

Javier Mera Rangel - The ideal cactus substrate

Leo Rodríguez - Nopal, the great cultural pillar of México

Michael Lange & Werner Rischer - An intractable problem: Echinocereus ortegae

Erik Holm - A Dane visiting Romania: a story about friendship and cacti – Part three

… and more!

Starting with the 10th issue, our e-zine has three layers of text – English, Romanian and Original (the original language the article was written in) – that can be switched from the buttons at the bottom of the page (en – ro – or). Not only bilingual, but a multi-lingual publication at a click of the mouse! Important: It doesn’t always work if you open the e-zine directly, depending on your browser. Important: It doesn’t always work if you open the e-zine directly, depending on your browser. In order to enjoy the multi-lingual feature save the file on your hard drive and open it again with Adobe PDF Reader!

Enjoy!