Growth Over Time - (13) Echinopsis-Echinobivia Hybrid

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Growth Over Time - (13) Echinopsis-Echinobivia Hybrid

Post by WayneByerly »

When I first got these in November of 2016 (I have NO pictures of them from last year) they were no bigger than grapes. One was 26mm in height and 22mm in width, while the other was 22mm in both height and width.

In November of 2017, the smallest of the two was 64x45mm's and the largest was 67x50mm's. A fairly respectable amount of growth for a cactus. 22 to 67mm ... that's THREE times the size it was last year. The bonsai bowl that I put these two cacti specimens in dwarfed them when first planted. Now, I'm beginning to think I need to put them in separate containers this following spring.

From 2017. Please excuse my thumb ... I didn't notice it until I did my first preview of this posting.
Echinopsis-Echinobivia Hybrid (S) 2016-11-26.JPG
Echinopsis-Echinobivia Hybrid (S) 2016-11-26.JPG (187.24 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Echinopsis-Echinobivia Hybrid 2017-11-11.jpg
Echinopsis-Echinobivia Hybrid 2017-11-11.jpg (175.62 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Re: Growth Over Time - (13) Echinopsis-Echinobivia Hybrid

Post by stefan m. »

Impressive. I get the feeling that these are seedgrown(not vegetative clones). They look pretty healthy too.
If youll be patient just a little longer, youll be rewarded with what is probably among the top5 cactus flowers(night blooming ones).
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

It has been my experience that the Echinopsis & Echinobivia genus produce the largest and most beautiful flowers. So I bought these two hybrid cacti when they were just about grape-sized (at 22 mm). I have no positive idea whether they were grown from offsets or from seed as they were of the above stated size when purchased. But I suspect that they were grown from offsets as I bought them from the same woman that I bought a different offset grown cactus from. I can't remember whether or not I mentioned it in my original posting, but one of these two cacti already has one of its own offsets. It's about 3 mm in width right now.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

They grow some of the largest, but not the largest.
Im trying out selenicereus(allready geminated) and setiechinopis from seed. I also know that epihyllum, disocactus, and hylocereus are worthy contenders.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote:They grow some of the largest, but not the largest.
Im trying out selenicereus(allready geminated) and setiechinopis from seed. I also know that epihyllum, disocactus, and hylocereus are worthy contenders.
Why not try some trichocereus hybrids?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

cough cough the line between echinopsis/lobibivia /trihocereus is very thin. So there are hybrids between a lot of them. Kinda wanted to point out others than that genus.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote:cough cough the line between echinopsis/lobibivia /trihocereus is very thin. So there are hybrids between a lot of them. Kinda wanted to point out others than that genus.
Yes i'm well aware of that but for the lack of better naming...beats saying those tall echinopsis that are hybridized with other echinopsis to create very large flowered echinospsis.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

The one echinopsis i would call most beautifull is a trihcocereus/cleistocactus hybrid - undisputedly.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote:The one echinopsis i would call most beautifull is a trihcocereus/cleistocactus hybrid - undisputedly.
Yes it is gorgeous!
Had it been properly upright and straight and having a colored flower, this hybrid would be awesome too. Haageocereus decumbens x echinopsis subdenudata.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-11-28-00-33-40-1_1511822287567-1280x1280.jpg
Screenshot_2017-11-28-00-33-40-1_1511822287567-1280x1280.jpg (136.2 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

The flower still ends up in top 10 category....but for night blooming ones. Its like this- id spread them into three categories
1-cactus day-blooming
2-cactus night-blooming(white flowers)
3-non cactus flowers