so called Mamm sp. ?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
KittieKAT

so called Mamm sp. ?

Post by KittieKAT »

My friend sent me this for Christmas, its a pretty painlessly spined supposedly "mammillaria sp." ...atleast thats what he calls it, thought id fish around for a real name to this little clump of cuteness. Its tiny at the moment only in a 2inch pot i believe, but its clumped into a mass of tiny painless spined cuteness on every side you look. Any clue to its REAL id?
Attachments
CAM02247.jpg
CAM02247.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
CAM02248.jpg
CAM02248.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
DaveW

Re: so called Mamm sp. ?

Post by DaveW »

Could be a Pygmaeocereus?

http://www.cactuscollection.net/Cacti/P ... anus_2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://kkplzen.eu/index.php/forum/5-Kak ... 5&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice plant whatever it is.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

I'd go with Mammillaria vetula ssp gracilis cv. Arizona Snowcap.
iann

Post by iann »

Something not quite right about 'Arizona Snowcap'. Looks too tidy and "normal". Doesn't look like any other Mammillaria though. Maybe a partially reverted form? Or just the photo? Look for the fuzzy new growth and the distinctive sea urchin spines pointing in all directions, there really isn't another cactus like it.
snowcap3.jpg
snowcap3.jpg (59.41 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
For a general check on whether it is a Mammillaria or not (since they generally don't have nice lines of areoles like your plant) look in the axil between the areoles. That's where Mammillarias produce their flowers, and virtually no other cactus does. At the least you should be able to see a few bristles or a tiny dab of hair.
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I don't see any hair or tufts in between the areoles but then again its very get small. I can't really see the details of the harmless spikes that great, but they apear to be just a bunch of tiny little short soft spines that are pokinf out all over but still in a neat way not so much randomly.One thing that it has is the white tufluffy tuft looking top at the head of the plant but its very short not that high up from the top of the plant's head like in those pix, more like sunken in to the top slightly. And also the harmless spikes that cover the whole cactus body are a slightly off white almost yellow/creamy color but more on a somewhat golden side , but i cant tell if that's from the plant ageing or from growing outside in a greenhouse it entire life(?) Its a very confusing little cactus that's for sure
Attachments
One side
One side
CAM02253.jpg (33.11 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
CLose up of tops
CLose up of tops
CAM02254.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Closeup
Closeup
CAM02256.jpg (39.37 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Another angle
Another angle
CAM02263.jpg (36.15 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

More
Attachments
CAM02265.jpg
CAM02265.jpg (42.72 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

I've really studied this plant and have only come to one conclusion. In my opinion, it's unlikely to be a Mammillaria. That's not the same as saying it's NOT a Mammillaria! I'm basing my statement on the fact that I'm not seeing any obvious Fibonacci spirals being formed by the tubercles. Interesting, and I do like it.

Steve
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I like it too. Just wish i had a name for it lol!
Maybe i could send u a pup onzuka its got enough of them and still making more lol
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

This is one that my friend has Maybe to help with id, incase my camera is really bad..
Attachments
IMG_8511-1.jpg
IMG_8511-1.jpg (19.69 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As Ian says Arizona Snowcap has far more robust spines. If a Mammillaria or Pygmaeocereus it should be large enough to flower next year and the very different flowers would certainly identify it.

The problem with Pygmaeocereus is the so called species are so mixed up since so many different looking plants go around under the same name, plus it is hard to get hold of some of the original descriptions to really sort them out. For instance this one named as P. familiaris if you scroll down this link:-

http://cactus.rastislav.net/forum/viewt ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet look at this one claiming to be P. familiaris too:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/PYGMAE ... liaris.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your plant is certainly better grown than your friends KittieKat.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

i'd go with some kind of the cereus family, because of the ribs, soft spines and branching
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
iann

Post by iann »

I see nothing in the closeups to suggest this is a Mammillaria.
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

That's what i told him ian, but still can't really place WHAT this little clump of cuteness is yet!

Idk snarfie , I'll search around see if anything looks close to yr suggestions.

DaveW, i wish i could take the credit for it looking like its in good shape but, i can't. I've literally only have had this guy for about 2-3 month's soo far. Maybe it will flower for me this summer or spring! Well see i guess! If anyone has any suggestions on what it's id is-orv kno what it is, reply below. Thanks
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

What about Mammillaria elongata 'Gold Nugget'?
Although typically more golden-spined than yours, I've seen some that are almost pure white.
iann

Post by iann »

Minime8484 wrote:What about Mammillaria elongata 'Gold Nugget'?
Although typically more golden-spined than yours, I've seen some that are almost pure white.
It isn't Mammillaria elongata. The spines are all wrong and the tubercle arrangement is unlikely. I don't think its a Mammillaria at all. Look close at a Mammillaria, M. elongata is a good one to pick and I think you have one handy. It has a spray of spines (radials) around the edge of the tubercle. Then it may have one or two sticking out from near the centre of the areoles (centrals). All Mammillarias follow this pattern with minor variations and occasional exceptions for mutants like 'Arizona Snowcap'. The plant in the photo has a spray of spines all over the areole, likely to be a South American cactus.
--ian