Windowsill and patio growing

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Minime8484

Re: Windowsill and patio growing

Post by Minime8484 »

Love it! Those Arrojadoa are simply amazing plants - so cool. Incredible that yours are flowering for you now...something about the difference between Tucson and Phoenix sets mine on a completely different schedule. Right now almost all of my Arrojadoa (and other Brazilian genera) are putting on new growth; not a single Arrojadoa is looking to bloom. Mine usually start in late Winter/early Spring, so it's nice to see their flowers now!

Have to make it down to hang out with you soon!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Minime8484 wrote:.......... Incredible that yours are flowering for you now...something about the difference between Tucson and Phoenix ..........
I think you are right, Tristan.
.......... Have to make it down to hang out with you soon!
I am looking forward to that.

James
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Of course, I have my weaknesses. :) I also dearly love Discocactus so I couldn't resist including a tray of Discocactus buenekeri growing in 2"(5cm) square plastic pots. I like to grow this species in small containers where the plants flourish for me.

Discocactus buenekeri growing in 2"(5cm) square plastic pots

Flowering Discocactus buenekeri growing in 2¾"(7cm) square plastic pots

James
Last edited by jp29 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Looks great! I read last night and wondered where the discos went. Glad to see you still have them!
Hope all is well,
Will
jp29

Post by jp29 »

george76904 wrote:Looks great! I read last night and wondered where the discos went. Glad to see you still have them!
Hope all is well,
Will
Thanks Will. I do still have most of my Discocactus collection at Dan Bach's Cactus Nursery:

D. griseus

D. subviridigriseus

D. latispinus

D. crystallophilus

D. crystallophilus

D. latispinus

D. tricornis

D. catingicola

D. bahiensis

D. araneispina

D. boomianus

D. buenekeri

D. buenekeri

D. horstii

D. buenekeri x horstii

D. placentiformis

D. alteolens

James
James
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Jim, did I ask you what winter temps do you let the D. crystallophilus etc. get to at night in the winter?
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Very nice! I have a few discos, but I am still missing many, and I recently found out the hard way that D. Buenekeri will got to mush at anything below 45 F, I did manage to save lots of pups though so it wasn't a total loss.
Thanks for sharing,
Will
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Great shot of some amazing Discocactus. Really love that D. horstii!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

BarryRice wrote:Jim, did I ask you what winter temps do you let the D. crystallophilus etc. get to at night in the winter?
Barry, I let the winter temperature go no lower than 40°F (4.4°C) for all of my "lowland" Discocactus -- D. horstii, D. araneispinus, D. crystallophilus, D. bahiensis et al.

James
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

george76904 wrote:Very nice! I have a few discos, but I am still missing many, and I recently found out the hard way that D. Buenekeri will got to mush at anything below 45 F, I did manage to save lots of pups though so it wasn't a total loss.
Thanks for sharing, Will
Thanks Will. My D. buenekeri etc. survive minimum temperatures of 40°F (4.4°C) in my growing environment.

Just FYI here is a pic of two plants : Discocactus placentiformis top, and Discocactus alteolens, bottom, taken during the summer of 2012 -- they were growing outside on the ground at my town home and survived two successive low temperature nights of 18°F (-7°C) during the winter of 2011. They have both survived a few frosty winter nights since and flourish today exhibiting only the stem rib scars shown in the pics. (there is a lengthy story relating to all this that I will omit here in the interest of brevity).

These species have been reported found growing on high plateaus in the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil, where winter frosts sometimes do occur.

And here is a picture taken this morning of those two plants ..........

.......... they continue to flourish bearing flowers and fruit every summer. They are true tough survivors and coincidentally two of my favorite cacti. I do not let them experience winter temperatures below 40°F (4.4°C) now though -- for safety sake!

BTW very low temperatures during the winter of 2011 decimated my Discocactus & Melocactus collections staged in unheated greenhouses at Dan's.

James
Last edited by jp29 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Minime8484 wrote:Great shot of some amazing Discocactus. Really love that D. horstii!
Thanks Tristan.

James
James
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Dear James,

very interesting - and great plants.
Thank You!!!

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

K.W. wrote:Dear James,

very interesting - and great plants.
Thank You!!!

Best wishes

K.W.
Thank you K.W.

James
James
george76904

Post by george76904 »

jp29 wrote:
george76904 wrote:Very nice! I have a few discos, but I am still missing many, and I recently found out the hard way that D. Buenekeri will got to mush at anything below 45 F, I did manage to save lots of pups though so it wasn't a total loss.
Thanks for sharing, Will
Thanks Will. My D. buenekeri etc. survive minimum temperatures of 40°F (4.4°C) in my growing environment.

James

I know that it should have been more hardy, but it was totally my fault. There was a cold snap coming through but I watered because it looked like the weather was going to hold off, however it did not. So my disco was wet at 45 degrees, or maybe I did something else to it, I am not positive. However I will keep them warmer and drier from now on and all will be good.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

george76904 wrote:.......... I know that it should have been more hardy, but it was totally my fault. There was a cold snap coming through but I watered because it looked like the weather was going to hold off, however it did not. So my disco was wet at 45 degrees, or maybe I did something else to it, I am not positive. However I will keep them warmer and drier from now on and all will be good.
I know what you mean George - I have done the same thing - you have the right remedy!

James
James