Growth Over Time - (9) Pachypodium lealii

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Growth Over Time - (9) Pachypodium lealii

Post by WayneByerly »

This originally posted with the name Adenium obesum which has been corrected by a member of this forum to Pachypodium lealii ssp saundersii. The pictures that were used in this posting or created, and sure did, and then erased from my hard drive. Please ignore any further references to this plant as being adenium obesum.

This plant is 4 years old in 2017. It has yet to produce any flower of any kind.

This first picture was taken the year after it sprouted from a seed at my behest. A little tiny short thing with the tiniest little leaves. As small as it was, all those little tiny leaves looked somewhat ... elegant. It was just that it was SO small to have so many leaves.
2014-08-18 001.jpg
2014-08-18 001.jpg (65.39 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Two years after sprouting, it's starting to grow thorns. Not that they are sturdy enough to prick the skin, but still ...
2015-12-27 067.jpg
2015-12-27 067.jpg (135.43 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Starting to look substantial this year. Its about 8 to 10 inches tall.
2016-10-03 DSCF6711.JPG
2016-10-03 DSCF6711.JPG (173.6 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Oops ... I missed the top edges of the top leaves. This picture was taken after the cold weather had already started (Nov 11th), and it's already started to lose its leaves. Imagine this height, with all the leaves it had last year. Approximately 18-20 inches tall with four solid years of growth behind it..
20171111_114844.jpg
20171111_114844.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: Growth Over Time - (9) Adenium obesum (Desert Rose)

Post by ElieEstephane »

I don't think hey are supposed to have spines or grow as tall as fast :-k
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I hate to tell it to you(again) but thats not adenium obesum. Adenium is spineless, spikelless
What you have here is likely a Pachypodium lealii
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yes pachypodium was my first thought
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
teo

Post by teo »

Or Pachypodium saundersii (which seems to be almost the same?)
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

labled as subspecies.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

teo wrote:Or Pachypodium saundersii (which seems to be almost the same?)
It is a subspecies of lealii
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Growth Over Time - (9) Pachypodium lealii

Post by WayneByerly »

After looking at the corrections to the name of this caudiciform, I went to Google, did a search for Pachypodium lealii and found a picture that looked exactly like the second picture from my original posting. That site listed the plants name as Pachypodium lealii ssp saundersii.

Thank you one and all for your assistance in correcting the name of this plant. I appreciate you all tremendously. The fact that you are all willing to take time out of your day to assist me in my identification efforts says something profound about the nature of your characters.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Re: Growth Over Time - (9) Pachypodium lealii

Post by WayneByerly »

This posting is to correct some horrible english usage. The majority are the fault of the voice-to-text transcription that I use on my tablet. It makes some egregious errors periodically, and I have to be VERY careful to correct it's errors. I apologize for not catching these earlier.

WayneByerly wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:17 am... The pictures that were used in this posting or created, and sure did, and then erased from my hard drive...
SHOULD have said
... The pictures that were used in this posting were created, inserted, and then erased from my hard drive ...

WayneByerly wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:17 amThis first picture was taken the year after it sprouted from a seed at my behest.
SHOULD have said
This first picture was taken the year after it sprouted from a seed that I planted ... or something LIKE that.

Once again, my sincerest apologies for not paying better attention. I try very hard to not make these kinds of mistakes so that what I write is a clear and legible as possible so that my readers do not have to labor to try and get meaning from them.