Story of my suicidal plant

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
ElieEstephane

Re: Story of my suicidal plant

Post by ElieEstephane »

Sliding doors moment means that a point in life where your decisions change everything that comes after it.
So it guess it means experimenting about growing conditions with the babies. Child abuse :lol:
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:05 pm Sliding doors moment means that a point in life where your decisions change everything that comes after it.
So it guess it means experimenting about growing conditions with the babies. Child abuse :lol:
Oh my lord! :lol: :lol:
It doesn't matter how they end up, hopefully they survive but that's not necessary. From that point of view, that sounds really twisted 8) I'm a mad scientist doing mad experiments with the babies.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

And you're worried about the grow light :lol: :lol:
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Lost it... Now I'm a mad scientist laughing alone loudly to plants... Can't ever look my babies normally again... Poor babies
the_cheshirecat

Post by the_cheshirecat »

They're Pinky and The Brain
Yes Pinky and The Brain
One is a genius
The other's insane

They're laboratory mice
Their genes have been spliced
They're dinky
They're Pinky and The Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain
Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain
Brain
Ty the cheshirecat
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

the_cheshirecat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:18 am They're Pinky and The Brain
Yes Pinky and The Brain
One is a genius
The other's insane

They're laboratory mice
Their genes have been spliced
They're dinky
They're Pinky and The Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain
Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain
Brain
Oh my childhood! Do they still air it?
the_cheshirecat

Post by the_cheshirecat »

I think you'll find it on youtube...
Ty the cheshirecat
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

It's almost been a week since last post, but look at the weirdo again! Leaves which looked to be two, has become one (in the middle). Only one normal looking leaf, others are somehow corrupted. There is no pointed tips, only a gap where the point normally is (as you can see its siblings there, they have tiny normal looking tipped leaves) The weirdo is also losing being the biggest one, others are just about same sized now.

Bonus baby. When I got PVN and repotted it, I took one leaf off just in case. It was only half attached to the stem and had little browning going on. I left it with other leaves, and look at it now. Barely seen, but something is about to come out soon. Will they be leaves? Will they be roots? Which ones come first? In couple days my questions will be answered!
weirdbaby.jpg
weirdbaby.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
perlebaby.jpg
perlebaby.jpg (85.31 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Kurt won't die.
Not by an accident.
I'm confident with this.
Nor won't babies.
Kurt is a good plant.

Kurt is doing great, nothing remarkable has happened to it. Decided to take a picture of where the babies are now. Got so many babies, doubles everywhere, one has at least three heads, it has so many leaves all over I can't be sure yet (third one from left).
20180219_152532.jpg
20180219_152532.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
As you can see, one is missing. Well... the weirdness did shed its big leaf and I decided to give it a pot of its own. Partly (read: mostly) as an experiment. 8) Planted it in a 4cl plastic shot glass. I made holes to the bottom.
Poor baby. Day after planted I accidentally knocked the plant on the floor so it got kinda same story as Kurt. The plant itself didn't break but that surely didn't do any good for its roots, they broke... Back to the pot weirdness went. Now it has sticked to the soil and lives. This incident made me think this plant is unkillable by accident. Such a tiny baby doesn't mind if it gets threw around and stuff. This makes me think it's OK to give the babies away, even to the plantkiller friends of mine. As long as they don't get too much water, I believe they'll just live.
20180219_152701.jpg
20180219_152701.jpg (58.99 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
The tupperware environment is just best! The PVN is growing nice and steady. I'll let it be a back-up-plan if something happens to the motherplant...
20180219_152643.jpg
20180219_152643.jpg (33.98 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

My test subjects are doing great. And Kurt is doing great (well I accidentally hit one of the leaves and it broke... AAAAND when I moved it to get this picture, it slipped from my hands. This time it didn't fall)
One more baby shed it's leaf and it has become so tall it can't fit in tupperware not so long anymore. What should I do with it (them, there's three of them), just plant them together waiting to get more mass or something else?
The first baby with individual pot is doing good too. It turned out to be three headed.
I have so many babies I must make up some adopting event for them when they are big enough. :D
somanypups.jpg
somanypups.jpg (123.83 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
somanypups2.jpg
somanypups2.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
echebaby.jpg
echebaby.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

You got a lot of nice babies there Pompom! :)
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

DesertSun wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 pm You got a lot of nice babies there Pompom! :)
Thank you. I counted the heads of them all. There's 18 heads right now... All which first seemed to go with one head are dividing into two or three. The ones with two original heads have now 4-6 heads. I wish I knew before I started this project. Too many :D

Forgot to post the picture of the mother plant! Here it is.
kurt.jpg
kurt.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:16 pm
I wish I knew before I started this project. Too many
You can get a great deal of pleasure from all of your extra plants.

I got to the point where all of the seedlings and offsets and plants that I was growing from leaves were just taking over. So I began to put them in plastic bathroom cups (I put holes in the bottom of them) , and I would take them with me to places I was going. Like the dentist, or the pharmacy. And then I would give them to the employees of these businesses, or even to strangers. I remember one woman in particular looked like she was going to cry and asked me "why was I giving it to her?" The smile that appeared on her face, and the tremble on her lips, when she said "thank you" almost made me cry. You just wouldn't believe what kind of effect that a little bit of kindness will have on some people. Particularly older people who don't have anyone. It costs almost nothing to be kind to people. "Random Acts of Kindness" spread a LOT of joy.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 am
Pompom wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:16 pm
I wish I knew before I started this project. Too many
You can get a great deal of pleasure from all of your extra plants.

I got to the point where all of the seedlings and offsets and plants that I was growing from leaves were just taking over. So I began to put them in plastic bathroom cups (I put holes in the bottom of them) , and I would take them with me to places I was going. Like the dentist, or the pharmacy. And then I would give them to the employees of these businesses, or even to strangers. I remember one woman in particular looked like she was going to cry and asked me "why was I giving it to her?" The smile that appeared on her face, and the tremble on her lips, when she said "thank you" almost made me cry. You just wouldn't believe what kind of effect that a little bit of kindness will have on some people. Particularly older people who don't have anyone. It costs almost nothing to be kind to people. "Random Acts of Kindness" spread a LOT of joy.
That's a very great idea Wayne! Thanks for that, I'll do the same thing when the babies are ready :D
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 am ... Thanks for that, I'll do the same thing when the babies are ready :D
That's entirely up to you. It's just something that I have done before and thought I might suggest it as an idea. I'd be willing to bet if you gave it a little thought you could come up with a better idea. Thanks for even considering it.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a