new here...looking for id/advice

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
lilsport

new here...looking for id/advice

Post by lilsport »

I have had this cactus for several years and it has really grown a lot where I have it in my house. Looking to get it identified and advice on what I should do with it to keep it healthy. Right now I have another smaller, prickly cacti with it and they seem to be fine together, although they may be running out of room. I can post other photos if recommended. This cactus is fairly smooth and was bought a an annual plant sale in Minnesota- it is not native to MN, though. Thanks!
Attachments
cacti two.jpg
cacti two.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 780 times
cacti one.jpg
cacti one.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Salazar

Re: new here...looking for id/advice

Post by Salazar »

That plant isn't supposed to have long gangly stems. You should really give it much more light than what it's getting right now, preferably put it outdoors.
The ID however I'm not sure.
Tofterigen

Post by Tofterigen »

Hi lilsport

Your plant is a badly etiolated Opuntia! (search the net under the heading of "etiolation" or "cactus etiolation"). It is crying for more light! I don't know the weight of the pot, but to put it outside would be the best choice.....but: it has to be slowly accustomed to the sun, just like you, spending your vacation in Florida! Avoid the full noon-light in the beginning or look for a partially shady place and increase the time and intensity step by step. Otherwise the plant will get severely sunburned or even die.

If you do not have the possibility to put the plant outside (like me), place it just behind the brightest window in your home. When the new shots look like the basal segments (flat disks instead of round stabs), your plant will return to it's natural grow-pattern.

Do not expect too much for this year, because the growing-season gradually comes to an end. If the nights begin to get really cold, you should put the plant inside again. Avoid any frost!

Search the forum (or the net) for details about substrate and watering and a suitable container. Beware of the glochids!

Good luck,

Tofterigen
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Probably Opuntia ficus-indica. Agreed on the etiolation - the badly elongated segments need to be pruned off.
Spence :mrgreen:
lilsport

Post by lilsport »

Thanks for the information. You have given me the motivation to get it outside by this weekend. There was a reference to pruning the new growth. I am assuming I can just trim it off? I will be able to get it a good light / shade mix as I reintroduce it back outside, which is where I had it last year. I knew that growth pattern didn't look right.... thanks for the advice!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, those long whip-like segments should just be cut off where they originate.
Spence :mrgreen:
lilsport

Post by lilsport »

Thanks! Done.. and done..outside and trimmed up!