Is the first the last?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Is the first the last?

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote:... Did ever flower?
No, much to my disappointment it never has flowered.

ElieEstephane wrote:... It must be very rewarding to get it to this size from seed!
yes, this has got to be one of the most rewarding and satisfying things that I have ever done. Planting seeds in the ground and watching them grow to this size is extremely rewarding. Just looking at them gives me a great deal of satisfaction.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
7george

Post by 7george »

WayneByerly wrote:... I'm kinda leaning to an Echinopsis or Echinocereus genus though.

Are you aware of any sites that specialize in Echinopsis or Echinocereus identification?
Beeng this an Echinocereus it would try to branch or make flowers at this size. I am afraid you will have to wait another 50 or 100 years. 8)
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

There is an echinocereus specific website but it's in german. You can maybe use google translate.
Could you please upload a closer photo of the areoles and spines?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Deleted as being a duplicate
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote:Could you please upload a closer photo of the areoles and spines?
No problem.

1 Scale
First another shot of the original with my hand in it for scale. The taller is 8 or 9 inches tall and the shorter about 6 inches tall.
P.S. this picture is NOT in landscape mode as the following suggests.
1 Scale.jpg
1 Scale.jpg (123.52 KiB) Viewed 528 times
1.2 Different set
I have two pots of this species. 4 plants altogether. So I'll include a picture of the second pot (these are only 6 inches or so tall) just in case it helps.
1.2 Different Set.jpg
1.2 Different Set.jpg (130.45 KiB) Viewed 528 times
2.1 top
Top spines. 3 shots at an increasing zoom
2.1 top.jpg
2.1 top.jpg (109.57 KiB) Viewed 528 times
2.2.jpg
2.2.jpg (111.06 KiB) Viewed 528 times
2.3.jpg
2.3.jpg (127.27 KiB) Viewed 528 times

3.1 Side
Areoles from the side. 3 shots at an increasing zoom
3.1 Side.jpg
3.1 Side.jpg (89.14 KiB) Viewed 528 times
3.2.jpg
3.2.jpg (91.49 KiB) Viewed 528 times

3.3.jpg
3.3.jpg (85.23 KiB) Viewed 528 times

I hope these help. Feel free to ask for anything else that you think might help.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yes these are very helpful! I'll look into them as soon as i can
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote:... I am afraid you will have to wait another 50 or 100 years.
HA, HA , HA! Hilarious. I'm 65 now ... I'm afraid i don't have that much time left. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if i have even 1 year left! :D
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:Closest match seems to be http://www.gardeninginarizona.com/Plant ... nnii2.html
Echinocereus engelmannii? I think i concur ... especially because of those really dark spines on the top. How about you ElieEstephane? You concur?
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Saguaro. The second pot is a dead ringer. http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19205
beyond a shadow of a doubt.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:Saguaro. The second pot is a dead ringer. http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19205
beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Stefan ... you are replying without any indication of who or what you are replying to, so i dont understand what you are saying. Maybe its just that i suffer from accelerated decrepitude :lol: , but I just dont get it. Apologies. :-k
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Your plant. The second pot which you have shown is a saguaro. Ive seen mild etiolation on your echinonacatus grusonii behind it, so it pretty much explains why it lacks the barrel-cactus like appearance that young saguaros posses in the wild.
Had my doubts, but the second pair of plants are definitely saguaros. Ergo, if youve sown the same seeds 10 years ago, and got 4 similar plants, this proves that the first pair of plants, which you have requested an ID on, are also saguaros.
Pretty much this proves the no flower and no ofshoot theory.
I intended to grow saguaros, so ive spent a lot of time examining photos on the net of baby saguaros in the event if i were to find one, id be sure that it was what i had been looking for( of course, i got a pachycereus pringlei instead). But now that i use seeds, i can confirm that the plant you have is indeed a carnegiea gigantea.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:...so the one on display was likely a hoax.
You mean the cactus on display at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum? I do not see such a preeminent museum perpetrating a deliberate hoax. It doesn't make sense to me. Mistaken? Maybe. Hoax? I just don't think so.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

True, but in all likelyhood that plants up to five years old are way larger than "no more size than the fingernail length of my pinky finger( im goint to assume around 1 cm) ".To put in perspective, my saguaros sown late may are somewhat as large as marbles now.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

While the saguaro theory has some merit, i'm still not buying it although there is some good evidence but it's not complete. I was researching a different topic and came across this:
Echinocereus ferreirianus
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

It is possible, but... its from a hardware store. Its not that much of a common plant, nor i think itd end up in seed bag at a hardware store. I mean , think about it. its a endagered plant, the kind youd find from growers, but not in stores. On top of that, the barrel/ eriosyce variant is more common . http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Ech ... rreirianus