Eriosyce ebenacantha

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
toson

Eriosyce ebenacantha

Post by toson »

I confused when i saw the label ,it refered in 'Eriosyce. The Genus revised, amplified' by Kattermann no further description or illustration.Only i'm sure it's taltalensis ,i wonder the species E.ebenacantha exist?
IMG_8551.JPG
IMG_8551.JPG (153.05 KiB) Viewed 729 times
IMG_8569.JPG
IMG_8569.JPG (115.46 KiB) Viewed 729 times
IMG_8425.JPG
IMG_8425.JPG (134.09 KiB) Viewed 729 times
DaveW

Re: Eriosyce ebenacantha

Post by DaveW »

Monville did publish Echinocactus ebenacanthus. I am not sure why E. taltalensis is preferred to it by Kattermann, but probably it was considered a nomen confusum (a confused name that could not now be reliably identified) otherwise the oldest valid name always takes priority unless the later name is conserved. As with hankeana, fusca and cachytaensis these names still go around in dealers seed lists.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... benacantha

From the Schumann illustration (assuming it was the same plant as Monville's) with whitish flowers the original ebenacantha was probably E. paucicostata rather than the pink/purple flowered E. taltalensis of Hutchison. However Fred Kattermann lumped a lot of Ritter's whitish flowered species into E. taltalensis as well, therefore it depends how broad your concept of species is.

http://plantillustrations.org/illustrat ... n=1&size=0
toson

Post by toson »

it seems the color of flower makes the answer.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

toson, question.
Why are your plants always red? Stressing out, strong sunlight(like my stenocereus), other reasons?
toson

Post by toson »

it depends on many factors,some species turns withered color suffer from strong sunlight,some turn red when absorb much UVB for long.it is very common in eriosyce.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

So its like the stenocereus then. Was pretty weird the first time(thought it was some kinda viral infection or something), but then it got normal.
btw, do you know which plants turn purple on UV light?
toson

Post by toson »

stefan m. wrote:So its like the stenocereus then. Was pretty weird the first time(thought it was some kinda viral infection or something), but then it got normal.
btw, do you know which plants turn purple on UV light?
i just plant copiapoa and eriosyce ,know little about other cacti species.it's a magic of proanthocyanidin,a lot of young copiapoa in viridis body turn purple under strong UVB light in habitat.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Think ive seen something similar pop out on my pachycereus pringlei and echinocactus ingens. A curious process, while most cacti get sunburn, some simply do what chameleons do. Would probably appreciate you help iding stuff later on, ive sown 8 eriosice mixes in two trays,and both germinated.
toson

Post by toson »

stefan m. wrote:Think ive seen something similar pop out on my pachycereus pringlei and echinocactus ingens. A curious process, while most cacti get sunburn, some simply do what chameleons do. Would probably appreciate you help iding stuff later on, ive sown 8 eriosice mixes in two trays,and both germinated.
Getting sunburn? the most possibility is they are not used to the new culvation conditions,the strong sunlight, they need a process and time to adapt to new conditions.Most cacti need light shades in summer coz' they grown up in culvation.
toson

Post by toson »

copiapoa montana(left) and copiapoa grandiflora, the purple body of montana with wax shows it grown up in strong UVB.
IMG_8006.JPG
IMG_8006.JPG (109.66 KiB) Viewed 666 times
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Most cacti need light shades in summer coz' they grown up in culvation
Not really an issue for most (east and west), but for some light shade causes etiolation for me(though i was still half baked as a grower at the time). The real issues is figuring out what each individual plant needs, and mind you, i favor ferocacti and echinocacti over anything else, since their conditions are easiest to get correct.
toson

Post by toson »

individual needs..yeah there are several key points u'd pay attention to. one of the important is its root
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Soil hasnt been an issue for most , except jungle cacti(only ones ive got to grow good are shlumbergeras and that one hatiora..), though for some , i have made a "cheap" alternative for the soil and watered too much and lost the plants.
(this was 4 years ago however)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It is the equivalent of humans tanning or getting sunburn. Initially you just tan to reduce the suns exposure, but if it is to excess you sunburn. It is a form of stress and as with humans sweating it can depend whether the plant can transpire enough to keep it cool, therefore depends on root activity or condition and soil dryness. Which is why with two similar plants or seedlings close together one can show stress colours whilst the other does not, since all plants are individuals just like humans and whereas one will tan the other will sunburn.

With our plants coming from sunny dry regions and less able to transpire to keep cool, stress colours are more normal in our plants than in others from damper if sunny climates.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3030

"In the same way deciduous trees turn color in autumn, sunset hues become visible. The pigment also is found in berries and fruits—and is considered a powerful antioxidant. Anthocyanins, according to Wikipedia, “are not synthesized until the plant has begun breaking down chlorophyll, it is presumed for photoprotection…” i.e. protection from excess sunlight, much the same way melanin tans skin."

https://gardeninggonewild.com/?p=17919
toson

Post by toson »

so i said one of the important is root