A small collection: 2015 and beyond

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

June blooms

Post by Steve Johnson »

We'll take yet another break from the 2018 review with more fresh material for you...

In my previous post, I mentioned that I may soon be able to give you a small demonstration of how long my Gymno stellatum's flowers last. "Soon" is right now -- the bud went into bloom on 6/12, and here it is still going strong 10 days later:

Interesting to note a couple of things. First, the stellatum's flowers stay open all night. Second, this one slowly packed it in on 6/26, so it may be the longest-lasting cactus flower I have in the collection.

Let's see what else we have from 6/22. I promised y'all that I'd make up for the lack of Gymno baldianum flower pics in 2018, and this year's promise is met:

Also from 6/22, my 2011 "veteran" Mammillaria grahamii:

The end of my Rebutia/Sulcorebutia group's flowering period with Sulco rauschii on 6/24:

Astrophytum 'capristigma' on 6/26 and 6/27:

The star of today's show is Echinocereus rubispinus -- how long does it take to go from buds to blooms? Let's find out. First buds detected in March (3/27):

The buds getting bigger on 4/7 and 4/19, then a small bonus with bud #3 joining in on 6/15:

And now for the blooms on 6/19:

Turn around and smile for the camera!

Big smile!

What a marvelous way to begin the new summer! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
bartab

Re: A small collection: 2015 and beyond

Post by bartab »

Hope you and your cacti are safe. What is amazing is that our chandeliers were swaying back and forth, and our pool water had waves created about 7 minutes or so after this one tonight hit down there. And I am 30 miles east of SF. Edit to add that I just looked up the speed at which earthquakes move, and it must have been 3/4 minutes after it hit down there. The power is just incredible.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

bartab wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:05 am Hope you and your cacti are safe. What is amazing is that our chandeliers were swaying back and forth, and our pool water had waves created about 7 minutes or so after this one tonight hit down there. And I am 30 miles east of SF. Edit to add that I just looked up the speed at which earthquakes move, and it must have been 3/4 minutes after it hit down there. The power is just incredible.
Yesterday morning's quake was a deep one, 6.0 in Death Valley, although no problems here in L.A. Same with the one tonight, but having gone through 2 major quakes (Sylmar in '71 and Northridge in '94), I know it's just a matter of time before California gets hit again. Thanks so much for your concern, and I hope this doesn't happens to either one of us!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
bartab

Post by bartab »

I was in the middle of Loma Prieta in '89. I'd rather not do it again.
Steve Johnson

2018 End-of-summer review (Part 13)

Post by Steve Johnson »

When I visited the Huntington for the first time many years ago, it introduced me to a world of cacti I could only dream about. And given my lifelong fascination with miniatures, it should be no surprise that Turbinicarpus struck my fancy in a big way. Good luck trying to find any Turbs being sold by local nurseries when I built my first collection, although when I found out about a place called the California Cactus Center in the 1980s (known as Maleenee Desert Gallery back then), they actually had one for sale. Ahhhh, my very first Turbinicarpus! What I didn't know at the time was that it could've come from only one place -- no, not the Huntington. It was another place I've mentioned before, Cactus Data Plants in the Antelope Valley. After Woody Minnich liquidated his massive CDP collection in 2007, I was pleased to see 3 of his Turbs showing up when I reacquainted myself with the CCC in June 2011. Of course I simply had to buy all 3, but there are sad stories involving 2 of them. At least they have happy endings of sorts, and the 3rd Turb's story is pretty amazing.

The Turb polaskii family

Or to be more precise about the name, it's Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus var. polaskii. First photo (with a crappy little digital camera) of CDP/CCC Turb #1 on 7/22/11:

It was a nice bonus to get 3 seedling volunteers in the pot. Everything went pretty well until disaster struck in October of that year -- while I had a sneaking suspicion that something might be wrong, I didn't know what it could be. Searching for answers online led me to the forum, and you may be interested in seeing my very first posts here and here. A newbie in my first 21 years of collecting, and still a newbie when I started building a new one in 2011. I obviously had a lot to learn, but I'm a pretty quck study, so thanks to the advice I got from the forum, I was able to give the 3 seedlings a good shot at survival. They were way too small to be in their own pots yet, so they went into the same pot with pure mineral mix replacing the CCC's soil-heavy mix I'd been using in 2011. However, the smallest pot I had was a 3-incher, so my instinct told me that they needed a new polaskii "mama" to replace the old one I lost. No luck with the CCC, but CoronaCactus Nursery came to the rescue as the seedlings' "mama" arrived in April 2012. The polaskii family on 4/27 and 9/23/12:

Those seedlings were awfully shriveled when the family got potted up, so it was nice to see how well they responded to watering in their first season under my care. When the seedlings got big enough, it was time to break up the family in 2015. I kept the biggest, gave the other 2 to a local grower, then the seedling and the CoronaCactus polaskii got their own pots. Now we'll track the progress of each plant.
  • The CCC polaskii
The move from terracotta and "dirty" mineral mix to glazed ceramic and clean mix on 1/4/15, then a bigger pot on 3/14/17:

A side view on 9/20/15 and 10/21/18:

Looks like the CCC polaskii hardly grew at all. But looks can be deceiving, so if your powers of observation are good, you'll see something a little nicer in this bird's-eye view on 9/20/15, 9/18/16, 9/29/17, and 10/21/18:

Being a very slow grower and all, that progress is quite decent.
  • The CoronaCactus polaskii
Once again, the move from terracotta and "dirty" mineral mix to glazed ceramic and clean mix on 1/4/15, then a bigger pot on 3/14/17:

On 9/25/15 and 10/21/18, the CoronaCactus polaskii's growth is more noticeable:

The view from above on 9/20/15, 9/18/16, 9/29/17, and 10/21/18:

The CCC and CoronaCactus polaskiis in bloom on a lovely late-summer day (9/23/18):

Normally I don't keep duplicates of the same species, but there are exceptions -- Eriosyce senilis Sr. and Jr. for example (I couldn't bear to part with the first cactus grown from seed on my watch). In this case, the difference between the 2 polaskiis is striking enough to warrant keeping both. By the way, when they flower at the same time, the CCC polaskii will occasionally produce seeds. I mailed some of the seeds to gemhunter178 in 2013, and I can't tell you how gratifying it was to help him start a new generation of polaskiis coming from Woody Minnich's legacy. You'll see the legacy continuing here. (Jason's macrophotography is excellent, so I highly recommend checking out his thread if you haven't already been following it.)

T. schmiedickeanus ssp. klinkerianus

That was the 2nd Turb coming from CDP via the CCC in June 2011. The plant was already old when I got it, so it was sad but not surprising to lose it in the winter of 2015/16. I assumed that the poor thing simply died of old age, but when I look back at the situation now, I have to wonder if "dirty" mineral mix might've hastened its demise. The klinkerianus wasn't the only cactus that died and needed replacement that winter, and Desert Creations in Northridge was able to supply both. From Northridge to the Sunset Succulent Society show in Culver City, here's what came home with me after I went by their sale table (4/30/16):

I was there ostensibly for the Melo matanzanus (which we will get to eventually), but it was a pleasant surprise to see that Desert Creations had klinkerianus for sale too. I wasn't doing the old Turb's health any favors before it succumbed, so I made darn sure to treat this one right. Here's a younger and much healthier klinkerianus potted with nothing but clean mineral mix from the get-go on 5/8/16:

Exhibiting 2 years of growth on 9/24/16 and 10/20/18:

2 pretty blooms (ant at no extra charge) on 8/2/18:

Sorry old Turb, but this little guy is way better!

T. pseudomacrochele ssp. krainzianus -- a success story

This brings us to the 3rd CDP Turb I found at the CCC in June 2011, first photo on 9/27/11:

The pup you see on the lower right corner popped its little head out that summer. Offsetting Turb species do so with age, so we already know this was another old one when I got it. Unlike the old klinkerianus, the krainzianus is aging quite gracefully, although it took 7 years and correcting a couple of mistakes before I saw how graceful it could be. Here are the mistakes, with a description of what I did to correct them (3/16/13 and 5/18/15):

Can't remember what prompted the first repot, but looking at the pic on the left, I'm shocked by what a lousy job I did when I left so much of the CCC's old soil in the plant's root ball. (Exactly the same thing leading to heartache with my Copiapoa hypogaea that summer.) And adding insult to injury, I repotted the krainzianus in "dirty" mineral mix. The second repot was to move it from terracotta to glazed ceramic, with a good, thorough cleaning of the roots before they went into clean mineral mix. The krainzianus in its new home on 5/18/15:

Clearly not much in the way of fibrous roots, and while the parent plant did okay in "dirty" mix, I was disappointed to see that the pup grew not at all in over 3 years. With a potful of clean mix, things are about to change -- 9/20/15 and 10/8/17:

The parent is looking really good, with the pup finally growing. As we zoom in on the pup, things look even better (9/24/16, 10/8/17, and 10/20/18):

But that's not all, folks! We'll step back and view the entire plant on 4/21 and 10/20/18:

The best of all, with the "chief" pup sporting its very first flower on 8/2/18:

If I had to pick a cactus in my collection that benefited the most from cleaning up the soil-less mix, I think this one is it.

A sweet little group shot on 8/2/18:

The plant on the right used to be Turbinicarpus until the taxonomists moved its name to a different genus. Since I have 3 more Turbs to show you, I'll include it to round out the group in our next installment.
Steve Johnson

You might like this

Post by Steve Johnson »

Woody Minnich's name has come up in a number of my posts -- if you're not familiar with his work, I think you'll enjoy the following:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDRNEfGsDIw
Steve Johnson

2018 End-of-summer review (Part 14)

Post by Steve Johnson »

Turbs with long curly spines are what I remember from my younger days visiting the Huntington's desert greenhouse. When I got back into the hobby in 2011, I found out from Cactuspedia that the genus is larger and more diverse than I realized. As I expanded my current collection, Cactuspedia gave me lots of good ideas, and in today's presentation, we'll review 4 of them making it onto my plant bench.

Turbinicarpus valdezianus

When I went to the California Cactus Center for the Sulco longispina and Tephro inermis in March 2012, they had a few Turb valdezianus in stock as well. Given how unusual it was to see Turbs of any kind there, I couldn't pass up on the opportunity. The valdezianus they offered did display a certain amount of corking, so I kinda figured that I'd be coming home with yet another old Turb. Nothing wrong with that, but I was dismayed at how much the corking had advanced that summer. Okay, maybe I made a mistake by getting an old one this time. Darryl Craig did right by me when he sent the polaskii "mama", so I checked on his website to see if CoronaCactus had valdezianus in stock. Yes indeed -- here's the younger valdezianus I was hoping for, potted and ready for action on 7/21/12:

Before-and-after photos on 5/16/13 and 11/22/14:

The species is a very slow grower, so there's no way my new valdezianus was growing that fast. In the "after" pic, you'll notice that the plant's base was pushed up well above the soil line -- there must be all kinds of roots in the pot! Hold your horses there, pardner. When I got the valdezianus from Darryl, the pot I selected was way too big for it, so I moved it to a smaller one in March 2013. Then I moved it from terracotta to glazed ceramic in January 2015, and we'll compare the plant's roots on 3/16/13 and 1/18/15:

As I'd seen in too many other pots, DG "play sand" fines in the dirty mineral mix settled down into the pot, creating a brick after repeated waterings. And that's what pushed the valdezianus up in its pot. Correcting the problem with clean mineral mix in its glazed ceramic pot:

Wish I knew then what I know now -- 20/20 hindsight tells me that severe corking on the CCC's old valdezianus was due entirely to "dirty" mix. (If anyone is entertaining thoughts that DG "play sand" is an acceptable substitute for soil, think again.) The old guy was still alive, and not being one to toss a saveable cactus, I gave it to a local collector who was happy to take it. Now let's see what clean mineral mix can do -- my keeper on 9/20/15, 9/24/16, 10/1/17, and 9/29/18:

Very nice, and the valdezianus isn't quite as slow as one may think. The species is usually a late-winter bloomer, so my valdezianus flowering in February 2018 was expected. Imagine my surprise when it flowered again in May, and a bud in September? Yuppers -- here's the bloom on 10/2 and 10/6/18:

Could've been just a marvelous "one-off" event or -- my valdezianus might have a longer blooming period than I thought. No sign of buds or blooms in spring 2019, but I'll keep an eye out again in September. Regardless of whether or not it blooms outside of the normal period for the species, I'm quite pleased with how well the plant is doing.

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus

I get a kick out of look-alike cacti, and I showed you an example way back in Part 1. Here's another:

That's Pelecyphora aselliformis on the left and Turb pseudopectinatus on the right (photos courtesy of Cactuspedia). Pelecyphoras are awfully hard to come by, but I wasn't about to give up trying. I did get lucky with a P. aselliformis I found in 2013 (and I'll show it to you in a later post), then I also found its look-alike on eBay. Coming from Planta Seca in Alamo CA, here's the little gem on 2/23/14:

The bottom of the taproot is pointing right at us because Planta Seca was growing the pseudopectinatus in a plastic nursery pot that wasn't deep enough. No biggie, although I had to be careful about not breaking the taproot off when I fed it down into a somewhat deeper pot. This trained the taproot to grow down more, so when it was time to change the plant's "dirty" mineral mix with clean mix, I wanted to see what it would look like down below. The repot on 5/15/16:

The taproot is pointing down a little more, and the fibrous roots look pretty good. Nice thing about tiny pots -- not much in the way of DG "play sand", so the dirty mix wasn't all that dirty. However, the pseudopectinatus could use a potful of clean mineral mix anyway, so we'll see if it made any difference -- 9/21/14, 9/20/15, 9/17/16, and 10/7/18:

Yep, I think it did -- very little growth in 2014 and '15, and the new growth in clean mix is rather apparent. Maybe not quite as apparent in this bird's-eye view on 9/24/14 and 10/7/18, but still worth looking at:

And now for the last member of my Turbinicarpus group...

T. jauernigii

Another idea I got from Cactuspedia, turned into reality thanks to Mesa Garden's large inventory of choice cacti and succulents. First photo on 7/9/13:

As it is with Miles Anderson in Arizona, the extreme heat of New Mexico is not a good place for going soil-less, so Steven Brack had to use soil in his mix. And whenever cacti are moved from someone else's growing conditions to yours, it's not unusual to see the plants undergoing some changes as they continue to grow. Transitioning from Steven's mix to my soil-less mix, let's have a look at the jauernigii on 7/27/13 and compare it with its 2nd summer at Casa de Jefferson Park (9/27/14):

The plant is just starting to lose the "powdered sugar" look of its skin -- that'll be due to the fairly high humidity in my part of L.A. Looks a lot greener too, which is consistent with summers that aren't nearly as hot as New Mexico. There was something about the shade of green that seemed rather odd, although I didn't think much about it at the time. Could that potful of "dirty" mineral mix have something to do with it? We'll investigate -- from terracotta to glazed ceramic and clean mix on 1/18/15:

The results on 9/20/15, 9/18/16, 10/8/17, and 10/21/18:

A side view showing 3 years of growth on 9/20/15 and 10/21/18:

Clean mix made for a big improvement, and the jauernigii looks really good. Now for a small portrait with my Turb polaskiis:

There is a family resemblance, isn't there?

We'll end today's presentation with...

Gymnocactus saueri ssp. ysabelae

Formerly called Turbinicarpus saueri ssp. ysabelae or just Turb ysabelae (taxonomy confuses the heck out of me), this species is rarely encountered in US collections. Not sure why, because it's quite an attractive plant. When I emailed Darryl Craig about getting the Echinocereus rubispinus I discussed in Part 6, he offered to sell me the ysabelae in case I might be interested. Yeah, Cactuspedia got me hooked (again), so here's what arrived on my doorstep a few days before Christmas 2012:

The ysabelae after 2 years under my care on 3/16/13 and 9/20/14:

Not bad, although the plant was growing in "dirty" mineral mix. It could do better in clean mix, so I did something about that in July 2015. We'll compare the roots on 12/21/12 and when the plant came out if its terracotta pot on 7/4/15:

Roots look good -- the plant wasn't all that bothered by growing in dirty mix, but like I've said numerous times before, clean is always better than dirty. And in it goes:

Here's what we get from 3 years in clean mix -- 9/20/15, 9/24/16, 10/1/17, and 10/20/18:

The view from above:

Wow! If you think that's nice, you oughta see what the ysabelae is up to these days, but you'll have to wait for my 2019 end-of-summer review to get the latest. We still have a good chunk of 2018 left to cover, so we'll keep it going.
keith

Post by keith »

Nice job with the Turbinicarpus Steve. I grow allot of Turbs too mostly from seed and they flower after a few years which is also nice.
Smart to put them in a deep pot also they grow better that way and can pull down into the soil during drought.

You have to be careful watering too much especially in Spring or the old ones can split open they have a big root that really takes up water.

I also find the schmiedickeanus varieties can be hard to tell apart . Mine have long spines and the same white flower.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

keith wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pmNice job with the Turbinicarpus Steve.
Thanks, Keith!

When I joined the forum, I was warned (indirectly) that some Turb species are prone to splitting if they're watered too often. Not that I didn't believe it, but I guess I had to see it for myself. I gave the polaskii family its first drench of the year in late March 2013, then I did it again 2 weeks later -- here's what happened:

It was the first and last time I made that mistake, and while the split did heal nicely, the experience told me that it's best to let your Turbs get a bit thirsty between waterings in the spring. Every 3-4 weeks seems about right. Because a lot of Turbs do most of their growing in summer, that's when I'll increase watering frequency to every 2 weeks (my Gymnocactus is on the same schedule as the Turbs). The only exception I can find is T. valdezianus, which grows during springtime, takes a summer "vacation", then puts on a touch of growth in early fall. For that particular plant, I'll water it every 2 weeks in spring, every 3 weeks in summer, followed by a couple of bi-weekly waterings in October.
Steve Johnson

2018 End-of-summer review (Part 15)

Post by Steve Johnson »

In today's presentation, we'll review 2 cacti that are easy to grow, and 2 that are definitely not for beginners. (Don't worry -- if you are a beginner, you won't be for long!)

Stenocactus

Formerly known as Echinofossulocactus (say that 5 times fast! :lol: ), the genus is remarkably tolerant of beginner mistakes. Good thing too, since this young beginner did well with Stenocactus when he killed cacti that were beyond his incredibly limited expertise. Back in the 1970s and '80s, crispatus and multicostatus were the only species I could find at my local nurseries. I counted both of them as old favorites on the list when I reacquainted myself with the California Cactus Center in June 2011, so multicostatus it was. And I managed to kill it with Neem oil spray -- that was the first and last time I would use it on anything. Truth be told, I wasn't exactly heartbroken about it, so thanks to Cactuspedia, I found a Steno that is a lot more interesting...
  • S. zacatecasensis (CoronaCactus Nursery, July 2012)
(If you can say that 5 times fast, you're scary good! :lol: :lol: ) First photos on 7/15 and 7/21/12:

Moving the zacatecasensis from "dirty" mineral mix to clean mix in February 2016, let's compare the roots from its time of arrival with what came out of its terracotta pot on 2/28:

The repot into glazed ceramic:

Growing progress on 9/21/13, 90/20/15, 9/17/16, and 10/20/18:

The view from above showing almost 6 years of growth on 3/16/13 and 10/20/18:

A slow, but strong little grower, and while the zacatecasensis isn't quite mature enough to bloom yet, next year could be the year to see its first flower. Steno flowers are quite pretty, so this is something to look forward to.
  • S. lloydii (Miles' To Go, December 2013)
First photo on 12/23/13:

Lots of wavy ribs, wild long central spines surrounded by attractive white radials, topped by lovely white apical wool on the growth point -- lloydii has it all. And a moderately fast grower, as we'll see in its first season under my care on 3/16 and 9/20/14:

The lloydii was ready for a bigger pot by the end of 2015, so I took care of that the following March. Here's what came out on 3/19/16:

The roots filled the pot nicely, although DG "play sand" fines clinging to the outer roots were apparent. Now we'll free them and plop the plant into the bigger pot and a potful of clean mineral mix:

In the following pics, I'm cropping out the central spines so we can get a better look at the lloydii's body growing over time -- 9/20/15, 9/17/16, 9/30/17, and 10/20/18:

Here it is central spines and all on 9/20/15 and 10/20/18:

An aerial view on 9/17/16 and 10/20/18:

From what I can tell, my Stenos are the only cacti in the collection that didn't care if they were growing in "dirty" or clean mix. Yesirree Bob, Stenos really are tolerant!

Even experienced growers make mistakes, and I corrected the last major one when I cleaned up the mix starting in 2015. But before then, I made a few biggies that bring us to...

Melocactus matanzanus -- 3rd time's a charm

I fell in love with the species when I found one at the most unlikely of places -- a Lucky supermarket! That was back in the '80s when the Lucky chain was still in business and they sold cacti in their floral department. How they got ahold of a matanzanus, I'll never know, but I realized that I had something rare. I did well with it until one blazing hot day in April scorched its skin like parchment. Rot set in within a week, and what happened would be enough to break any cactus lover's heart. That experience really stuck in my memory, and when I started building a new collection in 2011, I insisted on putting it under shade cloth so I wouldn't go through something like this again. What gave me the idea was seeing it shading all of the CCC's plants when I went there that June. I asked the helpful ladies about where I could get shade cloth, and they said "you can get it from us!" What about a Melo matanzanus? "We get them every summer, so I can ship one to you as soon as we have them in stock." When July came around, I received 2 packages -- 1 for the shade cloth (cut to fit, sewn borders, and gromets for tie-downs), and 1 for my hands-down favorite Melo.

A newbie in my first 21 years of collecting, and here I was still a newbie 20 years later. I forgot about something critical the folks at the CCC told me: "You'll need to give your Melo some occasional light watering in fall and winter. If you don't, you'll lose the plant." Sure enough, they were right, when the matanzanus lost its roots as I kept it completely dry over the course of 3 months. Once I caught on to what I did wrong, I tried everything I could to get the plant regrowing new roots. In spite of my best efforts, the poor thing eventually wound up joining the great compost heap in the sky. It was a hard lesson, although when I put it together with the rest of the learning experience I developed in 2012, I knew that I would stand a much better chance of success when I tried again. And I would do a few things differently this time -- leaning out the mix a lot more than I did the first time, watering with acidified water, and not forgetting to give a new matanzanus occasional sips during fall and winter.

My failed matanzanus gave up the ghost in early 2014, and I didn't want to wait for summer to get a good shot at a new one from the CCC. Looking around at a few different sources, C and D Plants came through for me in March. In Part 9, I discussed the Frailea grahliana I received from Craig and Denise on 3/15/14. I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to visit them live and in person, so it was a rare treat to have a wonderful morning with them as I took delivery of the grahliana and the new matanzanus I was originally there for. When I repotted it 3 days later, the only mistake I made was putting it into a terracotta pot, albeit this was a minor one I could easily correct (not a big priority either). Other than that, I did everything else right -- 80% pumice and granite gravel with 20% soil from the CCC mixed in, weekly watering with acidified water and Dyna Gro 7-7-7 in the growing season, and sips every 3 weeks in fall and winter. The C and D matanzanus came through its first winter under my care in fine shape, and it did really well in 2015. Was I done making mistakes? No, not quite. The first was "dirty" DG gravel in the mix, so when I moved the plant to a glazed ceramic pot in February 2015, I corrected the "dirty" mix problem at the same time. Then I created another and more serious one when I thought that the plant wouldn't object to being in a deeper pot. What happened in the winter of 2016 told me otherwise. SIGH #-o ](*,) We don't want to let my 2nd hard lesson with matanzanus go to waste, so I described the experience in detail here.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I wasn't about to give up on getting yet another matanzanus, although my usual online sources were coming up empty. However, a new brick-and-mortar nursery had just opened its doors -- Desert Creations in Northridge CA, so I reached out to them. As luck would have it, they were about to get a few matanzanus right before the Sunset Succulent Society show in Culver City at the end of April 2016. I wanted to attend the show anyway, so 4/30 was a good day to take it in, buy some glazed ceramic pots I needed, and go by DC's sales table for my pick of the matanzanus litter (plus a surprise bonus with the Turb klinkerianus you recently saw). And here's matanzanus #3 all potted up on 5/8/16:

I got the pot that was pretty much perfect for it, filled by 80% clean pumice and granite gravel, once again with 20% CCC soil mixed in. But what's up with those 2 long, thin scraggly roots? The plant came straight from DC's wholesaler to their table at the show, and you'll find more to this part of the story in my 2016 End-of-summer review (Part 2). The new matanzanus surrounded by a few friends at the end of its first summer in Casa de Jefferson Park (10/26/16):

The regrowing strategy I used to such good effect with my Mamm guelzowiana is something I tried out first on the matanzanus, and the results after 2-plus years were amazing. Howzabout this on 9/17/16 and 10/21/18?

A bird's-eye view will give us another angle on its cephalium growth. While adult Melos need fall/winter sips to keep their roots alive, they'll lose a fair amount of water during dormancy, so this aspect of the plant's behavior is included in the following sequence on 9/17/16, 4/1/17, 10/1/17, and 10/21/18:

A close-up of the cephalium on 5/8/16 and 10/21/18:

Something I didn't notice then, but I do now -- looking at the pic on the left, the matanzanus' skin had a sickly color when I brought it home. Giving it the right care to start growing a new root system came none too soon. 3rd time really is a charm, and we'll see the matanzanus again at the end of another summer.

Discocactus buenekeri

The genus comes with the same challenges that Melocactus growers contend with. If I hadn't a clue about what I did wrong with the CCC matanzanus, I wouldn't have even thought about trying a Discocactus. Thankfully, I learned enough to know what I could've done right, so it emboldened me to give one a fair shot. My first choice was D. horstii, but they were impossible to find as grown plants. Searching around for an acceptable second choice led me to Miles Anderson offering D. buenekeri on the M2G website. Here it is fresh from the wilds of Arizona 3 days before Christmas 2013:

The species is known for offsetting freely, but I didn't know how prolific it would be -- this might blow your mind a little bit (3/8/14 and 9/24/16):

Holy cats! I've been growing the buenekeri in the same 80/20 mineral-to-soil mix I use with matanzanus, although based on my overall experience, it was logical to assume that the "dirty" mineral component might be a problem. However, the plant wasn't showing obvious signs of it yet, so this was a low-priority issue. I finally dealt with the matter in March 2017, so let's see what came out of the pot on 3/4:

A certain amount of root die-back during winter is to be expected, but the roots very much alive were a good sign that fall/winter sips every 3 weeks were continuing to pay off. What I didn't show you -- a root mealy infestation that would've gone undetected if I didn't do the unpotting. This was my first encounter with root mealies -- a rude awakening, although I didn't understand the full implications of what it could mean for the entire collection. (That understanding came later when I repotted Eriosyce senilis Jr. on 5/29/17, only to discover root mealies in it too. My experience with root mealies are part of the story being covered here.) I cleaned the nasty things out completely, and while I was at it, I gave the buenekeri a "haircut" as I shared a bit of the cactus wealth with Desert Creations. What was left on the barber shop floor (so to speak):

Then the pups went off to Northridge.

After the haircut, followed by the buenekeri's growth at the end of that summer (10/8/17):

Every cactus in the collection got an Imidacloprid soil soak, so there was no way the root mealies would come back. As to my buenekeri, I repotted it with clean mineral in its 80/20 mix, and the improvement was better than I imagined. I think the "chief" pup might be starting to grow a cephalium of its own -- am I right? We're about to find out (6/30/18):

Yep, I'm right! The buenekeri's whole "kit 'n kaboodle" on 10/21/18:

Way back in 2014, I noticed that the plant starting growing tiny things which appeared to be pups around the cephalium. Or maybe this was a new phase of its cephalium growth? Those tiny things aren't so tiny anymore, so we'll investigate -- the parent stem staring right at us on 10/8/17 and 10/21/18:

What. The. Heck. Is. That??? I'll tell you what it is -- phenomenal growth blowing my mind! There's a cephalium hiding down in there somewhere, and I believe it's still growing as well, although I'll have to wait for some evidence of that before I know. In the meantime, I'm simply fascinated by what's going on. After producing flowers in 2014 and '15, the buenekeri stopped blooming until it flowered again last August. I have a feeling that "dirty" mineral in the mix was holding it back, so unless its flower last year was just a coincidence, the difference with clean mineral could be the reason why we may be in for a wonderful nighttime display next month. If we do, I'll try to get it on camera for y'all. What a fantastic plant!

While Melos and Discos aren't the best choice for people who are brand-new to the hobby, they're not as difficult to grow as newbies are sometimes led to believe. In fact, busting a few myths will help take you out of beginner status quickly, so I'll end today's presentation with a link which does that and a lot more:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=33959
Steve Johnson

2018 End-of-summer review (Part 16)

Post by Steve Johnson »

In today's presentation, we'll review...

3 rarities

And what makes them so rare? It's because they're incredibly slow growers, and nurseries generally won't tie up space growing cacti that need much more than a few years to go from seed to saleable plants. However, we don't have to rely on the brick-and-mortar nurseries of yore, and thanks to the Internet, your patience may be rewarded if you cast about online.
  • Pelecyphora strobiliformis
I made TimN's acquaintance after I joined the forum and started inquiring about Pelecyphoras in March 2013. This was an example of being in the right place at the right time, when he was putting cacti up for auction on eBay as he pared down his collection. I was alert enough to immediately spot his posting of plants for sale, including 2 P. strobiliformis -- a "singleton" and a 4-head. Of course I had to go for the 4-head, and my first eBay auction win led to this arriving from Cave Creek AZ on 4/10/13:

Tim acquired the strobiliformis from another collector who grew it from seed, so the previous owner must've been really patient. The plant went through a hard life when it went blind and responded by growing the 4 heads, making an oddball species even odder -- the perfect selection for yours truly!

The view 5 weeks later, followed by the day after a nighttime watering as the "wet look" gives us a glimpse of the colors under that corking:

Now let's see if there's any progress going from 5/4/13 to 9/21/14:

Good news and bad news in these before-and-after pics. First, the good news -- my strobiliformis was taking up water, and nice to see just a touch of new growth in 2014. The bad news, I was disappointed and more than a little concerned about how far up the corking had gotten. There must be a reason, and I finally figured out what it was. That's right -- DG "play sand" fines in dirty mineral mix. I did something about it in February 2015, so we'll compare the roots from the plant's time of arrival with what they looked like when I unpotted it on 2/14/15:

"Dirty" mineral mix strikes again -- no wonder the strobiliformis was corked so badly! It was due for a move from terracotta to glazed ceramic as well, so here it is in a potful of clean pumice and granite gravel mix:

The slower the cactus, the slower it is to adapt to a change in growing conditions, so we'll assess the results over the course of 4 summers. On 9/19/15, 9/24/16, 9/30/17, and 10/21/18 -- here's 1 adult head...

...the other adult head...

...and the 2 subadult heads:

The entire plant on 9/19/15 and 10/21/18:

Most of the new growth took place last year, and it's wonderful to see the strobiliformis slowly coming out of its shell thanks to clean mineral mix. In 2016, I sorta kinda wondered if the adult heads might be branching, although I wasn't sure if I saw what I think I saw. No doubt about it now -- we have a 6-head strobiliformis! The plant is continuing to come along nicely, so this'll rate an update with new before-and-after photos in my 2019 end-of-summer review. While the plant won't have the "suntan" it took on in Arizona, good healthy growth is all that matters.
  • P. aselliformis
Since I got lucky with the strobiliformis, I was hoping to get lucky again with the other Pelecyphora species I had on my wish list. If you find incredibly slow cacti available for sale, they'll usually be grafted. Being something of a purist, I won't keep grafted plants in my collection, so I was very fortunate when C and D Plants offered a few degrafted and rooted aselliformis scions. As it so happened, one of them was a 4-head, and here's what Craig Fry sent a month after the strobiliformis hit my doorstep:

I asked him about watering care, and he said "treat it like a thirsty seedling -- deep watering once a week in the growing season should be fine". Let's see what we get after 2 and a half years -- the aselliformis on 5/20/13 and 9/20/15:

Not bad, all things considered, and his watering advice was spot-on.

The plant had been in "dirty" mineral mix, so I moved it from terracotta to glazed ceramic and clean mix on 2/14/15:

Most of the appreciable growth took place in 2015, and I had pretty high hopes for better growth in clean mineral mix. The view on 9/20/15 and 9/23/18 -- this is not what I wanted to see:

When the aselliformis stopped growing in 2016, I should've known that something was wrong. But I didn't, blithely watering away until it finally became clear that I was watering a dead cactus. So what the heck happened? I assumed that the roots would grow down more in clean mineral mix. While this assumption is true for all of my other cacti, it certainly wasn't when the plant needed a shallower pot. That mistake really cost me, and good luck trying to replace it since aselliformis is almost impossible to find. Craig informed me that he just lost 2 of his own, so he and I are in the same boat. But I won't give up, and if I ever do find an aselliformis, I'll take the lesson to heart.

As sad as that story is, we'll wrap up today's post with a happier one...
  • Aztekium ritteri
The rarest of the rare -- A. ritteri on its own roots, seed-grown right from the get go! This is another eBay auction success story, and it was offered by a collector in of all places -- West Hollywood. That's practically in my neighborhood, and what a small world it can be sometimes when you find neighbors with cacti online. Even better is when it's something you thought you would never find. First photos on 1/28 and 1/29/17:

The species is notorious for being the slowest grower in the cactus family, growing at a rate of 1 mm. per year. The ritteri I received was 28 mm. in diameter, so this must've been a 28-year-old plant. Or so I thought. When I contacted the seller and asked him a few questions, he said that he did grow it from seed, and the ritteri was only 8 years old. Alright, what's his secret? He was kind enough to share it with me, so I'll quote what he had to say:

"Hi Steve, the 1 mm per year growth might be in habitat. My A. hintonii's grow around 2 cm a year, and I get 0.5-0.75 cm per year on A ritteri. (For A. valdezii, I only have grafted ones, so data is irrelevant). I grow in a heavy pumice mix (80%), with 20% compost (with no peat moss or pine park). I use 20-20-20 fertilizer, which I use full strength twice a month in spring, half strength weekly in summer. Grown under 40-50% shade cloth. Good luck!"

In the wild, Aztekium's native soil contains limestone or gypsum. Since Calcium is a natural growth inhibitor, the absence of a Calcium supplement in his mix would explain the better growth rate of his Aztekiums, the ritteri included. And while the seller's mix is nice and lean, there's nothing leaner than pumice and granite gravel, so my ritteri has been in clean mineral mix from the start. (Not even a hint of limestone added, by the way.) The smallest pot I had is a 2" terracotta pot (sealed with clear acrylic), and my only concern was with a really small set of roots that would have to grow in more. Using the same regrowing strategy I applied to my Mamm guelzowiana and Melo matazanus, the plant rewarded me with a wonderful summer of growth. And flowering too -- here it is on 3/17 and 9/27/17, bud included on the right:

A side view on 1/29, then the bud blooming on 9/29:

We'll get a closer look at that flower:

A "twofer" on 10/1/17:

From the end of one summer to the end of another (10/21/18 on the right):

The seller was using way more fertilizer than I do, so I think that's why I can't match his growth rate. However, if your powers of observation are good, you'll see respectable growth in 2018. The ritteri did bloom that summer, but I wasn't able to get it on camera. My little gem is at it again, and this time I took photos, so I'll include them in my 2019 review.

We're down to only 4 species for the end of summer 2018, and with our current summer in full swing, I'm building a nice archive of new pics just for you. Let's keep the party going, my friends!
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Post by Dodi Russell »

You have got a great collection of rare cacti. nice aztekium riterri you have there . =D>
Dodi Russell

Post by Dodi Russell »

Steve jhonson could you pls help me ,what do you do for rats .we have a rodent problem here, every day the cacti eaten if I don't use plastic containers to cover them at night.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Dodi Russell wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:50 pm You have got a great collection of rare cacti. nice aztekium riterri you have there . =D>
Thanks, Dodi! Of all the cacti that have fascinated me over the years, A. ritteri has fascinated me the most ever since I saw one at the Huntington way back in the 1970s. In fact, it became the "holy grail" of cacti, so my luck being able to get this one is really incredible.
Dodi Russell wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:00 pm Steve jhonson could you pls help me ,what do you do for rats .we have a rodent problem here, every day the cacti eaten if I don't use plastic containers to cover them at night.
I've never had any problems with rodents, so unfortunately I can't help you there.
Steve Johnson

2018 End-of-summer review (Conclusion)

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hard to believe it took 7 months to get there -- but we're finally wrapping this up!

Geohintonia mexicana

When I convinced myself that I'd never find an Aztekium ritteri on its own roots, I became interested in Geohintonia for 2 reasons. First, this monotypic genus is related to Aztekium (described in a little more detail at Cactuspedia here). Second, while Geohintonia is a slow grower, it's not nearly as slow as A. ritteri -- and they grow rather easily on their own roots. Quite an acceptable substitute, although not easy to find. But I found one on eBay, when Tee Dee Cacti (Lakeport, CA) put one up for auction in December 2013. My 2nd eBay win arrived on the last day of 2013, and here it is:

Tee Dee sent a potted plant, and with winter just starting, I wasn't in any hurry to repot it. As winter transitioned to spring, repotting time came on 3/15/14, and here's what tipped out of their 2" plastic nursery pot:

Composted soil and Perlite. Ugh! It was a messy process to get those roots cleaned up, followed by a good soak in 1% Hydrogen peroxide, then drying out before the plant got repotted in pure mineral mix. The deed done with a nice little glazed ceramic pot on 3/18:

The only problem was that I had my new Geohintonia in "dirty" mineral mix, although this didn't seem to bother it as the plant put on some nice growth in 2014 and '15. With that said, it should do even better in clean mix, so time for another repot on 5/14/16. Let's see what came out of the pot this time:

Ooh, not bad at all! Now we'll compare the Geohintonia's roots in the 1st repot with what they looked like heading into the 2nd:

Well, well, well -- the plant needs a bigger pot! This one will do just fine:

A before-and after set comparing the above-ground growth in "dirty" mix (9/21/14 and 9/20/15) and clean mix (9/24/16 and 9/29/18):

No doubt about it, clean mineral mix is better. A "wow" factor in this view from above on 9/21/14 and 9/29/18:

It's interesting to note that the Geohintonia has increased its rib count from 13 to 18, and since 18-20 ribs are normal for mature specimens, my A. ritteri's "cousin" may give us its very first flower soon.

Ariocarpus fissuratus

Like Pelecyphora, Ariocarpus is a very slow-growing genus, although they're popular enough to show up at specialist nurseries from time to time. (If you live in the US, eBay will give you an eyeful here.) Can't remember where I got it, but I had an Ario fissuratus in my first collection when I was a young pup. Definitely not for beginners, and the poor thing didn't last long. When I discovered what pure mineral mix could do in 2012, it was a game-changer that encouraged me to try cacti which were beyond the incredibly limited experience I had in my first 21 years of collecting -- Arios included. Not enough space for one on the single-shelf plant bench that started my current collection in 2011, but with the 2-shelf bench that replaced it in the summer of 2013, I put A. fissuratus on the list of new cacti I'd like to find. Didn't take long thanks to CoronaCactus Nursery -- first photo on 7/13/13:

At the end of its first summer on the new bench (10/27/13) to the end of the next one (9/21/14):

It was nice to see the fissuratus actually growing for me. However, I don't think that root-clogging fines in "dirty" mineral mix were doing the plant any favors, so I moved it from terracotta to glazed ceramic and clean mix on 2/1/15:

In its first season with clean mineral mix (3/28 and 9/19/15), followed by the results on 9/11/16 and 9/23/18:

Because the fissuratus is such a slow grower, I honestly can't tell if clean mix makes a significant difference. Regardless of whether it does or not, the plant is growing, and it's all that matters.

I was thrilled to see my first-ever Ario flower in November 2014. After that, no followup flower until 2017, and I was hoping to see a repeat performance last November. No, unfortunately, so we'll have to make do with this -- a bud just starting to show on 10/18/17, then close to blooming 6 days later...

...and a big, beautiful wide-open flower the day after that:

I know the telltale sign of the fissuratus setting a bud, so I'll keep a close eye on this in October.

Parodia subterranea

Going through Cactuspedia's Parodia page, this species really caught my eye in a big way. I couldn't find one from my usual sources -- when all else fails, try eBay! Searching for P. subterranea on eBay, Kyle's Plants came right up. That's Kyle Williams, and I first knew him when he joined the forum in 2012 (Saxicola, where are you?). His reputation as an excellent grower is well-deserved, so I didn't have to think twice about doing business with him. A very attractive selection coming from the wilds of Thousand Oaks, here's my new subterranea on 7/30/16:

"Dirty" mineral mix was a thing of the past before then, so I gave the plant a good start under my care with nothing but clean pumice and granite gravel. Representing 2 years of growth on 9/18/16 and 9/29/18:

Add flowers on top, and the species goes from beautiful to drop-dead gorgeous -- 7/8...

...and 7/9/18:

There will be more where that came from, I guarantee it!

As we end this review, I can't think of a better way to do it than by showing you my most sentimental old favorite of all.

Cephalocereus senilis

The famous and beloved "Old Man of Mexico". They've never lost their popularity over the years, and we used to see them at every place that sold cacti. When I bit the "cactus bug" at the tender age of 12 in 1970, a C. senilis was one of the first plants I got as I started a brand-new collection. Sadly, also not for beginners, and it was heartbreaking to see the senilis rot before it had a chance to start growing. No difficulty finding a replacement way back in the '70s, although my heart got broken 4 or 5 more times before I gave up on trying to grow them. When I went to the California Cactus Center to start my current collection in June 2011, I simply had to try again, and C. senilis was at the top of my wish list. What I didn't realize at the time was that the species had become a scarce commodity at brick-and-mortar nurseries, and even specialist nurseries had trouble keeping them in stock. I was therefore quite lucky to be in the right place at the right time, when the CCC had 6 available for sale. As I snagged one in a hot second, the helpful ladies there said "only 1 to a customer, so you'll need to take good care if it!" With that in mind, the Old Man's story begins with its first photo on 9/27/11:

Replacing the CCC's soil-based mix with pure mineral mix in spring 2012, this is what came out of the Old man's pot on 4/7/12:

Ouch! Getting the plant into mineral mix came none too soon, and my gut intuition told me that it needed a deeper pot so those roots would grow in a lot more. Howzabout a 1-gallon plastic nursery pot? I've never been a fan of plastic, but I was willing to try anyway, so when I returned to the CCC for a few cacti that March, they kindly gave me a 1-gallon pot for the Old Man. Okay, we have the right mix, but with a different problem -- DG "play sand" fines in dirty mineral mix. How bad could it be? We're talking about a gallon of the stuff, and there was only one way to get the answer. Since I identified the "dirty" mix problem in late 2014, the Old Man was a priority when I cleaned up the mix and started replacing dirty with clean the following winter. Preparing to unpot the plant on 2/7/15:

Tipped out of the pot:

Here's the answer (same as what I observed re. the Geohintonia) -- not bad at all!

Roots clinging to the screen on the pot's bottom were a good sign that the "dirty" mix wasn't as dirty as I expected. But as I've said (too many times) before, clean is always better than dirty. The old man in a new glazed ceramic pot and a big potful of clean mineral mix:

Getting taller and taller year by year -- 9/20/14, 9/20/15, 9/17/16, and 10/8/17:

Again on 10/8/17, then here it is sitting next to my 2011 "veteran" Mammillaria grahamii on 10/21/18:

The Old Man sure is grand -- and this old man couldn't be happier!

Alrighty then, we're done for the moment. I can't thank all of you enough for being on this journey with me, and I hope you'll come back as it continues. Cheers and happy growing, my friends! :D