Cactushobbyman, here I go again

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
cactushobbyman

Cactushobbyman, here I go again

Post by cactushobbyman »

Two and a half years ago I built my greenhouse, last year my sunroom, and this year expanding my greenhouse.

When I first built my greenhouse I did have plans to be able to expand it. The greenhouse is now two and a half years old and last Fall I started looking into expanding it. First issue was the cost of the polycarbonate, wood and the freight to ship the polycarbonate. The increase of cost was surprising. So I started looking into other options. I saw a few used greenhouses, but the cost was even more. And then I saw a coupon at Harbor Freight for 20% off on a single purchase. I know, HF. The first question I had to ask was, “What will be the main usage of the expansion.” Then, could HF greenhouse meet the needs of those usages. I took some time to review a lot of the problems HF greenhouses have and would those same problems become issues in my usages. First, in strong winds the greenhouse could become airborne and fly away. Second, hail damage. In my area high winds don’t occur too often and we hardly ever get more than pea size hail. Then the 10’ x 12’ greenhouse came on sale. With the coupon and the sale price I got the greenhouse for just over $550.00. Like I said, I couldn’t buy the poly for much less than that. Now, I just have to make sure all the issues that have been posted with the greenhouse I can correct and make the greenhouse become a great purchase.

8)
majcka

Re: Cactushobbyman, here I go again

Post by majcka »

Fingers crossed.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Good luck! By the way, ANY greenhouse will blow away in a strong enough wind if they are not properly anchored to the ground. The HF ones might be a bit more prone to it because they are so light but if you properly secure it to the ground it shouldn't be an issue. While I don't have one of my own yet, I know many people with the HF greenhouse. They haven't run into the problems you may have seen on that one website you've probably seen (the one that tells you how to make it extra strong) so I think the quality may have improved some since 2007 or whenever they built theirs.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The first step was to lay out the foot print of the new greenhouse. Next, using a shovel point as a pick to loosen the soil and then let Mother Nature’s rain soak into the hard pack clay and wait and wait. After several months the soil loosens enough to start digging the footings. I dug down 8 inches and will back fill with 2 inches of pea gravel to level the greenhouse base.
a.jpg
a.jpg (188.31 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (196.39 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
c.jpg
c.jpg (193.92 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
To solve the problem of the greenhouse flying away I built a foundation using stained pressure treated wood. Then I mounted the greenhouse base to the foundation and will lower the complete assembly into the footing trenches and backfill with pea gravel up to one inch of the base. About six inches will be buried leaving one inch of the greenhouse base exposed. In addition, I used a bulb auger to dig a hole an additional 10 to 12 inches deep in each corner. I filled the auger hole with cement and drove a 12 inch piece of All-thread through the pressure treated foundation into the hole. How hard is the soil that deep? I bent two pieces of All-thread driving them into the hole. I believe the foundation and greenhouse base will be well anchored in place. Next, assembly.
d.jpg
d.jpg (124.3 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
8)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Very nice!
The long, hard and tedious part is the foundation...but of course, the most important part too!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol and just thing, in my yard I will likely hit Caliche.. we are going to work on the greenhouse/shade house soon here. I will detail exactly how we tie it down and anchor it into the ground when we get to that point. lol
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Always love seeing these builds! One of these day's I'll probably have to head down the same path myself but I'm not fully there as yet. Nearly pulled the trigger today on one of those softsided 6x8 "temporary" things half price at the local bigbox store, had one still in stock but just didn't dare do it as the state of the box was horrid! Years of being stored outdoors had deteriorated the cardboard box to a state where it looked like it could fall apart at the slightest touch so there's no telling what the PVC plastic inside would be like.
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

Awsome job =D>

That's going to be nice and solid for sure.

Hopefully I will get mine in the build process in the nexy couple months. Growth cambers first :wink:
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice looking existing greenhouse and nice looking area and foundation for the next! Will it look like an extension of the one next to it?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I've always admired your existing greenhouse, but I can sure relate to your comments about the cost. Everything is getting so expensive - you've got to do what you can. Even so, I'm sure you'll improve on the design and building of it. And the best part = more room for more plants!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Good photos. Can't wait for the next installment.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

New GH, more cacti/plants...

Cheers
Hendry
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

gemhunter178 wrote:Nice looking existing greenhouse and nice looking area and foundation for the next! Will it look like an extension of the one next to it?
I wish I could add to my current greenhouse but the cost was way too much. Increase in freight has increased the cost on all goods and services. I will try to make the addition look as if it was planned all along. :)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

daiv wrote:I've always admired your existing greenhouse, but I can sure relate to your comments about the cost. Everything is getting so expensive - you've got to do what you can. Even so, I'm sure you'll improve on the design and building of it. And the best part = more room for more plants!
Daiv, it is a risk I'm taking on a HF product. Most of the HF greenhouse will be used for cactus that won't be moved much or for overwintering. Work benches, seed beds and sink are all in the old greenhouse, so I think the HF greenhouse will work as an expansion. :)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The base is now in place. The base appears about 3 plus inches above the soil surface. The directions stated you need one inch clearance to install the floor plate. I was going to add my weed screen and pea gravel before I installed the wall frame, but all the nuts and bolts are aluminum and if I drop them, they would be extra hard to find. So, the floor material will be done later. When installing the GH base some shifting occurred. The base comes in two pieces on the length and width and the splices are not very stable even when it was attached to the footing frame I made. After adjusting and packing the gravel around the base, I was able to set the base as square as possible. On the diagonal I was off about 1/16 of an inch. Since the GH is an assembled only project, I spent extra time to make sure the base was as leveled and squared as possible.
1.jpg
1.jpg (198.51 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (200.68 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (207.06 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
#-o :D