Growth Over Time - (4) Pachypodium lamerei

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Growth Over Time - (4) Pachypodium lamerei

Post by WayneByerly »

My sister sent me a packet of mixed pachypodium seeds. A good number of them sprouted. This one, a Pachypodium lamerei was one of them. I planted them in 2013, but took no pictures until 2015.

In this picture, the smaller of the plants in this bowl, is what the larger looked like in 2014 when it was about 1 year old. The smaller one in this picture never survived. So the larger of the two plants in this picture is about 2 years old.
046.1 2015-12-27 085.jpg
046.1 2015-12-27 085.jpg (165.69 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
The following picture, on MY hard drive is NOT turned sideways like this. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this system, on a random basis, turns pictures sideways. My apologies. You can see, from the U.S. Quarter in these two photos, by flipping back and forth between this one and the last picture, how much it has grown in a year.
046.2 2016-10-05 DSCF6743.jpg
046.2 2016-10-05 DSCF6743.jpg (116.22 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
And the spines have gotten progressively more ... stout ... over time. The P. lamerei, at this time, is about 5 and a half or 6 inches tall, from the dirt to the crown of the plant ... NOT to the top of the leaves.
046.3 2017-11-11 114854.jpg
046.3 2017-11-11 114854.jpg (107.38 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
mmcavall

Re: Growth Over Time - Cacti & Succulents (4)

Post by mmcavall »

Always very cool to see Pachypodiuns growing
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Pachypodium lamerei is the oldest plant I have that I have sown myself. I have two sown in 1998. They don't grow that fast for me, but they do have multiple arms and are now about 50 centimeters high.
the_cheshirecat

Post by the_cheshirecat »

I THINK I have one of these, and it's my absolute favourite.
Yours looks absolutely gorgeous!
Ty the cheshirecat
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Aiko wrote:Pachypodium lamerei is the oldest plant I have that I have sown myself. I have two sown in 1998. They don't grow that fast for me, but they do have multiple arms and are now about 50 centimeters high.
WAH!!!

Will me your succulents when you die :D :D :D
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

the_cheshirecat wrote:I THINK I have one of these, and it's my absolute favourite.
Yah... That tight thatch of long skinny leaves really does something for me.

Why is it that just looking at cacti and succulents and caudiciforms is so deeply satisfying? It's almost like having your back scratched.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

WayneByerly wrote:
Aiko wrote:Pachypodium lamerei is the oldest plant I have that I have sown myself. I have two sown in 1998. They don't grow that fast for me, but they do have multiple arms and are now about 50 centimeters high.
WAH!!! 50cm! They don't grow that fast for me either.

Will me your succulents when you die :D :D :D
Nic

Post by Nic »

WayneByerly wrote:
the_cheshirecat wrote:I THINK I have one of these, and it's my absolute favourite.

Why is it that just looking at cacti and succulents and caudiciforms is so deeply satisfying? It's almost like having your back scratched.
Mainly because the spines on the cactus and succulents (when they have them) cause a mental reaction similar to the one caused by those spines when they actually scratch your back.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
the_cheshirecat

Post by the_cheshirecat »

WayneByerly wrote:

It's such a goofy-looking plant!
A pear-shaped body, a weird wig and all those cute thorns...
Gotta love them!
Ty the cheshirecat