hobs topic 2009

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hob

hobs topic 2009

Post by hob »

new year new beginning.......nothing happens here this time of year ...........except for record low temps, this year sees temps of minus 10 deg C (16 DEG F}

while i was away over Christmas, temps tumbled to 0.2 deg C 34f........everything seems to have survived ok........odd bits survived warmer temps inside............some like Myrtillocactus geometrizans
amazed me by surviving 34 f (1 c) for long periods
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Lookin forward to another great year Hobs. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hob

Post by hob »

Sorry, not been around much for a while :? other things on my mind :?

some nice warm sunshine and a delivery of parts for greenhouse no 2 had me out in the garden this afternoon,
the epi collection went outside for some fresh air and watering

the first flower of the year opened on a succulent

not sure what it is but the plant looks like this with tiny plants growing on the leaves

next to flower will be Pleiospilos nelii

meanwhile in the greenhouse 2 new benches are assembled and the wooden shelves nailed together

a new window opener is fitted

and a louvre window is next to be fitted

all the images were taken with my new pocket camera that i bought for christmas............in these crazy economic times i bought this £120.00 camera for less than 1\2 price

argos
incurable cactoholic
iann

Post by iann »

not sure what it is but the plant looks like this with tiny plants growing on the leaves
Weeeeeed!!! Burn it!
--ian
Tony

Post by Tony »

iann wrote:
Weeeeeed!!! Burn it!
What Iann said!!! dont let it drop those tiny plants, they will be comin up all over the place. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
John C

Post by John C »

Looking good! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Tony wrote:
iann wrote:
Weeeeeed!!! Burn it!
What Iann said!!! dont let it drop those tiny plants, they will be comin up all over the place. :)
...It's a species of Bryophyllum, and it's commonly called 'Mother of Thousands' & for a good reason too.
The new glasshouse is a treat, how big is this one? lot's more Rebutias to be grown! :)
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Looking good hob!
I like those shelves. What type of wood is it? and will you add anything to protect from water?

This is my next project for the GH and my wife is pressing me to get a move on it... :lol:
hob

Post by hob »

cactuspolecat wrote:
The new glasshouse is a treat, how big is this one? lot's more Rebutias to be grown! :)
only 6 feet square :? with 6 feet by 2 feet of open growing bed down one side to experiment with. :D

thanks for the id on the succulent, i will keep a close eye on it. :lol:
CoronaCactus wrote:Looking good hob!
I like those shelves. What type of wood is it? and will you add anything to protect from water?
its pressure treated timber, do you have that over there :?:

http://www.snowstimber.com/t_treatment.asp

it should last for years with no other treatment.

so get building :P
incurable cactoholic
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Things are looking pretty good there Hob :) Good to see ya posting up your progress again :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Ahh ok, did not recognize it. It's usually green over here. It's what i used for the base to attach the frame of my GH.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

cactuspolecat wrote:
Tony wrote:
iann wrote: Weeeeeed!!! Burn it!
...It's a species of Bryophyllum, and it's commonly called 'Mother of Thousands' & for a good reason too.
That's nice, you got to look at the bloom, now Wrap It In A Sealed Plastic Bag and deliver it to the trash. Those little plants will be in every pot in your greenhouse.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi-ya Hob! Glad to see the "Hob's Topic" up and running for the new year! :D
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

I really liked my Mother of Thousands, but it did not like winter...even our wimpy winter. It's dead, but I can probably cut it down and get it growing again. It has a little bit of green left on the bottom. I'm glad though, 'cuz it got to be over 7 feet tall and couldn't support its own weight. I'm anxious for it to get warm, so I can cut it up and re-grow it. No fertilizer this time though. All the little babies, that were everywhere all croaked too. It only got to 32º twice, and not even for but a couple of hours. It even got full of blooms, but they didn't have a chance to open. We were crushed that we didn't get to see the flowers.

Don't trash it Hob...just be very careful to pull up and relocate the babies that fall anywhere you do not want them.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Tony wrote:
iann wrote:
Weeeeeed!!! Burn it!
LMAO!! That cracks me up, reminds me of us CP growers and the weeeeeeed we have called Drosera Capensis sundew, no matter what you do its hard to kill and always shows up in other pots and places it spreads like crazy..

Awsome GH Hob.. :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image